General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 07:44 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Positive Eating Plan aka
Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.

http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
Old 03-12-2001, 07:52 PM   #2  
Chick

Hey thanks for the welcome back. Looks like a whole new world here. I might have to do most of my posting from work on my much faster computer. The hamsters are working overtime here on my home computer trying to trundle me from place to place.

Everyone sounds great, your gardening inspires me judi.

1200 cals. a day Shebacat? I wonder if I could get used to that? I am in my same routine as earlier, a week on a week off. I really want to break that cycle. Just had a good salad for supper, today I have been on.

Sorry to hear about all that snow - I know you must be tired of it.
Old 03-13-2001, 09:05 PM   #3  
Goddess

Well, food's been so-so, exercise has been non-existent. I've GOT to get back to work on the new me.

I went back to the eye doc today. Just 4 days after the LASIK surgery and my vision is 20/15. My eyes are dry, though, which is a common temporary side effect. Eyedrops take care of that.

It's hard to think about it snowing when we've been having 80 degree temps for the past couple of days.

Donna
Old 03-13-2001, 09:58 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Yes do have snow still....I took my walk in a partial blizzard tonite...and Friday we're going skiing...and honestly I don't feel like it at all.... I'm hoping this snow will turn into rain by then.......shhhhhssshhh don't tell hubby please....

Today was a good day... Took the kids to the show....saw "The Mexican" it was ok, a bit on the violent side but in this town, we don't have much choice and the roads weren't good enough to go out of town. I also found it too violent for my 12 and 10 yr old....altho my son thought it was way cool...

Food and exercise wise I did very good....now lets see how long I can keep it up....

Bannod glad to see your Lazik went well...lucky you!!

Well I'm tired ...time for bed.....

Lana....,,,
Old 03-13-2001, 11:55 PM   #5  
Chick

Good Evening Ladies,

I'm having a hard time getting caught up with everyone, I feel like I've missed a lot. Judi, I gather you are getting ready for another trip? You haven't left yet have you?

My second good day in a row. I think I am going to start Xing good days on my calendar and make a goal 28 days. Next week is our Spring Break. No excuses not to exercise then. Graduation will be early this year May 5. That is so close, I will have no excuse not to get with the program when I have more time. I am thinking daylight saving time might be a godsend in the exercise department as well. I don't know why I have let it slip so the last couple of months. Well, actually I do, two things, the trails were closed and I have been so busy I haven't had time to think hardly. But really, those are just excuses.

Thanks for the review on The Mexican Lana, think I'll miss it as violence is not my thing. I say that and now I will admit to being a Sopranos fan. James Gandolfini is great. I may have to sneak back to the theatre for another viewing of Chocolat, it has joined Wings of the Dove in favorite movie category.
Old 03-14-2001, 12:20 AM   #6  

Ledom, last week we watched the entire first season of Sopranos on video. We just loved it!!! We don't get it here.

Yes, we are getting ready to go to Ca. on Friday afternoon.

Lana, you have snow...you have my sympathy. This was a mild winter here but I am so SICK of winter. I want summer, sun and HEAT! (And flowers!)

Hope your eyes aren't too uncomfortable Bannod. Lucky you temps. in the 80's!!

I have lost motivation diet wise, I have tried giving myself the "health" pep talk and the "attractive issue" pep talk and "eh!!!" I know I have to get with it!

Tomorrow CAN be better. Talk to you all then.
Old 03-14-2001, 09:55 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Default More snow to report......!!!!!!!....ARGGGGGHHHHHHGGGGGHHHH!!!

Thank you for the sympathies Judy..........and I too have lost motivation.....but I have been talking to myself.....and today and yesterday I have done much better......
And Judy ........tomorrow WILL be better........

Take care girls....I have to get going....I will post again later....

Lana......
Old 03-15-2001, 05:59 PM   #8  
Chick

Hey everyone,

Lana, I sure can't complain about snow, but it is blustery and cool (50's after a few day in the 70's), and I'm not getting to do my new sport until the weather changes.

I note with interest the waxing and waning of our resolve on the diet issue. Why oh why can't it be easier?!? Hats off to you Shebacat as our resident success story, you don't know how often I think of you and use your story for motivation. Do you have any advice on maintaining momentum in this quest?

As of this p.m. I have gained 10 lbs. over the winter months. Of course I'm not pleased, but I don't feel too bad. I know I am capapable of much worse. I do want to get it off now and start down the scale beyond that starting now. This has been a good diet week if you don't count the fact that exercise was just a weekend thing. This next week will be a challenge to break the one week on, one week off syndrome that has plagued me for a while.

How are you feeling Bannod? Hope all is well with everyone.
Old 03-15-2001, 11:51 PM   #9  

Hi Ladies!

I think it will be easier with the warmer weather. It will be better for getting out. At least that is what I am hoping.

We are going to CA. tomorrow afternoon so I will post from the road.

Haven't gained but haven't lost anything either....same old ...same old.
Old 03-16-2001, 06:25 AM   #10  
Goddess

Hi Gals,

Eyes are doing fine, but I've got a bum hip. You know those "hip flexors" from the Frim tapes? Well, I seem to have pulled one. It makes it hard for me to walk and to even raise my leg. I'm doing the heating pad, recliner and aspirin thing. Needless to say, no exercise. Not even the treadmill.

Donna
Old 03-16-2001, 09:52 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Default Hi girls.....

I agree Ledom, the "maintaining momemtum" is the most difficult part....How does one STAY motivated.... I was very excited in January when I started this weight loss quest....and now if I want something to eat, I do eat it....and therefore I stay the same, I guess this is how you maintain... But I don't want to maintain I want to continue to loose......

Donna sorry to hear about your hip...take it very easy for a few days... then gradually start warlking on the threadmill again....

We had a beautiful sunny day today.....We did go skiing..and once I was at the hill I thoroughly enjoyed my day... We went with another 2 couples and their kids...so it was lots of fun... Afterwards we all went out for supper.....NO I did NOT stick to diet food for supper....but the rest of the day was fine...and I think that skiing burned quite a few calories....

Well lets keep posted....

Maybe if we posted what we ate every day, and tried to follow the "Prevention Positive Eating Plan" more closely, we could motivate each other more? Just a suggestion.....

Have a great evening....

Lana...........
Old 03-16-2001, 10:36 PM   #12  
Chick

OK Lana, It sounds like a plan to me. The last 5 days have been good diet days and I think I could commit to keeping a food journal online for the next week at least. I know the diet works and makes me feel good. So count me it.

judi where are your traveling to this time?

Bannod, those hip flexor stretches can be dangerous if you're not warmed up or if you push too far. I think I remember having the same problem when I first started doing Firm videos.

Shebacat, are you working hard? I miss your posts.

It is Friday night and Spring Break stretches out before me, a whole glorious week. I plan to get up and hike in the morning.
Old 03-17-2001, 10:23 AM   #13  
Chick

Goodmorning,

I am going to cook today, I have my grocery list ready and am out the door as soon as I finish this post. D is getting up and dressed while I do that and is going to hike with me when I get back. I was just checking out the thread in the exercise forum about weight lifting. Those chicks have it going on! I'm not ready to jump in to the extent those women are, but I have no doubt strength training is the way to go and I'm going to try to move in that direction this week too. So Lana, see you this evening with our diet and exercise logs for the day?
Old 03-17-2001, 10:40 AM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Default Hi girls!

OK, here is my breakfast for today....

- 1 lg w/w bagel w/becel marg
- 1c. raisin bran cereal
- 1c. soy milk...

Lunch:
- carrots and dip
- 1/2c. lentil soup
- 10 crackers
- yogurt

Snack:
- apple
- sl cheese
- yogurt

Another Snack:
2 granola bars (these are my downfall...I should not keep them in the house... or keep them in the house,but not eat any, because I CANNOT eat just one like the rest of the word.....) I'm actually lucky I stopped at only 2, I could have gone on....and on....and on.....

Be back later.....

Later.........

Supper:
- 1 c. fetuccini alfredo....(leftovers, had to get rid of them....i know it's too creamy... )
- 1 oz chicken
- brocolli florets w/ lite dressing

As I look over my food diary for the day, I must say I didn't follow the Prevention Plan at all... some fruits, some veggies, but certainly not enough....and I would have preferred to have eaten whole wheat pasta, rather than the white stuff..... But tomorrow is another day.....

Hi Shebacat, happy to hear you are doing so well, and busy, and still exercising.... Funny how we're all different... I would die to exercise at nite after let's say 8 or 9PM, I'd be up till 1am I think with all the renewed energy.... I would rather get up at 5am....and go to bed at 9:30pm instead... We all do what works best for us and it's a wonderful thing too that we are so different....how boring if we would all do the same thing......

Now I hope someone else will pour out their eating habits here other than me!?

Lana........

Last edited by Lanaii1; 03-17-2001 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2001, 05:36 PM   #15  

Hi Ladies,

Sorry it's been so long since I have posted. Yes Ledom, I've been extremely busy at work. Several people were out on vacation for spring break, and you know what that means......same work load, less people. Sounds like everyone is doing great. I'm still maintaining my weight at 117 lb.....3 lbs below my goal weight. The thing that was different this time is that I wasn't obsessed with the weight loss (how much/how fast.) In the past I kept thinking that if I was thinner, I would eventually get married. A few years ago, I came to the realization that I would probably be single the rest of my life and that I needed to take care of myself now before real health problems start. The key is exercise.....I know it's hard. When I get home at 8:00 - 9:00 pm, the last thing I want to do is exercise. I force myself to do at least the 30 minute Taebo exercise tape. Usually when I'm through, I have more energy to walk on the treadmill or do the Nordic track for 20 minutes or so. Ledom, how coincidental that you are looking into weight lifting too. I belong to a gym and have decided to start lifting weights 2-3 times a week to build muscle. More muscle....more calories we can eat. Donna, I'm glad your Lasik surgery turned out so well. I was thinking about having it done, but I heard you can't wear contacts if it does not correct your vision perfectly. Something to do with the scar tissue on your eyes....is that what you doctor told you? Judi, hope you have a great trip. Lana, sounds too cold for me with all that snow. I want to go hiking and kayaking with Ledom. Have a great weekend everyone, and talk to you sooner.
Closed Thread