Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-02-2008, 12:15 AM   #1  
Dorm Dieter

Red face Dorm Yummies?

I'm currently living in a dorm, and I have a meal plan, thanks to having a big college, I've got pretty healthy and cheap choices meal wise, but when I'm up late doing homework and dinner's worn off I don't have much in the way of healthy snacking.

And if anyone doesn't have time, money, or the ability to cook (whether it's a lack of kitchen or lack of skill) it's a college student! So does any one have any good dorm snack recipes, or tips? I should be able to procure it if it's sold at walmart.

Please help! I'm sure these ramen noodles aren't good for me!
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Oh, geez ramen noodles are terrible! They're actually fried before they're packaged, oi!

Do you have a microwave or minifridge?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #3  
Dorm Dieter

I have both !
Oops! I guess I should mention that I'm a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian! That means no meat, but I do eat eggs and dairy products!

Last edited by huggamouse; 10-02-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you have a fridge and a microwave, you've got options!

Snacks:
Microwave Popcorn
Greek or Regular Yogurt (greek is an especially great source of protein)
Veggies and Hummus (yum! Get pre-sliced veggies if you don't have any prep space) or other dips (salsa and veggies is one of my favorite snacks)
Fruits keep well, usually without even refrigeration
Whole wheat tortillas, with any number of fillings (laughing cow cheese wedges, natural peanut butter, etc)

If you wanted breakfast, you could easily keep smoothie ingredients in your room. Some milk in the fridge, protein powder on the counter, and some fruit (frozen, even, if you have one of those little freezer compartments in your dorm fridge). A few ice cubes, maybe, if the fruit isn't frozen. Throw in some peanut butter with a banana and you have breakfast. You can make it lighter late at night when you're studying by using low-cal fruits.

Oh! And for late nights, I always loved sugar free hot cocoa.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 10-02-2008 at 01:10 AM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #5  
Dorm Dieter

Wow, nice ideas, but where can I find hummus in walmart? I really, really have no prep space (or money, last time i found storebought, it was expensive and tasteless )
I like the tortilla idea! I love handmade tortillas, if I can find some I'll be good.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

They have it at mine! It's in the refrigerated section, usually by the fresh salsas (which in mine, are in a refrigerated case along a side wall, next to the cheeses)
Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 AM   #7  
Dorm Dieter

I'll look over there. My college is in a pretty small town, so we've just got the basics here, and Walmart is pretty much the only grocery! X)
Old 10-02-2008, 02:44 AM   #8  
Moderating Mama

If you can't find hummus, you still have dip options. Fat free sour cream makes a great base...stir in salt, spices, etc...even a seasoning packet (like a Ranch dip packet) in a pinch. They're high in salt but easy and quick.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I LOVE ramen and no, it's not good for you. I actually haven't had it in years, but there are alternatives!

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...grfnbr=1339444

Thai Kitchen makes noodle bowls that are around 200 calories and the noodles are just regular rice noodles- not fried. Now, there's certainly no nutritional punch in them, but throw in some frozen veggies or have some raw veggies as a side and it will suffice.

Also, there are so many pre-packaged options for college students in the prodiuce section. I second Mandalinn in looking for hummus and other dips and accompanying them with pre-cut, pre-washed raw veggies.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

You can make your OWN 100-cal microwavable cake!! (Like a warm delight)

2 Tbsp sugar free cake mix
1 Tbsp Vanilla yogurt
Stir together...it will seems like there isn't enough yogurt and it's a little tough to stir together, but it WILL work it just takes a minute.

Mix together...microwave for 2 mins (i think....I would do it for 1 and check it and if it's not done, do it for another minute)

SO GOOD!

Does your dorm have a kitchen? I didn't have one in my room, but ever dorm I lived in had one kitchen per building. If so you could make whole-grain pasta to reheat in your microwave with veggies. You can steam veggies in your microwave now with steam bags you can buy at the grocery store. I've never used them but there are 3FCers who SWEAR by them.

I'm in college, too, and this IS possible!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My advice is head to Macy's and look for a Bella Cucina blender that looks similar to a Magic Bullet Blender. I bought mine for $19. You can make hummus so easily. If you have a fridge, buy a couple cans of chickpeas (or any beans), buy some garlic cloves and some tahini. Throw the can of chickpeas, garlic cloves, a little tahini and a little water (or drain some of the water from the chickpea can if you use the water from the can) into the blender cup and whizz. That is inexpensive, good tasting hummus for you. You can also use the blender for many many other things.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #12  
Dorm Dieter

That cake sounds really good! I think I will try it, it sounds affordable too, but what do I cook it in? D:!
There is a kitchen, but I have a dining plan, so there's really no reason to cook. I mean, I have access to all sorts of healthy options everyday. It's really only at night when I'm studying that I have the problem . All i need is some healthy snack food. like fruit, or granola.(But I hate fruit)

Nelie: I'm not allowed to have a blender in my room. We are restricted to a fridge and a microwave.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #13  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

bagged salads
canned veggies
harb boiled eggs
fresh fruits
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #14  
Workin' It

I did a similar microwave cake thing to the above suggestion in an oversized coffee mug. The recipe turned out to be terrible, so I won't share it, but the coffee mug worked perfect!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I love easy mac... it comes in Alfredo for only 220 calories, and all you need is water. Its like another little meal but with fewer calories, and I know warm food always makes me feel fuller and more satisfied. Just have a glass of water with it, and sodium's not too bad of a problem (like it is with most dorm food!). I also like oatmeal and cereal as 180-250 cal mini meals/snacks.

Good Luck!!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote