Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Lift and Chat: September 1 to September 15

I'm going to try to start the thread unless Mel comes along while I'm writing

I've been absent, this past month has been crazy. Work was crazy and I was lucky to get enough sleep on some days let alone exercise. I also had an exercise 'crisis' as I'd like to call it. I questioned whether or not I needed exercise right now to lose weight. It was a stupid question (for me) because the answer is YES. I did horribly when trying to just concentrate on diet alone. Exercise grounds me and I love weights but its cardio I am not too fond of.

Something happened this past month though and now I'm in the process of training for a triathlon. The plan is to do a relay leg of a triathlon. I have never swam laps before but I know how to swim. I've tried to run before but my knees complain. I was deathly afraid of bikes. Now to imagine me training for a triathlon is a crazy notion but...

Tomorrow I start swimming and plan to buy a years pass at a local rec center. I have a couple real swimming swim suits, which I've never had. I also bought some swim training equipment. The last time I went swimming was when I was snorkeling in some rough waters. I know I can swim but I also know I can't lap swim, yet.

Two weeks ago I bought a bike. Now this was very monumental for me. We went into the bike store and the bike we tried felt very comfortable and stable despite the itty bitty thin tires. My first couple practice rides near home were wobbly and full of fears but two feet were off the ground. Saturday, we went for a 11 mile ride and I rode most of the way (except I did walk at a brisk pace near the end off and on because of saddle 'issues'). Yesterday, we bought a bike trainer so I can practice at home some as well. I really need to practice my form and hand placement.

As for running, we'll see. Pavel swears that training kettlebells is better training than running itself and includes examples of such. Of course kettlebells are on the menu for exercise but I may need to break down and run a couple times. I do plan to buy some decent knee braces before I do, at least for my left knee.

Of course all I'm talking about is cardio in a WL forum but that is also on the plate. I will also being do weights and kettlebells as part of my exercise plan.

I bought a book on cycling which was called "Every Women's Guide to Cycling" because of my extreme fear of cycling, I figured it would help and it has. It has given me quite a bit of encouragement and I don't know if I could ever be great or good, but I just want to be the best I can. Anyway, the author of the book, Selene Yeager, has a great blog. http://fitchick.bicycling.com/ She was in the process of training for the Ironman in Louisville which actually happened yesterday. Her goal was to be under 11 hours and 30 minutes and I checked this morning. She was at 11 hours and 8 minutes. How can anyone run/bike/swim for 11 hours is beyond me but I'm impressed with her goals, training and this women I don't know, I'm happy she met her goal.

Ok anyway, that is enough yappity yap for me. I just wanted to share. Although I am not where I wanted to be at this time of year, I am happy to know I have some goals I want to set and I have a variety of exercises to keep me entertained.

Weights rule, strong women rule and I hope September is a good month for all.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #2  
No description available.

Hi Nelie,
I've been following your bike adventures in the cycling thread but haven't had time to comment. I am so proud of you!!! I too overcame a severe bike phobia this summer and I know how hard it is! Yeah, Nelie!!! I think that all of these adventures are so related: weight loss, strength training, trying new things even if they are scary. For me, strength training has given me a lot of confidence to try new things. I know my body can handle a lot, and that is due to weight lifting, so I see a lot of connections between your goal for a triathalon and weight lifting.

Swimming is really my weak point for a triathalon at this time, which amuses me, since biking was something that up until this year, I would have sworn I would NEVER ever EVER get on a bike again. And yet!!! I overcame that fear too.

Maybe we need a triathalon thread?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #3  
Just Me

Midwife - Thanks! I think if swimming is your weak point, I'd highly recommend reading that fitchick blog. It is pretty inspirational and swimming was her weak point as well. I may also take a swimming class to brush up on it but the class I would want to take doesn't start for a couple months. I am glad to hear that I wasn't the only one with a biking phobia as I do feel like such a wuss sometimes when my fear of falling and hurting myself badly takes over. My mantra is 'falling is not the worst thing that can happen'.

I do think things like weights are empowering to women just as much as something as training for a triathlon so I do think they are linked. I do eventually hope to do a full triathlon at some point in time but I am definitely starting from scratch which is why my goal is to do a relay leg in a tri.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

NELIE! I'm so proud of you! A Triathalon! Just to do the training alone and to announce it is courageous. Wherever this plan/path experience takes you I know you will only succeed and get from it all that you are meant to further enrich yourself. Thanks so much for sharing. ~sigh~ I've been inspired by you this morning.

Now, off to ride my own bike. It's been almost two weeks of gym workouts and those lovely little birthdays are all over!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #5  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Nelie, you are so brave! I can't imagine doing 11 miles on a bike...pretty sure I'd keel over after 2. Good luck with the triathlon training!

So, I got on the old scale today, to see how I did for a challenge thread I'm on, and I couldn't believe it: 190.0! That means I am finally out of the "obese" BMI category, which was just a milestone I was shooting for, plus maybe I have finally busted through this plateau. I know the BFL is definitely changing my body shape...almost 4 weeks into it, the muscles are popping out like crazy, and my new smaller pants are almost too loose to wear.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #6  
Mel

Wow! Congratulations, nelie (and thanks for starting the thread). I logged on to start a "New Month:what are your Goals thread and found that's just what was here.

My goal is to join all of you cross training fitchicks and TRY to stop training like a bodybuilder. It's no longer my goal, and although I'm very fit and strong, and my morning long cardio has given me lots of endurance, I'm tired of training this way. My problem is HOW to change it given my work and home constraints. Not to mention increasingly fragile and complaining joints from any impact activity

Today is a "eat within reason" day, then back to fitday.

Cheryl

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #7  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Mel, thanks! Re training: Maybe you need a new sport or hobby. Anything you've always wanted to try but never did when you were too heavy? Maybe something you've forgotten about? Something low impact but challenging (has to be, for Mel, obviously)...hmm...rock climbing? hiking? surfing? wrestling? (lol...JK, but you'd probably be good at that..it's all about strength and speed) I can't wait to hear what the new workout plan is...I know it's going to be something crazy (I mean that in a good way).

PS Mel, did I miss you telling us what happened with the LBD?

Last edited by jamsk8r; 09-01-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Okay. I always feel like September is the start of the year. Must be the holdover from starting school. Anyway, I've pulled my head out from where it slipped for much of August, and my food is much closer to where it belongs. Tomorrow I need to do the same for exercise. I've not slacked off completely -but when I did get to the gym it was strictly cardio. I WILL be back to WL tomorrow. I'm tired of feeling poorly. I've had some recent health issues - but none that need to stop me from exercise, and I know that I'll feel better being back there. I've NO night meetings this week so it's a good time to recommit, and I'm not traveling until the first week of October, so I've a whole month to set this routine in place.

I've been thinking of adding swimming into my cardio mix for some variety. In college and grad school I swam a lot and I'd like to get back to it. All I need is new goggles, and those are easily obtained. I looked up the pool schedule, but they still have the summer one posted online, so tomorrow I'll call them. (It's the HS and they're not open today - already tried that. )

Rock on September!

Last edited by WaterRat; 09-01-2008 at 01:16 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #9  
Just Me

Cheryl - Congrats!

Mel - I agree, figure out a hobby or what not. My #1 goal right now is to protect my knees so that is why running is on hold.

I ended up doing a 3 mile mountainy hike today. It was nice to be out and although I can walk for miles on flat surface, hills/mountains are always tough. I like it though especially the scrambles
Old 09-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #10  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Okay, I have a lifting goal for September, one I've already been working toward, and that's to move up to the 25K bumper plates for my deadlift. I've got about 24 lbs to go, if I'm not messing up the math there. Wouldn't mind hitting 95 on my bench press, but that would mean I'd actually have to practice that, and I've been using DBs lately.

Sorry, forgot to say "thanks, Nelie!"

Last edited by jamsk8r; 09-01-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/238/180

Height: tall enough to know what's on top of your refrigerator

Hey all,

I've been MIA, too. Cheryl, a BIG CONGRATS to you on your 4 weeks of BFL success!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

I am kicking up a new BFL challenge TOMORROW. Today I went shopping and the saleslady invited me and my friend to a dress show. I can't go on that day because I am going to a birthday party. She said "it must be a big one - grandchild?" I'm only 40 - I haven't even gotten around to having my OWN kids yet! Well, my friend was very kind and said that she is seeing a difference from my workouts. We live about 2 hours away from each other, so it was good to get a perspective from someone I've not seen in a while.

I am cleaning out my closet and taking stock of winter clothing. I have enough fleece to float a battleship! It's sad to see my beautiful clothes that are too small to wear right now. However, I am keeping them in front of me to keep me inspired. I shall wear them this winter!!!

I shall!

It's kind of tough to get inspired about fall fashion when it's 85 degrees outside. Hmm. Perfect for a bike ride!
denvertechchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Mel, how did the hot anniversary dress work out? Pls share pix if you have some!

I'll join in on this fresh September thread! I agree it starts like something new, and I historically always have my best success with sticking on plan in the fall for some reason. I think the cool mornings are invigorating - first time you really "feel" like exercising since April-ish.

I'm continuing my healthy anti-stone eating plan. With both girls getting on the bus, I've gotten dh to agree to start walking with me in the mornings before work. We did it last week before all the rain and it was an hour long! I think we will cut out some loops and take it down to 45 minutes.

My fav show The Biggest Loser starts up again in 2 more weeks and I'm looking forward to that. I know it's completely unrealistic, but I try to at least exercise while watching it, so that's something.

TTFN!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #13  
Mel

Hi Fran

Gee, I'd been hoping everyone forgot about my LBD challenge I went with plan B and we forgot to take pictures. We take pictures of gardens, fencies being built, the structural supports in our attic, but never of ourselves

I decided Plan A dress was too dressy- I may NEVER wear it! and found a really cute black and white more casual dress that I loved and could breathe while wearing

Cardio done, food packed, some sort of weight workout at lunch. By my old schedule it should be leg day, but I didn't lift yestday which means I missed chest and back. I may do a very mixed up "most body" routine.

I did restart a new physical hobby/sport last year. I started skiing again after a hiatus of 25 years. And love it! But it's a little tough to maintain the enthusiasm in August other than buying a new parka

Have a good one!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #14  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Good Morning Everyone.

Wow. I'm hungry today. Didn't really do anything different today during my workout to justify it. Maybe my metabolism is revved up from all of the foods I ate over birthday week and I'm going through some kind of adjustment back into my normal eating again.

I had a nice ride yesterday morning. The skies were perfectly blue and only the slightest breeze going out. Enough of a breeze making things more of a challenge on the way back but that's okay. I'm more motivated to get back to my car than I am heading out.

I like to think that with my helmet on, sunglasses and the different set of clothes I'm wearing out there from the gym that I am somewhat incognito. Not the case. A couple of people from the gym spotted me out on the trail. One of the individuals was someone who helped me through my first spin class. It was kind of nice to catch up a little with him. But really, how can people recognize others with all of that stuff on them? I would never have recognized him. Well, part of the problem is my sunglasses. They are not great and there is a ton of glare. I know that I pass people who are smiling or attempting to grimace a hello as we pass but I really can't see anything well enough to reciprocate in time. I can't believe I need more gear for this but maybe new sunglasses are in order too. ~sigh~ Lots of ideas for Santa this year.

Cheryl: Congratulations on your success in your current BFL challenge. And good luck with your goals for this month.

Fran: Nice to see you. I would love morning walks with DH. What a great thing to look forward to this fall.

Okay. I'm starting to get foggy and need coffee. Have a great day everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #15  
Just Me

I swam this morning! I've never swam laps before and it was amazing. I swam for approximately 425m (I think that was the amount). I was surprised that I was able to swim across the length of the pool without stopping.

What amazed me the most is how hungry I was after my workout. Luckily, I had packed plenty of good snacks for today and chowed down on them.

Mel - You need a summer and a winter sport!