Old 09-17-2008, 02:41 AM   #1  

Default 60's and Beyond #116

G'day all,

Pleased your hip and your neck got a bit better after your excecises Karen. Just goes to the show that excercise IS good for you

I bet the girls were very cute Trudy. Matilda seems to be 'ageing' by the day. We taught her last night how to eat with a knife and fork and she did remarkably well. She is so knowing, talking in riddles so she doesn't know what you are talking about is almost impossible now.
Glad you are enjoying your computer, it is great to have a reliable, fast computer.

Not much has happened since I posted early this morning

Cheers
Maria
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #2  
suz
suz

S/C/G: 178/150.6/135

Height: 5'3"

Morning All
Its feels like months since I last posted We have been very busy with the garden and farmers market I some how got appointed the offical spokesperson The whole group of vendors have been in the local paper twice and the last one went across Canada to other small villages like ours
We also do a lot of our own canning of veggies and some fruit so we have been busy do that as well
I think we did well with the markets this year if the weather had been better less rain and more sunshine and heat some of the veggies did not do well Hopefully next year will be better

Hope every one is doing well Suz
suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:25 AM   #3  

G'day all,

Nice to see you Suz, you were missed.
It sounds like you have a very busy life with your veggies. We should swap, you have some of our sunlight and we have some of your rain...if only that was possible!

I had a busy day today trying to finalise the American book. I have changed tack and have changed software.
I had some changes made to my computer and THOUGHT everything was backed up but of course it wasn't and I lost a number of files of my book. I really felt like throwing in the towel but instead I used some other software and got a new lease of life on the producing of the book. I hope it will be finished and ready to the printers by the end of the week.

As most of you know, we are semi retired and live of our investments. The turmoil in the American stockmarket has effected us here as well and it has been doom and gloom for a few weeks now.
We (Australia) are certainly not as badly off as the American market but nevertheless we have been touched by the turmoil.
We are seeing our financial advisor tomorrow and hopefully get some good news.

Hope everyone is well,

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #4  
Fun Blonde

Suze, I was wondering what happened to you, but thought it might have something to do with your business. My, that has really turned into a fulltime job, hasn't it? Are you glad it is over for awhile?

Maria, the financial market is all anybody can talk about around here. It is the topic of so many conversations, and I must say, that it is just terribly frightening. I heard that those who are getting ready to retire may not be able to because their 401's have been so slashed. Well, that sure is the pitts! I just wonder how long taxpayers can keep bailing out companies? This is truly a non-partisan issue right now.

Leon had a cold last week and guess what! He did share! I have been so sick. Took off yesterday and today just cannot quit dripping. Boy, I do hate being sick, like everyone else in the world.

Have any of you watched DWTS so far? I have no clear-cut favorites as yet. I do think Cloris Leachman is a bit embarrassing. Her low-cut gowns are a bit much for an 82-year-old. And I don't know most of these people.

My favorit show started last night. Biggest Loser. I am always so stunned at how big people can get! There is a woman who is almost 300 pounds! I just don't understand how anybody who is that big can get around and have a life. Do any of you know anybody that morbidly obese? On man is so sick he can't exercise but 30 minutes a day. How do you let yourself get to that point?

Well, hope everyone is having a good day. Just wish the news wasn't so gloomy.
Glenda
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #5  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi all..

We went away for a few days. It is always great to come home. When we were young, we would go on 4 weeks vacations (I would take extra time off work and my DH's company shut down for 4 weeks in July & Aug). That became too much, and we went for 3 weeks, down to 2 weeks, next came 4 days and this time we were gone for 3 days. I couldn't wait to get home. I have to face the facts, I don't like traveling anywhere anymore.
We upgraded our room to a suite and was so disappointed. Our view was a brick wall with a path beside it so we had to keep our drapes closed all the time. The drain was plugged in the shower so we stood in water while having a shower. The tv room had a hide a bed and 2 hard chairs. The bedroom didn't have a dresser, but did have another fuzzy screened tv. Won't be staying at Country Inns & Suites for a while.
My DH had been fighting off a cold for a while, and it came out full bloom during our trip so I had to contend with "Mr. Cranky" as well.

Glenda, I saw that Biggest Loser show last week and was astounded at the size of these people. 2 of us wouldn't add up to one of them. However, after eating at IHOP, Famous Dave's and Ruby Tuesday's this past week I can see how some people could get this big eating out all the time. The portions were so huge, I would be full and push away a 1/2 plate of food, or more. At Arby's in Canada I buy the "Regular Roast Beef" sandwich. The next one up in size is the Roast Beef with Cheddar. In the USA they start with the "Big Roast Beef" which is like another 1/2 sandwich on top of our Regular. Then it goes to Bigger and then Biggest. After that I noticed the Roast Beef with Cheese is listed. In Canada there is straight fries and curly fries offered. In the USA there are straight, curly, & cheese fries, not to mention potato cakes. If people eat out a lot I don't think they have a chance on staying slim.

Cloris Leachman must be going senile. I was embarassed watching her. Sometimes the dancers get upset with their marks, but I never heard anyone swear at them before. She was lucky to get 3 5's for her dance. No doubt there will be people voting for her to stay while more competent dancers get voted off. I don't know who most of the dancers are either.

My little angel started Kindergarten and she absolutely LOVES school. I can't believe how these years have flown by.

Anyone watching Survivor tonight? I might give it a go.... I will see.

Bye all..

Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #6  

Sorry about the cold Glenda. I know a drippy nose is the pits. If you are not apposed to taking an over the counter med the Allergy med Zyrtec is great for a drippy nose. You can take it for a few days and then when all is under control quite. Also my doctor recommended Afrin nasal spray for 3 days only. It is very addictive.

You asked if any one knew of a person who is or was morbidly obese. Well that would be me. I come from a family who has had many.( I believe this is why I work so hard to not get there) Some still living some not. Plus I worked with some people to get it off. I think it is something they don't realize that has happened until it is to late. Many people never look past their face in a mirror so they don't really see. I've talked to some who really didn't think they were that heavy. It's a strange thing. Also not moving. Most Obese people never even walk around their house except maybe to the bathroom. I agree with Trudy The portion size of food in our US restaurant's is awful. I've gone to ordering the Senior portion and that does help. I am continual surprised at the number of elderly people here who are extremely over weight. Yet they continue on in the same way as always. Strange!
Maria I just saw the latest picture of your grandchildren. I can't believe how much they have grown. My how time flies
Karen L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:46 AM   #7  

G'day all,

How disapppointing Trudy to have such poor accommodation.
We stayed mostly in Super 8 motels when we were in America however there were some that were well below par. We were caught once and from then on I asked to see the room before committing.
Unbelievable that your little angel is going to school, time is sure flying.

Cloris Leachman sounds horrendous, I am not missing much by not seeing your version of DWTS
I just love the American 'So you think you can dance' show, such talented young dancers, a joy to watch.

As far as morbidly obese people, we were very shocked to see so many Americans in this category.
Our first breakfast in America (at the MArriott in LA) came as quite a shock in so far what was served and the HUGE people at the breakfast literally stuffing themselves on dounuts and similar.

I am not surprised the economic crisis is that everyone is talking about Glenda. It will be very bad for America if the government doesn't come to the rescue and it will reverberate around the world.
How this crisis has been allowed to get to this, is a mystery.
It will be the ordinairy person down the street to pick up the tab for the mismanagement of the economy.

We have the football final here tomorrow, any of you with cable TV , do yourself a favour and watch one of the biggest events on our sporting calendar, the AFL grand final We are all hoping Hawthorn or the Hawks will win.

Have a great weekend,

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #8  
Member Florida Chick

Hi everyone:

I have missed a lot while we were away, but will try to catch up with everyone.

We had a good time but were cold a lot of the time even tho' we did bring cool weather clothes. Those northern relatives don't put the heat on until the last possible moment. can't say i blame them with the cost of heating oil, but we did wear a lot of sweaters over sweaters. and we did have an electirc blanket for sleeping. I am grateful that we did not catch any colds while there.

And of course- on the subject of eating. I agree that the portions served are way too huge. If I order something like that, and I am home, half of the meal becomes the lunch for the next day. but yo can't always do that.

I sometimes think that the overeating which allows people to become morbidly obese must be the opposite of being anorexic. Neither can see what they really look like, only what their brain lets them see.

It seems that most of what we did while away was eat. Entertaining always comes with lots of food, it seems. I was doing so well losing before we left, and now I have to do it all over again. Of course I have only myself to blame, but even tho' I tried to be careful, when people don't cook with calories in mind, it does make a difference. I just have to get back on the exercise track, and start over again.

I agree with you all about Cloris Leachman. I hope that she goes next week. I don't hink people should vote for her just because she has been a great actor. Right now I sort of like Misty Mae, the Olympic Champ. But there are a couple of others that are very good, too.

We haven't watched the Biggest loser yet. But have watched it in the past. It is amazing to me what people are able to accomplish with all the coaching and exercise. Of course there is the mony goal in mind too.

Suz: I'm glad your produce stand worked out well for you this summer. You must be a good spokesperson, otherwise folks wouldn't have given you the job.

Trudy: I'm so sorry your vacation was a bust as far as your accomodations were concerned. It is very frustrating to have to pay for an unsatisfactory room.

The American Stock Market certainly has been crazy. We saw our financial advisor while we were away. It is frustrating to know that the greed of individuals and CEO's have contributed so much to the problem. That was what fueled the housing to begin with, and then just got worse and worse. Banks made some terrible mistakes, and people so anxious to buy a home also made some really bad judgements. It took a while for things to get this way, and will sure not be solved overnight. I know the Gov't has to step in, but I must admit that it galls me to know that the taxpayer is having to pay for the mistakes of a few.
I better get off my soap box.

I am not going to cmment on all the posts as i haven't been able to read them all and would probably forget what I read anyway. But I am glad to be home, sleeping in my own bed. finally have all the laundry done, stuff all put away, and now back to the diet plan once again.

Have a fun weekend.

Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #9  

I haven't been here forever. Time to catch up with everyone. The first week of school a squirrel ate a wire in a transformer so we were without electric most of the morning. It was hard to be creative with about 400 kids coming for lunch. Last week the hurricane blew through here. Never thought that one would come to Ohio. We are still picking up the pieces and tree limbs are still coming down. Some of the traffice lights are still not working. There is brush and tree limbs piled all along the curbs for the townships to come pick up. Some people were in the dark for over a week. I can't imagine what it is like in Texas.
My left arm was hurting for a few weeks. I thought I did something to it. Would mostly hurt at night. Then I got tender spots on my hands. It hurt so bad one night D was going to take me to the hospital. Since there was no electric and lots of people worse off than me I stayed home. My hand broke out and when I went to the dr she said I had shingles. I thought you got that on your waist. Lots of medicine later it is getting better.
Glenda I watched DWTS and I think 3 nights is overdoing it. They drag it out too much. Cloris is obnoxious and has to go. I noticed that they cut her off a few times. I like Brooke Burke, Rocko[see that he was on The Biggest Loser}, Misti. Not sure on a lot of them but I know those 3. Loved watching Misti at the Olympics.
Trudy what a bad experience you had with rooms. Your little angel is growing up.
Ann welcome home to your own bed. It is nice to go but always nice to come home.
I agree with you all on the portion size of meals. They are getting bigger and bigger. We very seldom eat fast food but I do like the yogurt parfait at Mickey D's
Hopefully I can get back to the Y this week. My supplemental insurance gave me a free membership in the Silver Sneakers. I miss the exercise but want to stay away till I am shingle free.
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:51 AM   #10  

G'day all,

Ann good to have you back and I can relate to 'there is no place like home'!
I also know how difficult it is when you are away and trying to stay on a healthy eating regiment. We had visitors yesterday to watch the football grand final, nibbles and drinks all afternoon and then today the kids came over and we had hotdogs for lunch which I had not planned all. Oh well better again tomorrow.
You are right about the greed of some individuals Ann, I really don't know how those people sleep at night.

Sorry you have been unwell Peggy, Alan has shingles on our wedding day and it effected the whole left side of his body. I also thought it was something just around your waist

Alan has had a call to ask if he will do another stint in Malaysia, he has agreed to 4 to 6 weeks. Not sure when he is going, we probably won't hear for a few weeks and then get a call to get on the next plane to Kuala Lumper

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #11  
Net browser

Hi Everybody: It has been awhile since I was here. Sorry Suz, I hardly got to know you. I'm happy for you that your vegs sold well. Wecome home Ann and Peggy sorry you had shingles. I know they can be very painful. Are you doing any painting lately??
I saw Cloris Leachman in the show where she put her leg on the judge's desk....now that was certainly a wonderful sight.
I too saw my financial advisor and and got into preferred stocks and away from anything to risky. I felt that what was going on in the US could affect us. I don't care at this stage in my life if I make a lot of money in interest I just don't want to lose any of the principal. So that's done....and I feel better and relaxed.
I have been worried about my brother for awhile now. It appears his esophagus is swollen and it also affected his vocal cords. Cancer of course was the BIG worry and the doctor scoped him twice and finally a couple of weeks ago he sent him for a CT Scan. It took two long weeks for the results and thank God it showed absolutely no cancer. I'm telling you gals I would rather hear the "F" word which I hate then the "C" word which I hate even more. All my favorite shows Bones, NCIS, CIS will all be returning, so no more reruns. My grandson, Keenan (14 yrs) will be leaving for Turkey on Oct. 1st, so we are all getting excited. He has practiced so hard and is praying he finishes in the top 10 in the World's Archery Competion.
Now that the doctor has doubled up on my heart medication I no longer get angina pain and actually feel really good. It would be nice if I could get some of this stupid weight off. I feel I am doing some crazy dance, two steps forward and then two steps back. GEEZ!
It's starting to look like fall in our fair City, the leaves are turning colour and some are already falling off the trees. Maria it's nice that Alan has the opportunately to do more work with the economy the way it is. I know you have worked hard on you book and hope you will be pleased with the end result. Well gals, it was nice chatting with you. It would be much nicer if you all just could pop into my kitchen for tea. Hugs. Sally

Last edited by slavika; 09-28-2008 at 01:42 PM.
slavika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #12  

G'day all,

How nice to see you Slavika, yes it would be lovely for us all to 'pop in' and have some morning/afternoon tea and a chat!
We are like you and don't really care too much if we make a lot of money on the interest but we just don't want our capitol to be eaten away by this crisis.
Pleased your brother has been cleared of any form of cancer.

We are getting things done so that when Alan gets the word to go over to Malaysia, we are ready and do not have to panic to get things done.

Off to get my haircut this morning, way overdue.

Beautiful spring weather the only fly in the ointment is that the road we live on is being resurfaced and there is a lot of noise and dust

For anyone who cares to look at my American book, you can do so here http://www.mesdesigns.com.au/ourtrip.html

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 09-28-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #13  
Fun Blonde

Maria, I am so impressed with your book. I just looked it over and it does definitely look professionally done. I want to read it all, page by page. I have not paid attention to the details. Are we going to be able to buy a copy eventually? This is one of my joys, Maria, since I have not traveled extensively that I love to read and imagine the places you have been. Thank you again so much for working on this so hard and, first and foremost, for your visit to this country.

Peggy, I am so darned sorry about your shingles. My dad had that on his chest and he was miserable. You are right. Never heard of it on the hand. Silver Sneakers? That sounds like a fun place.

Sally, glad you feel a bit more relaxed about your investments. I go from being angry to being anxious that they pass the bailout bill. Just don't know which way to jump. Maybe it is their dire predictions of what will happen without. I think the scariest part is that absolutely no one know what will happen without it. I have read about what went into this fiasco and it is not, as we have heard, the fault of people who just bit off more than they could chew but the greed of financial people who kept producing "fees." Lots of blame for all sides.

Trudy and Ann, glad you are home. In the words of Dorothy, "There is no place like HOME!"

Have a great day!
Glenda
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #14  
Member Florida Chick

I guess everyone must be really busy. Here it is October 4th already and no new posts.

We have been busy doing nothing special. A couple of Dr. appts. some shopping and that is about it.

We were the recipients of a very nice gift today. My SIL's boss passed away a while back, and his daughter is now the boss. She offered Mike a brand new lift chair, that her father had never used. So Mike brought it down for DH. He delivered it today. DH doesn't really need the lift part right now, but it is a nice recliner as well. And who knows a year or so from now what he might need. MIke even brought it in a company truck, then he went to meed the boss lady who is cleaning out her fathers Florida home, and took a truck load of stuff from there back to Virginia.

I have managed to lose one of those lbs I gained on vacation. Just have to keep at it.

Hope you all are having a great time this Autumn/Spring weekend.

By the way, Maria, your American book is lovely. You have done an awesome job. A very professional presentation. You should be very proud of your accomplishments.

Now you just have to get to the Southern part of the U.S. as that is a very different part of the country.

Hope to 'see' you all soon. on this board.

Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #15  

Time is aflyin by. The trees are starting to turn. I got my fall decorations out. Today we took P to a couple of farm pumpkin festivals in Indiana. They had hayrides and pony rides. P picked out a pumkin for me in the pumpkin patch. My dil fell in love with the sweetest donkey. She wanted to take it home.
Ann how nice to be gifted a lift chair. My mil has one and they are so nice. Good going on losing a lb. Any loss is better than a gain.
Maria I am going to take the computer out back and see your book. What a nice way to see all your memories. I can link on to really fast internet out there. So it is back to Malaysia. Are you going to join Alan?
Glenda-silver sneakers is just a perk from my supplemental insurance for a free Y membership. Now that my hand has cleared up I have to get back into the groove.
Well I guess the Bengals are bumbling their way through another game from the comments I hear coming from the other room. Since we were held hostage for their nice stadium you would think they would sometime get it together and play like a team.
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote