View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
mandalinn82
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/191/175

Height: 5' 8"

I personally don't trust a factory organic farming system any more than a trust a factory conventional farming system. In both cases, you have large companies who are making large, negative environmental impacts with little regard for the animals, soil quality, water quality, etc of the land they grow on. The larger factory organic farms tend to do just as little as possible to "pass" the organic certifications, which is far from the original intent of the organic movement...anyone interested in reading more on this should definitely check out The Omnivores Dilemma and In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. They made fascinating reading for sure.

I'm going to be in the minority here, I'm guessing, in saying that I don't personally believe that GMO vs. Non-GMO makes too terribly much difference, based on the research I've read. But I do support labeling laws that enable everyone to make that decision personally, which we don't have in place today.

As for soy, in natural, basic forms I think it probably doesn't cause any problems, but the chemical/processed/factory-type chemicals made from it and put into every processed food known to man might not be so great (whether that soy lechitan or soy protein isolate is made from GMO or Non-GMO soy is, IMO, fairly insignificant, though again, I support labeling so everyone can make that decision individually). Whether that is because processed SOY is so dangerous, or because high amounts of processed soy tend to reflect a very high level of processed food in the diet, I don't think we know yet.

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote