Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #1  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default adjustment period? (or, I'm hungry!)

first of all, pardon the lack of capital letters, i'm holding a sleeping baby.

when you first started ww, did you have an adjustment period for your body to get used to your new way of eating? i just started yesterday, and have a daily target of 37 points. i know that is a good amount of points which makes me wonder exactly how much i was eating before!

now realistically i knew i was overeating, but kept on telling myself that it wasn't really by that much. but after i'm finishing my meals, i feel like i could quite easily eat twice that much. will my body adjust to eating less food? i know that what i'm eating now is a reasonable amount, it's just much less than i'm used to.

ugh, nothing like owning up to the reason i'm staying overweight, ouch!
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Could it be what you are eating? I find if I make the right choices I can be full on 24 points. But it is about making the right choices to get the most from your points.

Do you mind posting what your day looked like yesterday so we can help you?
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #3  
Slowly but surely

OK, here goes. I'm still working on making better choices.

Breakfast:
- omelet (3 eggs, ~1 ounce of goat cheese, 1/2 cup of fresh salsa)
- 2 cans of Coke

Snack - banana

Lunch:
- shredded round roast (3 ounces, I actually used my kitchen scale yesterday!) on a french roll with a tablespoon of horseradish, 1 cup of green beans, iced tea (unsweetened)

Snack:
- large banana

Dinner:
- ground turkey, chopped veggies (cukes, tomatoes, onions) and tzatziki in a whole wheat pita. followed by another cup of veggies with ~2 tbsp of tzatziki spooned over it, iced tea

I know that I wasted a lot of my points with the sodas yesterday, something I stopped. I just still feel hungry after the meals. I'm not sure yet if I'm really still hungry, or if I'm in the habit of eating too much/too large of portion sizes. Maybe I'm just used to overeating and it will take me a little while to adjust to normal amounts?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I think one of the biggest downfalls to any diet, is thinking diet is good enough on it's own. Are you exercising? Every time I tried dieting or exercising in my life, I was never successful because I was doing one without the other. I think it is important even if it is a daily walk. I started out walking for about 45 minutes to an hour. Sometimes I still like to just walk. I know it is hard with a baby, but I have found this is the secret for me.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

It could take some adjusting. I have been reading a book called Mindless Eating and it says in there it takes 20 minutes for you to feel full.

Soda's defiantly a waste of points. I do drink diet soda though when I am really hungry cuz it helps me to feel full.

I looks pretty awesome for your first day! The only thing I can recommend is eat whole wheat (like 4 or more grams of fiber per serving) anywhere you can and lots and lots of veggies.

Another thing, replace two of those eggs with egg whites and that will save you a few points. A slice of whole wheat toast with it might help keep you a bit fuller (i know it does for me)

Banana's do not keep me full. What about like half a banana and a 1-2 point snack like bran bites or a yummy fibre one bar!

Other then that it looks pretty good! Seems like a little amount of food for 37 points though... unless they were really big servings!

You should checking out the planning thread for ideas
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #6  
Bringin' sexy back!!

S/C/G: 222.6/181.6/155

Height: 5'5

I remember talking to my sister in law about this. It took me a good 2 weeks for my body to adjust. I felt hungry a lot in the beginning. Not anymore though.
crazy4weightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #7  

I'm on week 2 and I feel ya. I had a major breakthrough at lunch today though. I split an entree with a friend and I still got plenty full. I never thought that was possible! I can see where there is definitely a little bit of an adjusting period.
brittanyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #8  
Slowly but surely

I am starting to do some more exercise. Walking right now, hope to start the couch to 5k soon. All of this is on the treadmill though, getting all the kids outside and trying to walk for any distance is just an exercise in frustration.

I'll try that with the egg whites for the omelet, thanks for the tip. And I will be looking for a different snack other than bananas, they don't really keep me full but it was all we had on hand yesterday. The 2 bananas and 2 cokes ended up using up 12 points. I would much rather have a snack of 13 tostitos scoops and 1/2 cup of fresh salsa for a snack than grab that can of Coke!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #9  
Slowly but surely

Looking at it, some of my point values for foods are higher due to what I'm eating. My yogurt in my tzatziki is made with whole milk (goat milk) instead of low-fat or fat-free, and my goat milk hard cheese is an entire point higher than cheddar for 1/2 oz.

I think I'll take out the 1/2 oz of goat milk cheese (1.5 points) in my morning omelet and have a piece of whole wheat bread with a tbsp of jam instead, for 2 points. That would help keep me full longer.

I felt much better today when I had another snack between meals, since I hadn't wasted my points on a soda instead. So I think part of it is my body adjusting to normal portion sizes, and the other part is me learning to use my points wisely.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/191/135

Height: 5'6"

add in lots of water too - that should help fill you up as well! You are doing great!
ladyscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #11  

I'm still in the "I'm hungry!" stage, too. I think the process evolves. As long as you keep on trying... I think it also takes some experimenting to figure out what gets you full. Adding a big salad with low cal dressing to lunch and dinner majorly helps. For some reason, I never like my own salads, only salads other people make. So, I add some no point vegetables with my meals.

It seems like once my stomach "thinks" I'm on a diet, it wants to eat and eat. It helps me to have low point treats on hand, like the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. How they are only 2 points is beyond me.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I sometimes still feel hungry. I think it has to do with how much I exercise. I work really hard for every pound I lose and I usually don't eat any of my activity points so if I exercise every day I end up going to bed hungry. The weird thing is that I don't wake up feeling hungry though.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #13  

Height: 4' 10"

I've only been doing this two months, and doing it at home with no meetings. You learn as you go along. I remember being hungry in the beginning, but it soon fades and as you learn how to eat better you become fuller faster. I switched to any kind of bread I eat to be whole wheat or whole grain. I take my calculator with me to the grocery store and compare labels. I buy Sara Lee Light bread and can have 2 slices of bread for just 1 point. They make Baked Tostitos that are less in fat. I often have Sunchips with a sandwich as they have whole grains in them. WW makes a pretty good shredded cheese that I use in an omelet that I make with an egg substitute like Egg Beaters. V-8 instead of soda will fill you up. Once I discovered the WW veggie soup I've been eating a lot of that and often have trouble getting in all of my points (27).
There are so many substitute things to eat out there in place of higher fat foods and once you switch over you'll be eating all day to eat 37 points.
DollyLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #14  
GmaTo8

Here's the link to the WW Zero points soup. It really helps make us feel fuller.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote