Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #1  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Feel cruddy, day 11

Hi!

It's been awhile since I tried Atkins. I used to be scared off by the thought of heart disease, but in the past I successfully lost 30 pounds doing it. That was about 5 years ago.

Since then I have gained and lost, gained and lost. So frustrating! Well, now the new studies are in and Atkins is not as bad as people thought, it beat out the low fat diets for drops in cholesterol. It is so hard to get in that mode of thinking, it goes against everything we are taught!

Well, this is day 11, I have lost 6 pounds (at least) (for some reason I dropped out of ketosis over the weekend) and I am so tired! I don't remember being this tired last time. I feel weak, lazy, tired, no energy to exercise, short of breath at times.

So, does anyone else get this way, or have you in the past? Any advice that has worked for you?

Thanks!!
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:03 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

back to Atkins!!

I'm not sure why you are experiencing the symptoms you've described You've dropped out of ketosis?? May I ask exactly what you're eating & how much water you're drinking? Also, is TOM near?

As for cholesterol...you might want to read Gary Taubes book Good Calories Bad Calories as well as Dr. Malcolm Kendrick's book The Great Cholesterol Con. In the meantime, here's a good article concering cholesterol & heart disease...http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...rol-heart.aspx

All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #3  

Welcome Kierr!

I know exactly what you mean about the low fat issues. I was so surprised to read the info in Dr.Atkin's New Diet Revolution and decided to just give it a go. I kept track of my food intake on fitday to force me to keep my fats up high enough (65% fats, 25% protien and 8 to 10% carbs). It took thinking and planning to keep the fats up but as long as I kept them up there I was not hungry and I was not weak. I felt just fine with lots of energy to carry me through each day (and I hike in the woods, with rough terrain, for 75 to 90 minutes a day.)

I always think the big mistake we make on Atkins is just in not trusting what we should be doing and keeping those fats up there.

If we keep our carbs low low then the body burns all these fats and we don't have them building in our arteries like we do if we have a high carb diet and the fats are never burnt to we store them.

I know once you give JG your daily intake of food she'll give you great advice on how to made adjustments and move into smooth sailing with Atkins.
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #4  
Vegan

Thanks for the replies.

Well for food, I eat some variety of meat, pork chops, chicken breast, hamburger, usually with cheese. Or I make scrambled eggs with cheese. I throw a small amount of celery,green peppers or red onions in there for flavor, counting the carbs. For snacks I eat cheese, pepperoni, romaine lettuce salad with bacon and cheese. At some point in the day I usually have an Atkins all phases shake and an all phases bar.

I am always so low on the keto stick that it is barely pink, borderline negative. I was drinking sugar free flavored creamer in my decaf but I stopped that, hoping that might have been the problem. I also was having coffees with half and half and sugar free syrups at the coffee house and maybe that was an issue too, even though it takes an ounce to provide 1 carb because it is made with sucralose (splenda).

For water, I hate plain water. I do drink carb free fresca, diet sprite, etc. and decaf coffee. I have always been sensitive to caffeeine so I avoid it, except the small amount in decaf coffee. There have been studies lately that have shown it does not matter where you get your hydration, as long as you get 32-64 oz of some liquid a day, so I am hoping that is not the problem. Does plain water make the difference in getting into ketosis?

Overall, counting the lettuce salad, peppers, onions, celery, bars and shakes, and occasional half and half I get between 10-19 carbs a day, usually the low end.

Have any of you watched your own cholesterol numbers on this diet?

Thanks again girls!

Oh, also, for TOM I am very irregular at this weight. It has been about 2.5 months and could be any time.

Last edited by kierr; 08-29-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kierr View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Well for food, I eat some variety of meat, pork chops, chicken breast, hamburger, usually with cheese. Or I make scrambled eggs with cheese. I throw a small amount of celery,green peppers or red onions in there for flavor, counting the carbs. For snacks I eat cheese, pepperoni, romaine lettuce salad with bacon and cheese. At some point in the day I usually have an Atkins all phases shake and an all phases bar.

Sounds like you eat quite a bit of cheese. Atkins Induction limits cheese to 3-4 ozs a day of certain varieties. It has been known to be a common "staller" for some people. I'd also be careful with the pepperoni, it contains a lot of sodium which can cause you to retain water. As for the Atkins bars...I know they say "appropriate for Induction" but...that isn't true. They contain ingredients you will not see on the acceptable foods list like Soy, Milk & Peanuts. You might want to read this, I'm sure you'll find it quite helpful: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

I am always so low on the keto stick that it is barely pink, borderline negative. I was drinking sugar free flavored creamer in my decaf but I stopped that, hoping that might have been the problem. I also was having coffees with half and half and sugar free syrups at the coffee house and maybe that was an issue too, even though it takes an ounce to provide 1 carb because it is made with sucralose (splenda).

For water, I hate plain water. I do drink carb free fresca, diet sprite, etc. and decaf coffee. I have always been sensitive to caffeeine so I avoid it, except the small amount in decaf coffee. There have been studies lately that have shown it does not matter where you get your hydration, as long as you get 32-64 oz of some liquid a day, so I am hoping that is not the problem. Does plain water make the difference in getting into ketosis?

The diet soft drinks are questionable, particularly if they contain aspartame. JMO, but...I believe plain water is best.

Overall, counting the lettuce salad, peppers, onions, celery, bars and shakes, and occasional half and half I get between 10-19 carbs a day, usually the low end.

You should be getting 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day from veggies & salads on the accpetable foods list. I believe Dr. Atkins recommended 20 carbs a day for a reason, not eating enough will not cause you to lose weight, it will cause your body to go into starvation mode.

Have any of you watched your own cholesterol numbers on this diet?

Low carb dieting has been proven to better reduce cholesterol better than low fat diets. Unfortunately, there are a lot of myths out there concerning cholesterol. On Atkins, if you are doing it correctly, your body burns fat for fuel.

Thanks again girls!

Oh, also, for TOM I am very irregular at this weight. It has been about 2.5 months and could be any time.
Good luck to you!!
You CAN do this!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 08-30-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #6  
Vegan

Thanks for all of that!

As for TOM, I just started spotting today. Does TOM have anything to do with Ketosis? I think you are right about the bars, it seems to knock both me and my husband out of ketosis, but it does keep me 'straight' and I am still losing weight so I might consider it a trade for the short term, until I get more used to things. I was a HUGE sweets eater and ate a ton of baked goos and sweet before this so I think without the bars I might have a very hard time sticking to things right now.

I should note that I eat peas, lettuce, peppers, onions and celery nearly daily as veggies. Unfortunately I really hate Broccoli and Cauliflower so those are not options for me. I do like raw Spinach and I plan on buying some this week for my salads.

Thanks for pointing out the cheese thing. I'll back of of it a bit! So far today I've had about 2 oz. cheese, baked on chicken breast with multi colored peppers, red onions and celery, with a side of peas. I also had 1/2 an Atkins bar as a wake up snack, I know, I know.

Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:35 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

I don't mean to burst your bubble completely but...peas are a no-no. A half cup of peas contains 7 net carbs!!! Peas shouldn't be added until pre-maintenance.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #8  
Vegan

Wow really? On Atkins site, at http://www.atkins.com/Program/FourPh...FoodsList.aspx it is listed as a slightly higher veg on the acceptable list for induction. Maybe this has changed from earlier?

I know there was less food during induction when I have done it before. I can't locate the book at the moment but did dig out Atkins for life and am re-reading that.

So much to absorb, it didn't seem this hard the first time. LOL I don't consider this a lost cause though, because it is just hitting 2 weeks now, I'm starting to feel better (maybe the fatigue was PMS LOL) I have lost at least 6 pounds and my husband is down 11. I'll get it! Thank you for all your help, it is really helping me get this together!

Last edited by kierr; 09-01-2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

While "Atkins For Life" is a wonderful book...it concentrates on the Lifetime Maintenance phase of Atkins. Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution is much more beneficial in explaining exactly how & why this program works.

God bless Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. and their new, improved website. They sure are pushing all their products aren't they? My oh my...I wonder what Dr. Atkins would think of this! I would strongly recommend looking at this site for more accurate information: http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/lifestyle.htm
For now, I'd stay away from the peas until much later. Personally, I never liked cauliflower either (I still don't really) but..."Just Like Twice Baked Potatoes"...is to die for!!! And no, it does not taste like cauliflower!!
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/just_li..._potatoes.html

on your weight loss so far!! Keep up the good work!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #10  
Vegan

Thanks for the link! I was thinking the same thing about the other Atkins site, honestly. I'm going to do at least 1 week of clean induction and see what happens.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #11  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

JerseyGyrl, you'll be happy to know that not only did I buy the "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" book, but I told my best friend that I was doing Atkins and she bought the book, too, and has decided to do it with me.

I've got several recipes that are Induction friendly all ready for tomorrow's meals. I'm going to try the recipe that you posted for the Twice Baked Potatoes to go with my steak tomorrow night. I'm armed and ready with all Induction foods, and my friend said she will be ready by the end of the week- she wants to read the book first and do this right, like I do. Wish us luck. Thanks so much for all of your advice and help.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #12  
I Can Do This!!

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5'7"

Jersey and Kierr, Atkins is talking about PODDED PEAS, like snow peas with the pods on them. The fiber in the shells is so high. I was shocked when I re read the book also.
makingachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

The acceptable foods list for Induction on Veronica Atkins site is the original list Dr. Atkins wrote...it contains no peas...podded or otherwise. The acceptable foods list on the Atkins site has been "re-vamped" by Atkins Nutritonals Inc. This is why I always tell people who are considering doing Atkins to get the 2002 & prior additions of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. Anything after 2003 (Dr. Atkins death) has been configured by the company.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #14  
I Can Do This!!

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5'7"

Jersey, I see now, thanks.
makingachange is offline   Reply With Quote