PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 06:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/327/250

Height: 5'5

Default The Insulin Resistance Diet!!!

Hi all,

I've recently become familiar with the condition of Insulin resistance and would like to share with you what I found.

First off about me; I've been fat all of my life, diagnosed with PCOS at 18. Had surgery at 27 to remove a 6lb cyst from my left ovary(yes that was 6 pounds, big as a baby). Unfortunatly the ovary had to go too, too much damage. Turns out I had Endometriosis and not PCOS. So I haven't given PCOS much thought for many years. I came across the insulin resistance condition here on your boards and deceided to do some research.

I'm sure as you all know PCOS is a symptom of Insulin Resistance, as is hair loss, weight gain, acne, skin tags, Icanthanosis Nigracans(a skin disorder where the skin darkens in the underarms, groin and on the back of the neck), etc... I've never been able to lose weight and keep it off. I've been telling doctors for years "I know there is something wrong with me" but thyroid always checked out and there really did seem to be no reason for me to be fat.

Now I think I have found my answer, INSULIN RESISTANCE. It fits perfectly. I've discussed with my doctor what we can do about it and he was honest in telling me he really didnt know that much about it. Its not a highly talked about condition in the general medicine field. But he is listening to what I find and we are working on this together. I went to and Endocrinologist last week to have some blood work done(a 3 hour glucose tolerance test). She was a bit more informed on the subject but has never given a non-diabetic patient metformin. We are going to try it though. I really want to see what effect it will have on my body.

While waiting to start the therapy though I found a book on Amazon called the Insulin Resistance diet. I picked it up at the book store and read it Immediately. It was developed by 2 women who run a wellness clinic in Washington state and have had much success with their IR patients. Here is the basics:

Eating any kind of Carbohydrate is fine as long as you accompany it with enough protein to lower the insulin response of the body. They recomend eating no more than 30G of carbs per meal. For every 15 G of carbs you eat make sure you get 7 G of protein to accompany it. So, if you eat a meal with 30g of carbs you need at least 14g of protein with it. Protein is unlimited though.

They also discuss a 2 hour window of opportunity. What this means is, it takes up to 2 hours after a meal for your body to deceided what is is going to do with what you ate. Will it turn to fat or energy? Eating another carb food with in that 2 hour period is and overload of carbs for the system so it goes right to fat. Therefore, carb meals must be taken at least 2 hours apart.

I've been trying the diet for over a week now and do feel a difference. I dont feel sick after eating like I normally do. My clothes feel looser too so I'm sure I've lost weight. I dont know about actual loss though because I got mad at my scale a few weeks ago and threw it in the garbage. So i have to wait and see when I go back to the doc how much i'm down. This program is less severe than atkins and sugar busters and it makes it much easier to go out to eat with my sweetie or to peoples homes for dinner. I can splurge sometimes too and know that I havent done too much damage.

I hope you will find this info helpful.

Sarah
Old 03-28-2002, 10:49 AM   #2  

Default Insulin Resistance

Hi,

I just bought the Insulin Resistance book. Guess I need to sit down and study the sample menus and link/balance info more. I'm having a little trouble understanding the concept, but I think it's because of all these years of having different diet plans ingrained in my skull only to find out they were all wrong for me.

Any tips on the types of things to eat on a daily basis with this diet?

I had just about figured out the Suzanne Somers way of eating was the way to go when I discovered the Insulin Res diet book. Now I'm thinking the SS way does not have too many similarities but I may be wrong. Again, it's all become one big, fuzzy, cloudy diet in my mind.

Jill in MO
Old 04-25-2002, 03:25 PM   #3  
it's always something

That's fascinating information about the diet, thanks for sharing it! I'm also very interested in ways of controlling insulin resistance. I'm trying alpha lipoic acid, this was recommended by Jennifer's doctor. Diet wouldn't hurt either
Old 05-20-2002, 05:14 PM   #4  

I just read this book as well! I found it really helpful and realistic. I feel that I can incorporate this in to my life, if not 100% of the time, most of the time.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17, but I've only recently become really curious about it, and about what I can do about it. This book was one of the more helpful diet guidelines I've read... and the only diet book I could find that mentioned PCOS!

So add my 2 thumbs up to the reviews of this book.
Old 06-19-2002, 12:37 PM   #5  

While have been restricting my carb in-take on and off for awhile, I am running out to the store this week to buy this book. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2002, 03:34 PM   #6  
it's always something

I'd forgotten all about this! I think I also will buy the book, Jennffer. I've never been tested for PCOS and don't even know if I can have it, because I don't have ovaries! But, the symptoms of PCOS started for me before I had my hysterctomy. Both of my sisters have been diagnosed with PCOS. Surely I am at least Insulin Resistant. I would really like to follow some of the advice for insulin resistance and see if I notice an improvement.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:34 PM   #7  

Wink Hi Iam new Here!

I just wanted to say that I have that book also and it is great! I lost 8 lbs with it. It took about 3 weeks to lose that much,but at least I am losing. I would love to do WW,but I just can't seem to lose. Is there anybody out there who is combining both the resistance diet and WW together?

Happy to be here,
Old 06-20-2002, 10:59 AM   #8  

Hi Suzanne! I have heard that women with PCOS will still have PCOS after a hysterectomy. Because it's an endocrine disorder, even having ovaries removed will not "be a cure". You will still have the syndrome. And studies have shown that genetics play a huge role in it too.
Hopefully I can find the book this weekend. It should be interesting. I have done alot of research over the internet on insulin resistance, the way to eat, exercise, ect. But I would love to get my hands on a book! Let me know what you think of it.

Hi Alliance..Congrats on the weightloss! That is wonderful. Hey, 8 lbs is 8 lbs. Know how many sticks of butter that is? lol Weight Watchers didn't work for me either, the million times I tried it. I would lose and then gain. It was a constant battle. But it wasn't the plan so much, it was my choices. There are quite a few people here at 3FC that use the WW Points program and cut down on their carb intake. They seem to be doing really well. WW is an awseome plan for those who need more control over their portions. Again, congrats on the 8 lbs!
Old 07-26-2002, 11:18 AM   #9  
banned

alliance,

congrats on the loss! just wanted to say that tho i never heard of the IR book, i read the basics on someones post&thats pretty much what i do&i am also a ww member. the way to combine is this: spending daily points on proteins&fats(veggies are free) rather than starch. hth.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:02 PM   #10  
banned

anyone use a starch blocker?
Old 07-27-2002, 10:42 AM   #11  
Each Bite of Sugar...

New here. I've been lurking on the Diet Plans board, but it has slowed down, so I came looking here.

I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and received tons of nutritional insight into this whole Insulin Resistance thing. This book sounds like how they told me to eat while I was pregnant. I didn't gain a pound the last half of my pregnancy eating this way!!

I'm going to the bookstore today to buy this book. Thanks for posted this!
Old 07-27-2002, 11:34 AM   #12  
banned

welcome mama! im new too&i too came for the same reason. i was over on the low fat is the way thread, but it seems dead.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:47 PM   #13  
WW Moderator

Default Carb Blocker

I have not tried a carb blocker. I don't know much about them. I tried to do some research on it. The only positive info I found was from the companies selling it. I found very little info otherwise, but what I did find didn't sound too optimistic.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:00 AM   #14  
banned

hey jennifer,

it depends on the i you look at. the 1 of use is from life plus&is pure b/c its a protein supplement. holler if ya want info
Old 07-29-2002, 11:02 AM   #15  
banned

no sweat lisa
Closed Thread