Old 09-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #1  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

Question Temptations?

I'm looking for input from other pagankin out there. In my community, a lot (oh well really, all) of our events seem to revolve around food/potlucks etc. And everyone (except me) seems to bring desserts more than anything else. When I mention I'm watching what I eat I get *tsks* that the Goddess made me beautiful and I don't need to lose weight, etc etc.
Has anyone else encountered this in their community?
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You can say your doctor has recommended weight loss for health reasons. I would decline to discuss it any more detail. A person should be embarrassed to pry about your medical status.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #3  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

I actually haven't had anyone tell me that to my face, however I have heard that. Hmmm I'm not really sure how I would respond to that, 'cept maybe to tell that person that I feel worlds better than I did before.

The folks in my immediate circle are all about weight loss for health reasons.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I'm not a practicing pagan, so please take this with a grain of salt. But, if someone said that to me I would reply, politely:

"Yes! The Goddess made me beautiful. She also wants me to keep myself healthy and love my body, and that means limiting certain foods sometimes."

If you attend these events frequently enough, you may want to do what some other chicks around the boards do in these situations. They don't mention that they're watching what they eat... instead they say these things.

"No, thank you. I don't want any now."
"No, thank you, I'm very full."
"No, thank you, I'm not hungry for that at the moment."
"No, thank you, but it looks delicious!"
"No, thank you. "

And finally, if someone keeps saying "come on come on... just a little!" one person said they replied this way, "Why do you want me to have that so much?" It puts the spotlight on the person offering.

These replies are polite & tend to work well in any social situation, religious or otherwise.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #5  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

I'm very fortunate to be in an understanding group. One of us is a nurse and all of us have one type of body issue or another.

When I told them that I'd started trying to get more fit for my health, they were behind me 100%. There's usually some fresh fruit or veggie alternative alongside the cheese and crackers at our circle.

That said, the people in your community might be more understanding if, rather than telling them you're "watching what you eat" or "dieting," you said that you were working on improving your health through nutritious eating. Focus on the positive and ask for their support.

(Of course, the smart-a** in me wants to suggest a reply of: The Goddess didn't make me fat, I did. I'm sure She'll approve of me getting myself closer to the shape She made me.)

:whistling innocently:
twilit tera is offline   Reply With Quote