Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #1  

Default Advice for a beginner

I'm nearly 60 yr. old but would like to lift weights. I don't even know where to start and it would have to be something I can do at home because I live in the country and would rather not drive to a gym with the price of gas. So....how do you begin? Any good books on the subject?
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

How about using resistance bands? They are a lot cheaper than investing in weights, and they provide the same benefits -- in fact, they are easier on your joints. Reebok makes a set of three different resistances that they sell together -- I bought my set at Target. They come with a DVD and a card explaining additional exercises.

The only drawback that I see from this set is that they do not come with a door attachment. This means to work some of your muscle groups, you would have to get up and down off your knees. If you do not want to do that, you could always buy a single band from a fitness store with a door attachment. This would allow you to do chest presses and rows and tricep exercises in a standing position.

There is plenty of info about resistance bands on the internet. I like the ones with the handles on each end -- but some people also use the kind that look like giant rubber bands. Good luck!
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #3  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
I'm nearly 60 yr. old but would like to lift weights.
Nah...you're nearly 60 yr. old and would like to lift weights. No but necessary here.

Resistance bands are an option for strength training. However since you asked specifically about lifting weights you may be interested in this site as a beginner.

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

This site addresses many of the questions and interests women may have about beginning a lifting program. This is where I first became introduced into strength training. I also like to access ExRx.com This site provides exercises as well as direction for printed material as well.

http://www.exrx.net/

For further variety in lifting/strength training and just exercise in general I like Train with Me Online. A nice mix of weights/bands/bodyweight/and swiss ball ideas.

http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/

Books. Wow, there are a lot of really great ones new as well as those that have been around a while. Most recently many of us have read and implemented "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" otherwise known as "How to lift like a Man Look Like a Goddess" You may wish to check your local library to see if they have a copy. "Body of Life" is another good one I have read as well is "Sculpting Her Body Perfect."

One of the things you will want to do as you begin to lift is to incorporate a good routine for your abs, obliques, and hips flexors. You will be relying upon a strong core or trunk in order to effectively manipulate those weights. Don't worry, lifting in and of itself will also encourage you to stabilize your core and after a while it will be automatic.

Even though you may not want to drive to a gym everyday I would still suggest hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions just to get you started. Developing good form is one of the most important keys to getting the most that strength training has to offer as well as preventing any kind of injury. He or she will also be able to assess your current level of fitness and assist in developing goals for both short and long term based upon your current and desired level of fitness. Just call and see if you can set up time for maybe three or four sessions to get you started. Make a list for the personal trainer of what you would like to accomplish as well as any specific lifts or exercises that interest you from the websites or books you have researched.

Good luck with your new hobby and let us know how we can help you along.

Last edited by Lydia227; 09-25-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #4  

Thank you very much. That should keep me busy for awhile.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

100% second the recommendation for New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm working my way through it for the 2nd time (I wound up travelling 1/2-way through the routines the first time and lost my focus!).

It's really straightforward and the differences you see after just the first couple of weeks are amazing.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #6  

Carol, I'm 63 and have been lifting weights off and on for the last 4 or 5 years. Just start and move up at your comfort level. You want to push or challenge yourself, but not cross the line to injuring yourself. It feels really good to regain some strength, and if you're like me, you're fighting that bone and muscle loss that all those medical folks seem to feel is inevitable as we age.
Water Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Whoops, I'm using someone else's computer and it appears that my old original login is still stored here.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote