Old 09-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #1  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Default Having some trouble...

...meeting new people. I have a boyfriend, but we don't really get to see each other often because he has three jobs. Yes, 3. So that leave me with my best friend who I work with so I see her everyday and then my kids. I would like to be social, but not sure how to do it. I'm not up for chat rooms and putting out ads because it's not me. I'm more of a natural. I'm feeling a bit depressed. I turned 30 this past June and since I've gotten older I've slowed down and I have more patience and realized that I don't know anybody.

I think I'm lonely!
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6.5

Do you attend a church where you might be able to meet new people? Or can you and your BF go out on a Friday/Saturday night where you could meet some more people. I know this is a bit strange sounding, but also check out myspace for people in your area. Great way to even meet some new gal pals! I'm very "normal," fun, have a good group of friends, but I met one of my best friends off of myspace!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #3  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Any type of class you would like to take? Photography, sewing, cooking, music, dancing, computers? They are a great way to meet people!
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #4  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Do you belong to a gym? Or what about taking a Cardio class of some sort? I took a Kickboxing class before and in the class you had to pair up to do a few of the activiites, so that helped out a bit.

I hear ya on the frineds and not wanting to do the chat rooms or signing up... I am on the shy-er side, and other then the few friends that I am not the type to just venture out and say hey want to be my friend? But, I have found that taking a class at the gym has helped immensely.

Good Luck!
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

If you like to read, you might want to join a book club. Even if you don't make life long friends, it is nice to meet once a month and socialize. Also, if you stay home with the kiddos, you could try out story time at Barnes and Noble. Lots of sahm's go it. You can also meet other people through kiddo activities such as soccer, gymnastics or whatever. Those are just some things that have helped me make some new friends.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #6  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

There are all great ideas. Maybe I should take a class or two in the city. I went searching for Flamenco classes in NYC and it's cool to get a way every Saturday afternoon for a bit w/o the kids to do something for me. My kids go to the gym with me (The Y) so I find myself socializing with them while I'm there.

Oh and as soon as my baby turns 3 she's definitely in gymnastics. I used to be a Soccer mom but those days are over. After the games all the kids and parents would meet up at the local Dunkin Donuts, eat and talk for a hour. I miss that!

Thanks guys! I didn't think about classes. Sounds good!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I love the little bug on your profile pic. I thought there was an ant on my screen and kept trying to brush it off. : )
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I saw that bug, too.....drove me crazy!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #9  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

Lol!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #10  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

There's also volunteering, which you could maybe do with your children, depending on what you choose.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Often, local school districts have classes that cover a wide variety of topics. Some are one-night and others run as much as six weeks. I've seen classes on guitar, calligraphy, Dutch oven cooking, CPR, cake decorating, personal finance, self-defense, ethnic cooking, etc. Also, craft and cooking stores will offer one to four week classes on various things. The craft store might include cake decorating. I've taken three different cake decorating classes and only one had a man in it! Most crafty classes will tend to be women as well. When I once took a guitar class through a local school, it was mostly male.

Our local park district has a bunch of classes for young and old alike as well. These are often sporty things.
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote