Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thumbs down The "New" Atkins Complete With Bread & Pasta!

All I can say is, God rest the soul of Dr. Robert Atkins because I think if he were alive to see what "Atkins Nutritionals" is doing...I'm sure he just wouldn't believe it!!

If you read the article & you are properly educated concerning Atkins...meaning you've read Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution (1972) & Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and you understand how & why this plan works...you'll quickly realize there is plenty of conflicting information here.

While many believe (and the article states) people following the Atkins plan "can eat as much red meat & cheese as they wanted"...this is untrue. To clear up any confusion, Dr. Atkins advised eating meats "liberally"...which means generous, it does not mean as much as you want. Cheese is limited to 3-4 ozs. of certain varieties of cheese.

This "new" plan is advising seeds & berries from the start. On the current Atkins plan, seeds & berries would not be added until phase 2 known as OWL (On Going Weight Loss) at which time they are added in 5 carb increments following the carb ladder...which is not even mentioned in this "new" plan. Seeds are added on the 2nd rung of the ladder and berries are added on the 3rd rung following the current plan.

The "new" plan states it is a 12 week program divided into 4 stages In the current plan, Dr. Atkins clearly stated Induction (phase 1) could be safely done for 6 or more months if you had a lot of weight to lose. Foods like oatmeal, brown rice, wholegrain pasta & wholemeal bread are added at the last rung of the carb ladder in Pre-Maintenance (phase 3) on the current plan. On the "new" plan, these foods are added during OWL (phase 2).

Per the article, the "new" plan "includes an exercise recommendation for the 1st time". Dr. Atkins clearly stated in his books that if you are following Atkins "exercise is NON-NEGOTIABLE" He has said this for years...this certainly is not the 1st time!

Lastly, but certainly not least...God bless us all WHITE BREAD sandwiches & desserts on Life Maintenance!!! Talk about blasphemy!!! Honestly, I shouldn't really be completely surprised at any of this...isn't it Atkins Nutritionals Inc. that has been telling people Atkins bars are "appropriate for Induction"???

If you want accurate information regarding the Atkins lifestyle, I'd strongly recommend this site: http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/lifestyle.htm Dr. Atkins wife Veronica is continuing her late husband's legacy of properly educating people about the Atkins lifestyle her husband established many years ago

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ead-pasta.html

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 09-03-2008 at 12:33 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Wholey smokes... to bad the wife couldn't take them to court or something.... thats sad they have to destroy a good thing. I thought it was bad when they said sugar alcohols were not considered "carbs" but now this.

Thanks Kim !!

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

WHITE BREAD?!?!
I didn't think that was on anybody's list!
I'm not following Atkins but I think it's very sad that the corporate animal can be allowed to distort someone's basic tenet that way. I would imagine it's all in the name of sales? Does the "new" version say why they changed this very core principle?
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I'm not an Atkin's follower... but even I'm shocked.

This seems wrong on all sorts of levels...

Last edited by Lovely; 09-03-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/see tracker/170

Height: 5'11"

Wow! My mouth was open the whole time I read through that horrible article! It almost makes me sick! Blah! Someone should really take them to court or something....its just wrong on all levels and it shouldn't be tolerated! =(
kireos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 216/215/147

Height: 5'7"

It's quite south beach like until you get to the white bread like a previous poster said I thought that was smoething we should all be avoiding?
creamsoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:59 AM   #7  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Nobody should eat white bread. What the crap??!!

I wish the foundation could sue because it is so confusing to dieters to try to figure out between the two. Most people won't go to huge lengths to research the different types before diving in.

It might be fair to say that Dr. Atkins MAY have changed some things had he lived longer, because research and studies have changed a lot since 2002, but he'd never tell people to gulp down sugar and white bread.

What I want to know, is what version of the "Atkins" diet they were feeding the people in the latest new England Journal of Medicine study, where it showed Atkins was the best for weight loss and lipid reduction? The Atkins Nutritionals site says "Backed by the New England Journal of Medicine". Couldn't they get sued for being a completely different diet and claiming that?

Why did Dr. Atkins sell out to them?

SIGH!
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Did anyone take the time to have a look at the sample menu in the middle of that article??? Its stating HASHBROWNS ON
INDUCTION and OATMEAL, BUCKWHEAT CEREAL, SHREDDED WHEAT, PUFFED RICE AND SOURDOUGH RYE TOAST ON OWL!!!
I find this quite disturbing. I'm sorry folks but...this is simply NOT Atkins!!

As for Atkins Nutritionals Inc. stating they are "backed by the New England Journal of Medicine"...it looks impressive but, seriously, that study IMHO was not based on the true Atkins plan. If you read the article : http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/.../229?query=TOC
It states, "The intakes of total calories, protein, and fat were not limited. However, the participants were counseled to choose vegetarian sources of fat and protein and to avoid trans fat. The diet was based on the Atkins diet" "Based on" tells me they did not follow the true Atkins plan so, as impressive as Atkins Nutritionals makes it look & sound...closer reading tells a different story.

I'm planning to email Atkins Nutritionals concerning this "all-new atkins advantage diet"....If a response is received, I'm sure it will be just more of their "lets cover our butts" jargon...but, I'll keep ya posted!
Old 09-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #9  
Larry's Angel

The more research I do on this "all-new atkins advantage diet"...the more eye-opening its becoming. I posted a thread over on the message boards at atkins.com and of course, as expected...I received the typical, expected comments defending this.

I just find it a shame that anyone new to Atkins and as Kierr stated, not going to huge lengths doing research, will ultimately just dive into this new plan expecting to lose lots of weight. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying weight loss is impossible on this plan...but...my biggest objection to the whole thing is that they use the name "Atkins" when this is obviously any but! As my boss tells me daily, "business is business"...and Atkins Nutritionals Inc. is in business to make lots of $$$. Its very disappointing & discouraging but...I can tell you, I won't be referring anyone to the Atkins website but, rather to the Veronica Atkins Foundation website where the information is accurate & unchanged!!

http://www.amazon.com/All-New-Atkins.../dp/0312331290

Old 09-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

I'm kind of wondering if Mrs. Atkins can take Atkins Nutritionals to court to get them to cease using her husband's name due to the fact that this 'diet' is not anywhere near the diet Dr. Atkins would have wanted his patients on.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #11  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Wow! Im speechless! I do agree tho, I wonder if Mrs. Atkins can do something about this in the courts.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #12  

Hi Robin! Nice to 'see' you! How are you doing? How is your DD? Hubby? And is your business surviving this sucky ecomony?

I agree that it is a horrible thing that they have done to what the dear Dr. worked so hard to build up!

Kel
Ms Spotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/115

Height: 5'3''

Kim,
I recently started Atkins for the second time..I lost around 60 pounds a few years back. And,now I'm trying again!
I just wanted to tell you that you are very inspiring and I really enjoy reading all of your posts! This is a great place to find support..Thank you!
Cardfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

The first thing I thought of when I heard Paul Newman died yesterday was Oh My!! their gonna destroy his hard work (with his food line / charities) like they did with Dr. Atkins
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #15  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

I wanted to Bump this in case anyone is really confused!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote