Old 09-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/218.5/170

Height: 5 ft. 7 in.

Smile Timing of exercise?

Hello wonderful women,

Trying to adjust to my unbelievably busy fall... I am keeping up with exercise 4-5 times/week which is good! But I'm finding that the only time I can work it in is in the evening.

I've read that for metabolism's sake, it's best to work out early morning.

But, this fall at least that just ain't gonna happen, honey. I don't like it but that's reality right now.

What are your thoughts/experiences on the whole time of day exercise thing? Does it really matter?? I cut off eating at 8 pm at the latest (sometimes I just don't eat after dinner at all) for the same reason (metabolism).

Have a great day,
hopefuldreamer
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I exercise first thing in the morning, but just because I love to start out my day that way, and right now it's the only time it's cool enough. That might change when it's cold and dark in January (well, cold by CA standards )
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I've actually read somewhere that it doesn't matter when you exercise, the "exercising in the morning is the best" is a myth.
Personally, I walk 4-5 times a week. And only in the evenings, usually after 8pm. Seems to be working for me.
I'm not a morning person, and would never wake up early to exercise... it's just not in me!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I exercise every night except for once in a while on the weekend. I love it! It hasn't hampered my weight loss at all; in fact, I feel that this is one of the biggest reasons I get to eat a bowl of cereal most nights before bed and still lose weight. It has made it a little harder to sleep, however. I try to exercise before I eat dinner, but it has to be like an hour and a half before so I don't get an upset stomach. Honestly though, I usually exercise from 8:00 to 9:00 at night and then eat a good meal.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #5  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I work out early in the morning, because that's what fits my schedule best. I don't think it matters when you exercise, as long as you do it consistently!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #6  
Waves of Change

S/C/G: 201/178/170

Height: 5' 8", wishing I were 6' 4" :)

It's late afternoons for me! "Ideally" I'd like to exercise in the morning, but I'd have to exchange my brain for someone else's first. Not a bad idea but not really plausible. I figure whatever and whenever I can do a workout is good.

-Susan
suenami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 224/218.5/170

Height: 5 ft. 7 in.

Default I feel better now!

Whew. I feel so much better hearing this. I won't stress about the evening workouts. I still prefer mornings, but I am kidding myself to think I'll get up at 5 AM to do it!! Also, I have a stairstepper in my bedroom, and hubby is still sleeping then!! He might be just a tad annoyed.

I exercise on that while watching stuff from netflix. I like the privacy. I'm just not comfortable exercising in public. There's that lousy body image again. Alone in my bedroom, I can do what I want and not worry about anyone's judgement of how I look.

hopefuldreamer
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/207/165

Height: 5' 3"

I workout at night because I just am not a morning person. I figure working out when I can is better than not working out at all. Is it ideal? Maybe not. It's definitely better to do it than not.

Trust me at 218 pounds you would not be out of place at a gym. There will be plenty of people bigger and smaller but you would be right in the middle.
Don't let your ideas of your body deter you. I'm right at about 212 now and except when I ran into the high school musical cheerleader crowd one day usually feel small at the gym.

Do what is right for you.
msroboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

I have to agree with everyone else. You just gotta do it when ya gotta do it!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #10  
Wandering in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
What are your thoughts/experiences on the whole time of day exercise thing? Does it really matter?? I cut off eating at 8 pm at the latest (sometimes I just don't eat after dinner at all) for the same reason (metabolism).
Calories in are calories in, and calories out are calories out. I can't see how it makes much difference, and certainly not enough to stress you out. I think you need to exercize when it's most convenient for *you* and you can accomplish it with the least resistance.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Sign my name to all the other responses. I exercise at night - always have and don't see that changing any time soon. I'm NOT a morning person and simply cannot get myself going that early.

It hasn't seemed to harm my weight loss to work out at night. I think that whole "you have to work out in the morning" thing has about as much validity as the whole "don't eat after 8 p.m." thing. Or any other diet myth that gets started. Someone figured out what worked for them and it became some kind of gospel rule ... but really it's all about what works best for each person.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote