Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/147/120

Height: 5'5"

Default Lesser of Many Evils

Hello All:

I have an odd question that maybe you would be able to help me out with.

To celebrate the fact that both the Cubs and the White Sox are going to the playoffs for the first time in over 100 years, the company has decided to have a bit of an office party. They will be serving the following goodies/baddies (depending how you look at it):

Hot Dogs
Pizza
Nachos
Hot Pretzels
Ice Cream

I don't want to be a total party pooper and not have anything, but I also don't want to blow the diet (and the good progress so far) by totally over doing it. The ice cream is not a problem thanks to lactose intolerance, but which of the rest of the foods which are the least damaging calorie wise? I would have Googled it, but this is really general since I can't really estimate calories for these too well.

Thanks!

PaniAnia
paniania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly,
I'd avoid them all. No reason you can't celebrate by hanging out, talking to your friends, sipping your drink. I would hate to be forced into eating something I wouldn't want.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

One hot dog with a bun and condiments (no cheese or chili or anything) would probably be the lesser evil... unless it's a huge sausage/bratwurst. I know what you mean though, it's really hard to be there and not eat when it all looks good.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I am on WW, and I think I would choose the pretzel. I think it is important to enjoy yourself when you are out, even if it means treating yourself a little bit. Those allowances are important. I think it keeps a diet from being to humdrum. When I hit the mall, I usually get a medium cup of pretzel bites, and they are only about 5.5 points in WW speak.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Hot dogs. There's protein and that's always good. If it's vegetarian pizza, a small slice would be okay, too. Can you bring anything of your own?
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

There's always the bring your own healthy snack option - of which I am a huge fan. Of those choices, I would have a half a big pretzel with yellow mustard - but only if they are hot and salty! No sense blowing calories on food that isn't worth it. To me, a hot salty soft pretzel with yellow mustard is pretty awesome! Cold pretzels aren't nearly so good.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

hot dogs, especially if they are the cheap kind sold at ballparks and are served on a small bun, are often pretty low in calories. One regular Oscar Mayer beef frank is about 130 calories. One small hot dog bun is usually about 150 calories. Mustard is pretty low in calories, as relish. So the whole thing would probably come to around 300 calories.

The pretzel is also a good choice. According to Auntie Annie's website, one whole wheat pretzel without butter is 350 calories. My guess is that other hot pretzels are comparable.

I'd would also point out that no matter what you eat, one meal isn't going to blow your diet or all the progress you've made so far.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspank View Post
I think it is important to enjoy yourself when you are out, even if it means treating yourself a little bit.

Ahh, but you see, it all depends on what constitutes "enjoyment" and "treating" yourself. There are times when I get the most enjoyment from staying very strict on plan and EATING those so called "treat" foods would be anything but pleasurable. In fact, sometimes it's avoiding all those foods that I find the most enjoyable and the biggest treat of all. I LOVE when I've gotten through a social event having stayed with my plan. I really find that to be most enjoyable, again, at times.

But getting back to the OP, like has already been mentioned, I would think it would be the hot dog.

And congrats on the White Sox and the Cubs making the playoffs!!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 179/150/140

Height: 5'7

Could you offer to pick up the hot dogs? There are really delicious kosher hot dogs that are actually pretty healthy, and you could grab low carb buns. If theyre just going to be out for everyone you could ditch the packages if your worried people would be bummed by the healthier stuff- I guarantee they won't be able to tell the difference.

If you can't do that, what if you tried to ballpark (harhar) how many calories you will end up eating and exercise a little bit longer each day the week before so you end up having an 'extra' couple hundred calories or so to spend?

But really- life happens. I wouldnt worry about it too much. One day of eating something not super healthy is not going to ruin your diet! I mean, your losing weight to make your life more enjoyable right? This is going to be a fun event, don't ruin it for yourself by over-analyzing.
Hypra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I would go with the hot dog first (assuming it's on a 1lb dog piled with junk)

Next would be the pizza - if there's a veggie option.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Ahh, but you see, it all depends on what constitutes "enjoyment" and "treating" yourself.
Exactly - I can make up excuses and rationalize almost anything to be a "treat" "I deserve." I had to get really serious about what is a TRUE TREAT and what is an EXCUSE to eat off plan.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote