Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default My awesome Whole Foods trip

Of course, I am going to have to call it awesome because I spent a lot of money. Seriously though, I rarely go to Whole Foods but I usually go for Soy Milk because it is the cheapest place I can find it. I usually spend only $20 or so there but today was different.

I'm especially excited about a few things I found

- Unsweetened rice milk - I have never seen this before but the WF label decided to make their own. I majorly stocked up on this. I am so excited because I try to limit my soy but I only drink unsweetened nondairy milks and they usually only come in soy and almond. Since it is the WF brand, it is also cheap!

- Whole foods brand 100% Whole Wheat bread - I think this is my new favorite bread! Its cheaper than most other brands and has only a few, quality ingredients. It also has one of the lowest calories per slice for a nice dense bread.

- Raw organic almond butter - Now this is a splurge item but my goal is to eat raw nut butters and they are hard to find, this was on sale though but still more expensive than regular almond butter.

- Liquid stevia - again a splurge item but WF brand had the cheapest price per ounce and I decided to go with it.

- Organic plums for .99/lb. I don't often buy produce at WF unless its on sale and these were a nice price!

- Better than bouillon vegetarian chicken and veggie bouillon - This is one of the best bouillons I've ever had and they had it on sale for under $5/jar which is cheap for this item.

- Ethnic gourmet frozen entrees (2/$7 with $1 off coupon) - I normally don't buy frozen dinners but I will be leaving for a few days and these will probably be a good meal for him.

- Sunshine burgers - I love these vegan burger patties. They don't try to taste like meat and they are delicious. I normally don't buy because they are expensive but they were on sale.

- Veggie brown rice sushi rolls - Although my local asian market has veggie sushi rolls for half the price, I like the brown rice ones at WF and it meant I didn't have to make an extra stop on the way home.

- Vegan Beef and broccoli and general tso's chicken from the deli - I've never tried any of their deli selections but the beef and broccoli was on sale so I said why not. They actually both taste pretty good.

- Non food related items - laundry detergent on sale and WF brand of lavender shampoo, conditioner, body wash and body lotion. The WF bath and body products are pretty cheap and decent ingredients.

Anyone else bought anything they are especially excited about lately? I will definitely report back on the rice milk as it sadly makes me very happy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #2  
99 lbs. Gone!

Whoa, nelie! Sorry, I couldn't resist! I usually only buy a few things at WFs -- Odwalla bars and SLS-free shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. And on occasion, I splurge on their Thai chicken satays (deli section).

How many calories are in a slice of that WF whole wheat bread?
ToutDeSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #3  
Just Me

Tout - 70 calories per slice (others vary between 60-120).

There was one item I forgot to mention

- Pureed organic apple/berry mixture fruit sauce cups. They had plain applesauce but I liked the idea of the mixtures and they were $3 for 6. Not cheap but good addition to the lunch box.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #4  
99 lbs. Gone!

Have you tried the Ezekiel 4:9 bread? I love the sesame one!
ToutDeSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

I just went there today myself and got 2 squeezy tubes of their house brand tomato paste for 99¢ each (use it for making pizza, less wasteful than opening a jar of pasta sauce and then it sits unused and goes off)
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #6  
Just Me

I do like the ezekiel bread but it is fairly expensive ($4-$5). The WF one was a little over $2.

Another, I like the squeezy tubes too! I forgot I also bought some ketchup, which does have sugar in it but I rarely use ketchup so its ok. The WF brand was half the price of the Annie's brand.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

What is liquid stevia? I would love to be able to afford to shop there but the closest one to me is about an hour away due to traffic and with gas it's just not worth it.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #8  
Just Me

Stevia is a sweetener based on the stevia leaf, liquid stevia is just it in its liquid form. A couple small drops add quite a bit of sweetness. You can order it online as well but the WF brand is pretty inexpensive.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #9  
LLV

I can't go to Whole Foods unless I've got a good amount of money to spend because I go nuts in that place.

I love it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #10  

Last time I went to WF, I left with three bags. And spent $140. And unfortunately, my husband was with me, and I didn't hear the end of it for days.

He just doesn't get that the stuff I stock up on there lasts me weeks. We spend almost $200 a week at the local grocery on stuff that may last them a week, and four weeks later, I'm still using stuff from my WF trip.
Modjeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Yikes, Modjeska, your cat needs to hang out with 3FC!

My husband is a stinker about the health food store. We don't have a Whole Foods with in hundreds of miles, but there is a nice Lassens health food store in Bakersfield where we go once in a while. I told DH to go to Mervyns or someplace in the shopping strip if he couldn't be nice in Lassens.LOL He is right, it is really expensive, but sometimes I need stuff....

I make my own 100% whole wheat in my bread maker. The recipe I use calls for glutin flour, lecithin and vitamin C crystals, so maybe that makes it not a "whole food", but it is good. I bought my additives at Lassens.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #12  
"Hotness in Training"

S/C/G: 187/178/140

Height: 5'5"

Ahhhhh, yes. Whole Paycheck, we call it! I am so spoiled being from Northern Cali that I always had a lot of choices as far as natural foods stores go. Now that we just moved to NC Whole <paycheck> Foods has been really my only option other than Trader Joes for natural yummies. I am finding myself there a lot lately! I really appreciate the natural generic brands. As a side note I have found that things I really love and use a lot I can request at my local grocery (harriss Teeter) and they are quite accomidating. This months new item- Tahini! Score!
EarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
Yikes, Modjeska, your cat needs to hang out with 3FC!
He's not mine. He's just a friend and former coworker. He lives at the sanctuary I managed until a couple of weeks ago. (I still do volunteer work there, but have a different paid gig now.) And yes, he needs a user account here. He's a boredom eater with some chronic health issues. I hope he's adopted soon by someone who can help him strip some weight off, but until then, I really do love poking that tummy.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #14  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modjeska View Post
Last time I went to WF, I left with three bags. And spent $140. And unfortunately, my husband was with me, and I didn't hear the end of it for days.

He just doesn't get that the stuff I stock up on there lasts me weeks. We spend almost $200 a week at the local grocery on stuff that may last them a week, and four weeks later, I'm still using stuff from my WF trip.
This was the first time I've spent over $100 there although I've come close before (the $50 vegetarian multivitamins don't help). Usually I leave there with 3-4 bags and it costs me no more than $30-$40.

I do have to say I LOVE the rice milk. It is awesome stuff and a nice alternative to the other nondairy milks in my rotation.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
This was the first time I've spent over $100 there although I've come close before (the $50 vegetarian multivitamins don't help). Usually I leave there with 3-4 bags and it costs me no more than $30-$40.

I do have to say I LOVE the rice milk. It is awesome stuff and a nice alternative to the other nondairy milks in my rotation.
I want to try unsweetened rice milk. I'm not a huge fan of soymilk straight up, but I drink it because there aren't a lot of unsweetened options.

It's so expensive when I go because I stock up on more processed stuff... Tofurky deli slices and sausages, Vegenaise, FYH cheeses...plus speciality stuff like agave nectar, chickpea flour, vital wheat gluten, agar agar, and that stuff is small and adds up fast. Throw in some vitamins and toiletries, and it's not hard to walk out broke.