Old 09-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Default Hangin' In Until Weight Loss Kicks In

When you are my size, it takes quite awhile to see any difference at all. I'm guessing for me that it's going to take at least twenty pounds, probably even thirty, before there's any difference in the way I look.

I tend to throw in the towel if it takes too long to see any progress.

What keeps you hangin' in until weight loss kicks in?
And what were some of the very first changes you noticed in yourself, whether anyone else could see them or not?
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I hung in there because I didn't allow myself to think of giving up as an option. I decided that no matter how long it took I was doing this. My health is at stake this time and it was a do or die situation. I focused on the improving stamina from doing the treadmill 5 days a week. It took quite a while for others to notice, but that was ok with me. I'm always a little embarrassed about people noticing my size in any way so it was my own personal war for quite awhile. Small goals are very helpful as well. Take it ten pounds at a time, don't worry about the long term goal. It will come eventually if you keep reaching the short term goals. There are so many rewards along the way and enjoy those. Be patient, it's not a quick fix.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #3  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

You may be motivated by seeing inches come off. Be sure to measure as well as weigh! It was at about 30 pounds before the first person noticed who didn't know I'd changed my eating. That reflected four holes in my belt - about 4 inches.

Also the Paper Towel Theory helps explain why it seems to take so long before you see a change. Rest assured the difference is there. Often when you can't see it yet on the outside, health on the inside is dramatically improving (cholesterol levels, triglycerides, blood sugar, etc.)

Last edited by WebRover; 09-01-2008 at 03:59 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #4  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

If I gain 1 pound back then I have to loose 2 to get the scale moving down again. Pounds lost are hard to come by and alot of work. I don't want to work that hard to keep loosing the same pounds. I will never loos 100 lbs. if I don't loose 1.

It is an amazing feeling when people start to notice. Each pound that you loose gets you closer to that happening!

Hang in there!

Last edited by djay; 09-01-2008 at 04:24 PM.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebRover View Post
You may be motivated by seeing inches come off. Be sure to measure as well as weigh! It was at about 30 pounds before the first person noticed who didn't know I'd changed my eating. That reflected four holes in my belt - about 4 inches.

Also the Paper Towel Theory helps explain why it seems to take so long before you see a change. Rest assured the difference is there. Often when you can't see it yet on the outside, health on the inside is dramatically improving (cholesterol levels, triglycerides, blood sugar, etc.)
I love the Paper Towel Theory, and need to remind myself of it often. Thanks for posting it.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/175/150

Height: 5'5

As everyone else said - hang in there! I read that paper towel analogy and wow! It really helped me see things in a new way. It will take you a while until you hear people noticing your loss and it iS hard. I went from 256 to 225 before I heard anything. Heck, even now people only say "Wow you're so tan!" because I am, but I'm also 61 pounds lighter!! I think the bigger we are the more invisible we are and you just have to do this for YOU - not them. Even though the compliments are motivating, so is a mini goal. Pick one and work towards it and celebrate when you reach it!!
skinnyinsideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #7  
FB

It took a long while before any physical changes were apparent. By this time I sort of miss the past when no one commented on my appearance. Sometimes all of the attention can get... uncomfortable. I mean, I love being a superstar but it can really get crazy at friend or family gatherings.

Terrible confession - I didn't go to my husband's company picnic today because I just did not have the energy to deal with the comments. Isn't that awful? Luckily he didn't mind in the least and I got some much needed rest.

The first changes I noticed were my energy, definitely. I had a ton more energy just eating cleaner and attempting to exercise. The energy effected my moods for the better and so on. It was a great domino effect.

The first physical changes I noted were the way my clothes fit. Very early on one of my greatest changes I noticed were that my back fat rolls didn't hurt. That was awesome.

Last edited by FB; 09-01-2008 at 09:37 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Some of it is still perspective. Many times I still see myself as my 360 lb me. It is hard to register in your brain often.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I didn't notice any difference in my appearance for 25-30 pounds when I went down my first pants size. For the first 10 pounds or so, it was like my little secret. I knew I was losing, but no one could really see it.
I also just felt better. The first thing I noticed was no more heartburn. I was popping Tums like candy before. It's funny, I cannot even remotely remember the last time I had heart burn. Seriously. I think it might have been last Christmas eve for our big dinner, where I chose to eat a lot of off plan foods.

Compliments on my weigh loss embarrass me. I like them, yet hate them. Isn't that funny? I do love compliments on my athleticism, though LOL! I love it when I can kick DH's butt on riding, or improving my jog time or lifting heavier. My mom commented on my biceps, of all things - and I was happy to flex for her .

It certainly is a long journey. It has taken me years, much slower than many people here, but I'm okay with that. The journey itself is worth a lot, don't ever overlook that. What you learn while you lose is what is going to keep the weight off after.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #10  
committed

S/C/G: 299/147/120

I've lost 25 lbs. and I don't see a difference at all. But I can really tell a difference in the way my clothes fit.

Only one person has asked me if I've lost weight -- she said she could see it in my face. I wasn't exactly tickled. This comment came from a person who once remarked in a seminar setting, "We tend to associate with people of our own attractiveness level."

Anyway, I'm in this for the long haul. My next goal is always the next pound. I'm not looking beyond that.
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I'm kind of in the same position as you. At my weight I have to stay pretty much exactly on plan if I want to see any weightloss because I'm already at a normal weight and so close to my GW.

All I can tell you is to focus more on how your body is feeling. How good it feels to be nourishing and taking care of your body, and remember that the weight loss is a bonus to the feeling of good health.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Hmmm, great thread! I am wondering, how do you all deal with no losses, both in weight and measurements? I haven't really figured out how to deal with that just yet - its definitely the source of all my frustrations!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:31 AM   #13  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I first started noticing my weight loss by how my clothes fit. My uniform pants were tight, and I used to have to suck my stomach in and hold my breath to get them buttoned up. They were size 50! I didn't weigh myself at first, but just took note of how much looser my clothes were gradually getting.

I'd say I had about 50 pounds gone before people started complimenting me. I live in a small town where everybody knows everybody else, and a typical day at work can bring about a dozen people complimenting me. Usually I like it, but it can be uncomfortable at times too. Especially if I happen to be standing near a co-worker who started a weight-loss journey the same time I did, is about the same size I was, but made very little progress. I find it uncomfortable because she looks uncomfortable, like this other person is (inadvertently) rubbing my weight loss into her face.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #14  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGirl View Post
Hmmm, great thread! I am wondering, how do you all deal with no losses, both in weight and measurements? I haven't really figured out how to deal with that just yet - its definitely the source of all my frustrations!

-Aimee
I used to get all caught up in the scale and its numbers. And sometimes I still find myself weighing a couple times a day "to see how I'm doing", even though I KNOW that's self-defeating!

I try not to put my food into mydailyplate until the evening, so I'm not actually counting calories... or I'll start "figuring" how much I ate and how much I have left (or went over)... and that's not my plan anymore.

That sort of obsession to the numbers is what would get me SO discouraged and give up whenever I went "over" or I stopped "losing" (at the rate that I had arbitrarily given myself, which was inevitably too fast and thus destined to frustrate me).

Anyway, I'm really trying to focus more on "the next meal" and the clean food I'm going to eat and the healthy choices I'm going to make. Solid protein, whole grains, veg and fruit, no sugars or refined flours... And I try really hard not to think about calories or pounds or stuff like that. THe only number I really pay close attention to is protein grams, and that only at the end of the day when I record my food.

By focusing on the choices, and not the results, I find that it's a much more interactive way of eating and living. I mean, when I was focusing on calories and pounds lost, I felt "reactive"... like I'd put in my coins and pulled the handle and was waiting to see what the slot machine was going to "give" me. When I focus on the next meal and the next healthy choice, I'm not waiting for something to happen... I'm DOING it. I'm making the choice. I'm eating clean. I'm using that elliptical. I'm planning the meals. The choices will lead to the results, but I'm not focusing on the results... I'm focusing on the choices.

I feel like I'm having a hard time explaining this. *sighs* Sorry if I confused anyone.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #15  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGirl View Post

-Aimee

Well - think back to one year ago today. Can you remember what you weighed, without looking at your journal? Was it up or down? Can you remember if you were on plan that week or not? I imagine you would be hard pressed to know.

So, view any week knowing that time passes, and it won't matter so much what that particular week was in terms of weight loss. We place such a big emphasis on the weigh in day that we lose site of the big picture.

I don't let blips in the scale get to me anymore. I understand there will be ups and downs. Sometimes more ups for a little while, but that doesn't mean I will stop trying.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote