Old 09-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #1  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

Default 5 pounds in 24 hours??

Ok...so I went off plan for about 24 hours and this morning I stepped on the scale and gained 5 pounds? Is this possible?? I cheated for a whole week on vacation and only gained 3 and once I intook all my water, that went away. I am confused! Could it be 5 pounds of water or is chinese food THAT bad for you?? Obviously, I am back on plan today and won't be getting off track for quite some time but I am really surprised by this!
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #2  
Gone, baby, gone

S/C/G: 274/212.6/134

Height: 5'1"

Don't worry! It's highly doubtful that you gained 5 pounds of fat in 24 hours. I haven't met anyone who can even eat that much food! That would have to be 17,500 calories on top of what your body needs to run itself.

There are a couple of reasons why the scale may be a bit higher. The first (and probable reason) is that you're retaining water. Chinese food is extremely salty, so be sure to drink lots of water to flush the sodium out of your body. I also find that if I eat fried or oily food, I get bloated. Also, depending on when you weighed after eating, you could be weighing the food and liquid that's in your stomach/digestive track. A little gross, I know, but if you think about it, a half gallon of water (or, the 64 ounces minimum we're supposed to drink) is 4 pounds.

I know for me, it usually takes about 3-4 days to see a gain if I have one, so I would just get back on track from here, drink a lot of water, and maybe exercise a little more! And don't worry, Chinese food doesn't have to be bad - I ate Chinese food twice last week, and am still doing ok with my WL. I just make sure I get something like a cup of wonton soup and then stick to chicken and veggies or chicken and broccoli. It fills me up way better than a plate of rice/appetizers/etc
staja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #3  
No description available.

Absolutely. Actually if I eat at a restaurant, I can practically guarantee a 3-6 pound scale spike the next morning----even when I make saintly choices. The sodium! But it is not fat. Drink plenty, get right back on your plan, and you will be fine.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #4  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

One nice thing to keep in mind - pounds quickly gained are also quickly lost.
twilit tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Chinese food causes mega water retention. Just know that when you eat that food, the scale will show bloat for a couple days. So, you might have only gained 1/2 a pound of real weight, but the scale doesn't know the difference between water and tissue.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #6  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Oh yeah, EASY! That's one reason I HATE eating out now! Basically I am reconciled to the fact that if I eat out I will not lose anything that week. Mexican is my thing, and it's also pretty high in sodium if you're not careful. It's so hard to see that jump overnight! Like tera said though, it *should* be gone in a few days! I'm impressed that you're this far along on your journey and this is only the 2nd time your shocked like this! WTG!

Last edited by Nori71; 09-07-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #7  
FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilit tera View Post
One nice thing to keep in mind - pounds quickly gained are also quickly lost.
True that!

That gain happens almost every single time I dine out even when making good decisions. Just stay on track, it will be gone in no time.

BTW- You're doing FABULOUS! Not much longer to go Wendy! Rah rah rah!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Chinese food is a guaranteed killer! One thing sometimes helps a little...ask them to make it without msg. (That is monoSODIUMglutamate!)
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Chinese food is EXTREMELY sodium laden. I can gain 3-5 lbs from a meal at a Chinese restaurant even if I stick within my calorie level and eat on plan.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I can't eat chinese food or pasta (even the healthest kind) I always see a gain. Even if it's a small single serving. I don't know why but my body doesn't take kindly to it. I LOVE both with a purple passion. So this is/was a hard thing for me to give up.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote