Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Weigh In on Weighing In

I know people have pretty strong feelings about how often you should weigh in and why, so I wanted to hear about what people do.

I weigh in daily. I've read things for and against this. The reason that I do it is that it keeps me on target and if I don't weigh for a week, it's much too easy for me to not weigh for a week and a day, a week and two days, two weeks, as I try and give myself room to correct things I think I did wrong without seeing the actual impact, or to actually just quit because I think I did so poorly. This works for me as well because I know that I retain/gain around my period and don't beat myself up over that, and if I show a sudden gain that doesn't make sense I will look at sodium intake and give it a few days to self-correct.

So. What do you do? Why?
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Hi Rachael, I bounce back and forth. I usually weigh in everyday. If I get frustrated, because the scale is up, or not moving, I'll stop weighing for a few days, or a week or so. It works both ways for me.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #3  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Daily here and everybody tells me not too, but I want to be able to track my weight against what I've eaten so I can tell what made me gain and what doesn't. Plus, I like to look at the graph and see the little line going down and down and down. I do fluctuate quite often, but by the end of the week I've dropped about 1.6 each week except for when AF is in town.

And...I'm addicted to weighing myself. I can't help it.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #4  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Yes, I'm guilty of getting on that scale daily when I shouldn't as well. Jillian Michaels says just weigh in once a week. She's right, it's really the best way to go, weighing in say on Friday mornings at the same time and place, etc. I'm going to try to stop getting on that scale so damn much!
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/170/160

Height: 5'10"

I find for my own sanity that it's better for me to just focus on eating cleanly and working out daily and only get on the scale when my pants starting to fall off.

Last edited by ViolinJenn; 10-06-2008 at 12:58 PM.
ViolinJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolinJenn View Post
I find for my own sanity that it's better for me to just focus on eating cleanly and working out daily and only get on the scale when my pants starting to fall off.
I like that
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #7  
Believe it, be it

That is a good way to go Jenn! But, I think once a week is probably the most realistic to keep on track and for motivation.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

I weigh at least once per day! My official weigh-in is my morning one, though. My weight will often go up and down a pound, sometimes two. If I weighed once per week, I might hit a low day one week, then a high one the next and think I'm not losing when I am. I don't fret over daily fluctuations, though. If I were to go up two pounds and hold it for a day, I might worry, though!

As for weighing more than once per day, it's a curiosity thing. It's interesting to see how it varies throughout the day, with clothes, shoes, etc, after drinking water. (My water bottle is two pounds.) Especially intriguing is how my bedtime weight is always at least two pounds, often as much as five pounds, above my morning weight. I do get especially excited when my bedtime weigh is low, especially if it matches my morning weigh because I know my weigh the next morning is bound to be good.
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessEveryDay View Post
Especially intriguing is how my bedtime weight is always at least two pounds, often as much as five pounds, above my morning weight. I do get especially excited when my bedtime weigh is low, especially if it matches my morning weigh because I know my weigh the next morning is bound to be good.
LOL, that is exactly what happens to me.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #10  
carinna

Although I'm tempted daily, I weigh in once a week. For me personally, I feel like it gives me a more accurate account of my progress. But, to each his/her own.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 346/Ticker/150

I don't have a home scale yet, so I weigh in at the gym scale in the womens locker room before I work out.

I work out, or try to, every other day. I like to get up and go work out at 5:30 am, so I am weighing myself every other day at that time.

Though I usually count the Monday as my official weigh in weight.

For me it helps to see I'm on the right track. Though it can get frustrating around TOM so I don't weigh myself except for that Monday during that time.

I think for each person it's different on whether or not they can deal with it. I knew a girl who worked at a curves once, lost a bunch of weight and became obsessed with weighing herself every hour or so. It was not healthy at all and she was driving herself bonkers over that.
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #12  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

i tend to weigh everyday but it doesn't stress me out unless its the end of the week when i do my actual weigh in
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #13  
Believe it, be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
I think for each person it's different on whether or not they can deal with it. I knew a girl who worked at a curves once, lost a bunch of weight and became obsessed with weighing herself every hour or so. It was not healthy at all and she was driving herself bonkers over that.
Yeah, sometimes we can get obssessed with the scale. I like the Biggest Loser method of once a week, so I'm sticking with that to keep myself sane.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 284/207/165

Height: 5 ft 3

I weigh at least once a day, like a few other posters, I'm fascinated by how often it changes during the day, so some days I weight 5 or 6 times just out of curiosity. I've made my peace with the fact that it will fluctuate day by day, and if I'm up several lbs overnight, I know to watch my salt intake or drink more water. To me, it's waaay too easy to skip a weekly weigh-in because I 'just' had a big meal or I 'forgot' to use the restroom. Like Rachael, One week easily turns into one week plus and I cannot do that again. That's how I got in this situation to start with - self deception!
I only record in my little notebook on Monday morning though.
pengbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/160

Height: 5' 8"

Once a week here on Saturday mornings. Any more is pointless for me because I do stress out. I don't think that there is an easier way to stress myself out!! LOL

Best of luck to everyone!!
poppyseeds is offline   Reply With Quote