Old 09-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default comments

this evening at tea time my father was trying push food on me....
chocolate bisuits....
cakes....
and flavoured mousses (chocolate n buttersctch)....
i resisted point blank saying i didnt want any....
after tea i squeezed past to get water n he barged into me....
n his comment was 'well u shudnt be so big'....
:O ....
trying to force food on me and then saying im too big....
really fricked off now....
hate the way someones opinion like that can have such an impact....
im 135lbs, am i really 'big'?....
grrrrr....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

You know you aren't big. Your father was being very manipulative. Unfortunately it sounds like he was looking to get a rise out of you. I'm very sorry that he had to say something hurtful.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Faerie's right, he probably was trying to get rise out of you. He doesn't sound very supportive. It can be very confusing and hurtful when a parent isn't supportive of your healthy lifestyle. I'm sorry you experienced that.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Sorry to hear that. At 5'7" you're actually at your ideal weight. Even still, if you don't want chocolate biscuits no one should try to force feed them to you. Your dad was just trying to get a rise out of you.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yes, he is completely wrong and was just trying to be hurtful. That's really tough. But try to remember that his acting that way is really about his own unhappiness and not about you. I wish you had better from him . You deserve it. Don't let it change *your* choices!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #6  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Oh my. I could not believe this when I read this! As Taurie said, at 5'7" and 135, you are nowhere NEAR what any sane person would consider "big." You are quite small, actually! That is very hurtful of your father to make comments like that to you... I can relate; my mother has been extremely unsupportive of my weight loss, and it is very hard. You expect that someone who you love will be with you every step of the way when you're trying to do something good for yourself, but unfortunately weight loss makes people act really screwy. But you have every right to be offended, and you can rest assured that what he said was NOT acceptable (and certainly not true)! Hugs for you! You can just use experiences like these to provide more motivation for you--every time you make a healthy decision, you are proving him wrong!
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #7  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

thanks guys....
i didnt give in....
remained strong....
had such a nice evening with the fella last nite....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your father but I see this in a different way. I tell my DS15 he's "fat" as he wolfs down his second or third biscuit/muffin/cake of the day. As the only slim person in our household he knows I say this sarcastically as he's roughly your height and weight and is very lean. If he took offense I would think he was being way too sensitive.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #9  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

^ I know several of my friends who call each other "fatty" when one of them is eating something unhealthy. Between thin friends, just as between you and your husband, it's just a joke because it's clearly not true. However, I think it becomes a different situation entirely when spoken to a person who actually used to be overweight... Her father must know that she didn't like being "fat," otherwise why would she have lost weight? Thus it's obviously going to be a sensitive subject for her, and that's why he chose to make a comment about her weight, rather than insult her in another way--if he's set out to hurt her in some way, he knows that a comment about her weight will be effective. I don't think she is being oversensitive at all. I see the point you're making, but I think this is a very different case.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

At 5'7 " and 135 pounds you are actually within a normal range. Don't know your dad's problem, but just stay strong and know you are doing right.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote