South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:18 AM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Has anyone here experienced anxiety/panic attacks after binging on bad carbs?

I know that sounds crazy, but after paying attention to how my body responds when I've eaten bad carbs, I've noticed several things. One of them is that yes, I feel hungry not too long after, and then eat more (which obviously adds up to taking in too many calories and weight gain) and also bloat and indigestion and overall, just a crappy feeling.

I'm going to have to get my mind right and do a completely clean Phase 1. Stress is a big factor in how I have kept falling off the wagon lately, combined with lack of willpower (no matter how stressed I get, I could just say no, but I don't.) The past couple of days have been a bad carb spree. Phase 1 CANNOT be salvaged at this point. Today I definitely overbinged on the bad stuff. I fell into temptation and BF and I got those horrible fattening carb-laden Piggly Wiggly deli plates. I had breaded deep fried chicken, white rice with gravy, macaroni and cheese, and a big gigantic biscuit. None of that is definitely SBD legal. I felt bloated and sick afterward, and a few hours later was hungry again and for something sugary, no less. BF wanted to go to the store to get himself ice cream, and I had him get me a Sara Lee New York style baked cheesecake. When he returned, I promptly ate 2 not-so-little pieces.

This is disgusting behavior! What the **** is my problem? (I don't know, and that question is rhetorical in case anybody wants to say, "you're insane, that's your problem. Psycho." )

The rest of the night I've felt bloated, sick, I had diarrhea (TMI, but it's necessary) and crappy. I'm tired but when I finally turned off Saturday Night Live and tried to go sleep, I felt that familiar ache of anxiety in my stomach and my heart is racing, like it does when I have anxiety attacks. (I'm not trying to be a drama queen here, but I'm pretty bad anxiety-wise. You should see into my head and see the horrible scenarios I imagine that could happen to my son or BF or me, and how I think of the same misgivings with some people in my life over and over and over and over and over again. My mind starts racing and just won't stop.) So, it's a little past 1, and although I tried the whole "take deep breaths" thing, I've still got that horrid feeling. I thought I'd play around online for a little bit to just chill out, and then get back to bed and hopefully fall asleep.

Okay, so, I'm wondering if all of those carbs (fried breading, white rice, mac n' cheese, cheesecake, biscuit) could somehow have triggered this, or if it's completely unrelated. Maybe the stress that is making me binge in the first place is what's giving me the anxiety, or maybe the carbs have an effect somehow? I just thought it was 'food' for thought and maybe someone else has a similar experience, who knows.

Also... I don't know why I keep going off on these binges lately. I LOVE the food on the SBD, I don't feel hungry when I eat everything I'm supposed to, so why do I ruin all of my effort by turning around and feeding my body with poison? And the scale has jumped up A LOT, more than what I normally see when I'm retaining water, good god. I don't see how I consumed enough extra calories to gain extra lbs of fat, but I'm definitely retaining a lot of bad stuff, to cause me to bloat up and see such a difference on the scale like this.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-31-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:04 AM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

It might just be stress because you feel like you've messed up so badly......that can definitely cause panic attacks.

How I feel about myself, emotionally, really impacts how I treat myself physically. When I'm feeling great, I have no problem exercising or eating right...but when I'm feeling down, it's like moving a mountain trying to convince myself that it needs to be done.

I've found that I cannot have negative influences in my life for my life to work most efficiently. When I have negative thoughts, I really try to push them out as fast as possible - because I know they are going to do nothing but bad. My personal, emotional negativity really effects my husband and my son and before I realized it, my marriage was in shambles....since working on things, our relationship is better than it was when we were dating.

Last edited by zeffryn; 08-31-2008 at 02:13 AM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:26 AM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Also, a little insight on the gains:

the pigglywiggly plate had probably 3,000-4,000 calories in it, and the cheesecake had probably 500 calories a slice, if not more.

It is definitely possible to not realize how many calories one is eating, especially if that person is trying to deny it.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:44 AM   #4  
Healthy mommy

**** YEAH that Piggly Wiggly plate has like a billion calories in it. I've always said they are the plates of death. Most of the time I avoid them like the plague yet I decided to give in to the worst of the worst today.

I understand what you mean about negatvity from one's self affecting other aspects, such as marriage. Of course I'm not married. But when I get anxious and stressed, I get negative and paranoid, and that of course creates conflict with the BF. It is not so easy for me to just push negative thoughts out, though. I logged into my messenger to see if my bff, who has went back to college, was online this time of night, and thank god- she was. So she talked me through it and I'm through the worst of the anxiety attack (god, that sounds so dramatic. It was a mild anxiety attack at worst.) She said pretty much what you said so, I'll take you guys' word for it. It makes sense. Certainly more sense than my crazy theory about the carbs doing it, heh.

I told her I am seriously considering going to the local mental health center, since I have insurance, and getting into therapy. And finding out if we have a local Overeaters Anonymous chapter around here.

Everything you said in your post I agree with, that's basically how I feel when I've been doing good and staying OP and then, when I'm down, it's very difficult to do the right thing re: healthy food choices and exercise. I think some therapy would help in all aspects of my life, including making healthy food choices and helping me stay OP.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
**** YEAH that Piggly Wiggly plate has like a billion calories in it. I've always said they are the plates of death. Most of the time I avoid them like the plague yet I decided to give in to the worst of the worst today.

I understand what you mean about negatvity from one's self affecting other aspects, such as marriage. Of course I'm not married. But when I get anxious and stressed, I get negative and paranoid, and that of course creates conflict with the BF. It is not so easy for me to just push negative thoughts out, though. I logged into my messenger to see if my bff, who has went back to college, was online this time of night, and thank god- she was. So she talked me through it and I'm through the worst of the anxiety attack (god, that sounds so dramatic. It was a mild anxiety attack at worst.) She said pretty much what you said so, I'll take you guys' word for it. It makes sense. Certainly more sense than my crazy theory about the carbs doing it, heh.

I told her I am seriously considering going to the local mental health center, since I have insurance, and getting into therapy. And finding out if we have a local Overeaters Anonymous chapter around here.

Everything you said in your post I agree with, that's basically how I feel when I've been doing good and staying OP and then, when I'm down, it's very difficult to do the right thing re: healthy food choices and exercise. I think some therapy would help in all aspects of my life, including making healthy food choices and helping me stay OP.

I thought about the OA meetings too, but then my family would call me pathetic.. my mom already thinks it's pathetic buying over $100 a week on groceries for me and only losing 5lbs a month. Nobody is ever positive about anything in my family, it's no wonder I'm the way I am.

Last edited by JellyBean32882; 08-31-2008 at 03:12 AM.
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:56 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I'm finding I have definite physical and psychological reactions to some things. High fructose corn syrup was a disaster - not far off your reaction last night after just one mixed drink with syrup in it. Even too much whole wheat bread seems to have more consequences for me than just weight gain - my eating has been off the chart and I'm really achy. I suddenly realized I'd been living on ibuprofen again since the loaf of bread last week (I'd been continuing a slice a day). I also have no doubt that years of processed carbs fed my years of depression when I was young.

IMO our bodies can definitely have weird reactions to almost any food - though processed fake foods are a bigger problem. I'd suggest keeping a journal note about what you ate and how you reacted and then going back to eating clean. If you have this reaction again do the same and compare the foods you ate. It's the only way to get to the bottom of this stuff.

Think of this as another unpleasant learning experience that will help you fine tune your eating in the future. It was a crappy experience but now you know what some people never learn about the food they eat and their body. I figure all these experiences just help us male better choices for our own bodies for the rest of our lives.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:56 AM   #7  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

When I eat sugar and white flour, I get tired, cranky, and depressed. I have Fibromyalgia, and unhealthy carbs make it worse. There is definitely a connection between the unhealthy carbs and mood, for sure. For me it's not panic, but it's definitely depression.

I thought about joining OA, but I decided to start one-on-one counseling at my church instead, to figure out exactly what is blocking me from staying on plan and finally losing the weight.

I also just started reading, Life is Hard, Food is Easy, by Linda Spangle, and so far it is very good.

Jellybean, I understand how it is to not have a supportive family. I've decided over the years that I just will not worry about what my family or friends think about the methods I've chosen to help solve my eating/food issues. If they think I'm crazy, that's not my problem.
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #8  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 170/161/135

Height: 5' 4"

It may well have been the carbs that caused the anxiety. I know I can get wired and twitchy from too much sugar or caffeine, and with it comes irritability. Too many "bad" carbs now will make my stomach feel gross too. It's because your body isn't used to processing it--I've heard of similar things happening to vegetarians who eat meat, for example.

You can definitely stick with this! Are you still in phase 1? Maybe if you make it through the two weeks this won't happen anymore.

You said stress is a big factor for you. Is there a way to remove/lessen the stress or wait (a short period of time) until you have a 'less stressful' 2 weeks open (if you are still on phase 1)? Do you live with anyone who is willing to do this with you, or at least not tempt you for a few days? I think I only survived phase 1 because my mom was doing it too, so there was always good food around.
tinycrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #9  

I think one thing that it helps to remember is that a good clean phase 1 will get rid of the physical cravings but you may still have emotional cravings. You just have to make a decision not to cave in. If I do cave in, I choose to eat only a few bites.

I grew up poor and hate to waste food. Do you have a friend who would appreciate the rest of the cheesecake? If not, throw it out.

You really do need to move on to phase 2. You need the healthy grains and fruits and you've been on phase 1 for too long. Here is my suggestion. Feel free to discard it if it doesn't make sense. Go to phase 2 (or 1.5). Just add the one healthy carb. Write down what you eat so you are accountable to yourself. Give yourself a couple of weeks of a clean phase 2. If you feel you are having cravings still then you can go back and do phase 1 but you might find it easier to stick to phase 2 without cheating.

And if it helps, post a big sign in your house or car that says something help you remember to NOT ask your BF to get you stuff you should have. Maybe something like: I'm doing this so that I can be an active, healthy mom and see my son grow up.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #10  

Height: 5'11

I think it's very possible. Good idea on doing a totally clean phase one. I have decided I would have never been able to actually stick with SB had I not been 100% commited to phase one exactly to plan. It was difficult at times but I am a true believer that is gets rid of those cravings and even the remote desire to eat that crap. We went to a pool party last night and they had KFC, mashed and gravy, biscuits, and a bunch of home made bars. It took absolutely no effort on my part not to eat it, it looked gross me (at least the KFC, the bars looked pretty great lol).
AutumnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #11  
Healthy mommy

Jellybean, screw what they say, man. Seriously. If you want to do something that YOU feel will better yourself, then that shows you're gaining strength. Their laughter likely comes from insecurity and fear; insecurity about themselves, so they must pick on you... Fear, because if you get out into the world and do your own thing, you will gain the independence they so desperately don't seem to want you to obtain.

They can be negative all they want. I also have a negative family. When I first told my sister I was pregnant last year, her first thought was to preach to me about eating right so I didn't gain 80 lbs as she claimed I was doomed to since I was already overweight. My sister is a very nasty competitive individual. She had two kids underage, and she was threatened by the thought of someone else in the family having kids that might take attention away from her. She fancies herself to be my mother's favorite and gets severely annoyed if she finds out my mother has been around me or my son. And my sister LOVED when I became overweight because to her, it makes her feel superior. And she isn't shy about saying it. She doesn't realize it's pretty obvious that she's insecure about herself as well, because who else but an insecure jealous individual would triumph when their older sister gained some friggin' weight?

Also, the other day I jokingly told my mother to kiss my @ss, and then she made a comment about how big it was. Lovely. (Not to mention she's bigger than me, yet tries to lump me in with her... and then compares us against my skinny sister, as if my sister's a model. Honestly, my sister kinda has a fugly face... heh heh heh... she looks like my dad... who is considered to be a handsome man but... not on a girl's body, bwhaha. Now who's the negative one?? It's meeee! See, Negativity feeds negativity!) Anyway I'm REALLY going off topic here, but I just thought I would say, let 'em be negative, do what you have to do for you, not them. I would love to show my sister up when I show up at Christmas looking better than her... and love to shut my mother up when it comes to comparing us, she has bloated up a lot from being an alcoholic and my grandmother told me I am not as big as mom. But that's not what is most important, what's most important is getting back to my regular size for me and my son, so he has a healthy mommy (and being a Hot Mama wouldn't hurt either. bwhaha.)

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-31-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #12  
Healthy mommy

CyndiM, wow, I'm glad to realize my theory wasn't completely insane. I never realized before how I reacted to these foods until I had been doing Ph 1 and then went off of it to binge, so you're right, it is definitely a learning experience. I'm gonna take your suggestion and start writing down how I react after what I eat.

Belle Mer, that book sounds interesting, I'll see if I can find it at the bookstore. And thanks for confirming the link between crappy food and the mood... I wasn't sure if I was crazy!

Tinycrusader, I'm starting fresh and clean on ph 1 on Monday and hoping that this time I can avoid any temptation. The person that lives with me is my BF and he's not dieting, he's thin/lean muscled. But, probably not healthy, you should see the junk that he lives off of. He loves what I cook but he often wants to go get junkfood and fast food before dinner and he's always tempting me into it. I wish he would NOT even try to tempt me and then say, "oh, well I guess you don't want that food 'cause you're on a diet..." It's like, c'mon, you KNOW you're tempting me and I personally wish he wouldn't even bring it up. I wish he would just go to those places behind my back. He's dragged me into too much food debauchery lately and although yes, it's my fault for going along with it, his influence is a factor as well. Argggh!

Barb, I know exactly what you mean about the emotional cravings. The last time I did phase 1 I did it clean, the whole 2 weeks. But I still had cravings, and emotional cravings is a better word because they weren't really physical. My BF ate the rest of the cheesecake for breakfast. Honestly, I haven't done a pure phase 1 day in a long while, it's been nothing but junk. I'd start out right, with eggs, but then screw up all day. It's been rice, pasta, chinese and rice, fried chicken sandwiches on white buns, fried chicken, rice, mac n/ cheese, biscuits, bread.... I really need a clean ph 1. (I don't even normally eat like that for the most part, pre SBD, I would make chinese stir frys with brown rice, sandwiches with whole wheat, whole-wheat lasagna, and stuff like that. Something is triggering these crazy binges and I have to figure out what.) I like the idea about the sign.

AutumnRose, excellent, excellent job on avoiding the KFC. At this point, with these insane cravings I've been having, I probably would have devoured it all.

Thanks guys for validating my concerns and letting me know I'm not crazy. It is a learning experience, like Cyndi says... The thought of eating these foods makes me sick, it's literally POISON. Nothing that made me feel as bad as I did could be good for you.

So, I shouldn't cave. Yet, I do. I don't know why, other than a lack of willpower? It seems like I only really want that crappy food when I'm on the SBD, as if I'm feeling emotionally deprived so then, that makes me want the food I don't even normally eat frequently. How do you turn that switch off?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
Jellybean, screw what they say, man. Seriously. If you want to do something that YOU feel will better yourself, then that shows you're gaining strength. Their laughter likely comes from insecurity and fear; insecurity about themselves, so they must pick on you... Fear, because if you get out into the world and do your own thing, you will gain the independence they so desperately don't seem to want you to obtain.

They can be negative all they want. I also have a negative family. When I first told my sister I was pregnant last year, her first thought was to preach to me about eating right so I didn't gain 80 lbs as she claimed I was doomed to since I was already overweight. My sister is a very nasty competitive individual. She had two kids underage, and she was threatened by the thought of someone else in the family having kids that might take attention away from her. She fancies herself to be my mother's favorite and gets severely annoyed if she finds out my mother has been around me or my son. And my sister LOVED when I became overweight because to her, it makes her feel superior. And she isn't shy about saying it. She doesn't realize it's pretty obvious that she's insecure about herself as well, because who else but an insecure jealous individual would triumph when their older sister gained some friggin' weight?

Also, the other day I jokingly told my mother to kiss my @ss, and then she made a comment about how big it was. Lovely. (Not to mention she's bigger than me, yet tries to lump me in with her... and then compares us against my skinny sister, as if my sister's a model. Honestly, my sister kinda has a fugly face... heh heh heh... she looks like my dad... who is considered to be a handsome man but... not on a girl's body, bwhaha. Now who's the negative one?? It's meeee! See, Negativity feeds negativity!) Anyway I'm REALLY going off topic here, but I just thought I would say, let 'em be negative, do what you have to do for you, not them. I would love to show my sister up when I show up at Christmas looking better than her... and love to shut my mother up when it comes to comparing us, she has bloated up a lot from being an alcoholic and my grandmother told me I am not as big as mom. But that's not what is most important, what's most important is getting back to my regular size for me and my son, so he has a healthy mommy (and being a Hot Mama wouldn't hurt either. bwhaha.)

Ya, you are right. As I lose more weight I become more happy hence build more self confidence and not care what others think.

I can't believe it, I've lost like 23lbs and doesn't look like it to me but can fit into 20s now instead of 22s.. weird. I think I lost more in the boobs than anywhere else, lol.

Last edited by JellyBean32882; 08-31-2008 at 08:44 PM.
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #14  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean32882 View Post
Ya, you are right. As I lose more weight I become more happy hence build more self confidence and not care what others think.

I can't believe it, I've lost like 23lbs and doesn't look like it to me but can fit into 20s now instead of 22s.. weird. I think I lost more in the boobs than anywhere else, lol.
Good for you!!
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote