Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default My new favorite salad!

I always love the free samples at Trader Joe's - I've found so many new great things! Last week, they were handing out tiny cups of Dr. Praegger's Tex Mex Veggie Burgers with a dollop of Trader Joe's tzatziki on top - it was FABULOUS.

So, I used it as a basis for a really yummy salad. I used very crisp romaine, 2 heated/crumbled Dr. Praegger's Tex Mex burgers (although I will probably only use 1 burger next time, I was pretty full after 2 - they are 100 calories each), diced roma tomato, diced red onion, a little shredded carrot, a little shredded purple cabbage, a few sliced kalamata olives and a handful of pepperocini rings. I used the Trader Joe's tzatziki as the dressing! (it has 30 calories per 2 tbs and I did use quite a bit of it - but it still fit within my normal "dinner" calories).

A new favorite salad is born!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Yum! That sounds incredible. I will have to try it out....I am due for a trip to Trader Joe's anyway. Thanks for sharing! By the way, have you tried their greek yogurt (0% fat) by Fage? One packet of Splenda and a couple of sliced strawberries and I almost feel guilty because it tastes so good!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love the Trader Joe's brand no fat Greek yogurt with honey (in the yellow container). I also like the no fat Greek yogurt pomegranate flavor. I usually eat one for breakfast nearly every morning with 1/2 cup of Nature's Path organic pumpkin flax granola! Fage is good too - it's just a little spendier so I normally buy the TJ's brand.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #4  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Thank you for sharing this; it sounds very good! I really enjoy going to Trader Joe's.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/221/150

Height: 5' 5"

I love Trader Joe's! I will have to try your salad recipe. I have had the plain veggie burgers, but not the Tex Mex. Are they spicy?

I'm already thinking of a Southwestern style salad using one of the salad blends, topped with a crumbled tex mex patty, some of the roasted corn & black bean salsa, chopped tomato, and a dollup of the plain Mediterranean style yogurt. Serve it up with a serving of baked tortilla chips.

Eating healthy can be good!
WindyCityG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Ooh, that sounds delish! I love Dr. Praeger's burgers. I'd never thought of using them like that though. Thanks for the idea!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I am instantly intrigued everytime you endorse a salad, Glory (or anything, really). Denver is set to get their first Trader Joe's in the next several months, so I will have to drool until then...
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:46 PM   #8  

Sounds delish!!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote