Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Question [B][/B]Which Protein????

I already posted it somewhere else and they told me to repost here so maybe I could get more responses:
I am doing really good with my exercising. I am going at the gym at least 6 days/week for almost 2h each time. I’ve seen some muscle growing but I still thinking it is taking me too long to get them the way I want them to be. I think I am not eating the necessary amount of protein, so I decided to get some supplements. So I went at the store last night and got lost looking for it. Maybe a shake would be the best kind for me. But which one? when to take it? before or after working out, or even at some other time???
Are they healthy? I need help with it and don’t have anyone to ask. It would be great if you guys could give me some ideas...
Thanks!!!

Last edited by belezura; 08-06-2008 at 02:11 PM.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #2  

sorry... I posted it twice by mistake. How do I delete this one??
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #3  
=D

Hey there,
Whey protein Isolate is the most easily absorbed by the body, and if you get it with no additives, it's the cleanest form too.
Soy protein is also good.
Try to buy just the protein - eg whey protein powder (derived from dairy btw), and add milk, berries etc for a good smoothie.

Protein is best taken straight after strength training, for optimum effect and recovery.

=D
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185.0/185/140lbs

Height: 5;4

I have been using, once a day, unjury. You can only get it online. But it's mostly used by those that have had the weight surgeries. High in protein, higer then the whey. Low carb. It's a good boost during the day. The chocolate is the best. Just an fyi.
Kelly46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Oh boy. I see a whole lot of things in your post.

Let's start with the big one: You say you're not getting the results you think you should be or you want - that you think it's taking too long.

You don't say how long you've been doing this, but you have to keep in mind that as women we don't build muscle as fast as men do. We don't have the level of testosterone to do so. So depending on what results you expect to see, you might be expecting too much, too fast.

Also, the higher your bodyfat percentage, the less your muscles will show through. Looking at your weight ticker, it seems you're pretty close to goal, but those last few pounds of fat will hide some of your muscle development. That's another one of those lucky things that we, as women, have to deal with!

Ok, so next is the protein - if you're looking to build muscle, you should be aiming for around 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. That is an average - not a rule, so don't freak if you're not there or you can't get there. I weigh 161 and average about 120 g of protein a day, for example.

Protein shakes and protein powders are pretty common ways to get the extra protein when you're trying to consume more. I personally buy powder (I get EAS Vanilla flavored Whey powder). I mix it with water, juice, milk, oatmeal, yogurt, whatever is handy.

Ideally you would consume a good bit of protein within a 1/2 hour to an hour after you lift weights. But consuming it over the course of the day is also good. You don't want to dump 1/2 your daily protein into your body at once.

Ok, the other thing I wanted to mention is that you said you're working out 6 days a week for up to 2 hours a day. Is that all weight lifting? And are you rotating the parts of your body you're working on? Because if you're doing 2 hours of weight lifting every single day and not giving your body recovery time, you might actually be slowing your progress.

See, the thing that builds muscle is the HEALING of the damage you do when you work out, not the workout itself. And if you don't allow your muscles the recovery time to heal, then you're building damage upon damage and not building muscle strength. You need to have a day of rest between exercising each muscle group. That doesn't mean you can't work out every day, but you need to break it up - if you work your arms and shoulders on Monday, then work your legs and back on Tuesday, and so forth.

I hope that helps you some. Feel free to ask any questions if I can help more!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #6  
My new arms!

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 56

I also want to add that you make sure you get enough calories. Do you count them? Not eating the right amount will slow your progress also.
Do you lift heavy with low reps or light with high reps?
Most proteins work the same. I use the kind from walmart and it has worked well for me. I always have one right after working out then about an hour later have a good protein/carb meal. Try mixing them with almond extract, they are really yummy!!

Last edited by rainlips; 09-16-2008 at 08:43 AM.
rainlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #7  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

I found an unflavored whey protein, I mix it with juice and shake it up in a bottle and let it sit in the fridge for a few mins. and it dissolves. Tastes pretty good, smells a little weird, but I could only taste the juice.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #8  
Transforming

S/C/G: 228/184/164

Height: 5' 7"

I use ON's Gold Whey...not only it tastes good it works out well too.
rinku is offline   Reply With Quote