Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/see ticker/195

Height: 6'2"

Default Good Eats (Tasty and semi-healthy) in San Diego

Hi guys,

I am heading to San Diego with my husband in a little over a month for a fabulous vacation. Any good restaurant ideas for me? We are looking for tasty (DH hates seafood) and semi-healthy eats. All input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Angie
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Hi Angie,
I really like The Burger Lounge in La Jolla. They have burgers and those kinds of things, but there's a salad there that I get w/ chicken and the dressing on the side and it has Jicama and corn and other veggies. I am sure that salad is very healthy. I dip my fork into the dressing, but really, I don't do it all that much and it's still good. Also, next door to the Burger Lounge (which is in La Jolla Village) is The Coffee Cup. It has excellent, healthy breakfast type items...lots of egg whites and veggies, but they also have things your hubby would enjoy too. Another good breakfast place is in Solana Beach and it's called Naked Cafe. It's also great for breakfast and lunch, but is closed for dinner. Their pesto scramble is yummy and so is their Oatmeal. Again, there's stuff like pancakes, etc. that aren't that healthy. I also like Kemo Sabe which is in Hillcrest (take a walk on University Avenue and you'll see fun shops). On 5th Ave & University, Kemo Sabe has excellent fusion food. Your hubby will probably enjoy Skirts on Fire, a signature dish that is VERY spicy! I had the Halibut that has a Teriake glaze. It comes on top of noodles, but you can ask them for their seaweed salad instead of the pasta.

If you like Moroccan food, there's Kous Kous on 4th Avenue (a block away from Kemo Sabe). I had their seafood dish that was some sort of a fish with shrimp and Kous Kous. Your hubby might like their meat that is cooked for 10 hours!

Finally, there's Pacifica in Del Mar. It's great to eat there any time, but during the day, ther'es a nice ocean view. I get their Salmon on top of greens, but there's plenty of other delicious fare to choose from.

I hope that helps! Have a great time!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Where are you going to be in San Diego? Downtown or other places?

In the general San Diego area, if you like tea, I recommend the Bamboo lounge. I don't know if they serve food but its a fun place to try a variety of teas and its quite serene.

I used to love the mexican restaurants in Old town but they've 'changed' and last time I went, they weren't very good. Its a loss I mourn but I do think old town is interesting to walk around and do a little shopping.

One of my favorite mexican restaurants is La Especial Norte in Leucadia. You can find healthier items on the menu but it is overall really good mexican food.

If you want to try something fun/interesting, there is a raw food restaurant in Carlsbad called Cilantro Live! It is on the health side but not everyone is ready to dip into raw food.

I've only been to the ones in Orange County but there is at least 1 Wahoo's Fish tacos in San Diego. I had a love affair with Wahoo's and they do have fairly healthy food and the price is pretty inexpensive.

Since you are in Colorado, you probably already know 'Sweet Tomatoes'. Well it is a chain but in California, they are called 'Soup Plantation' and its the same company. Of course its not exciting but since I live somewhere without a good salad bar place, I go there often when visiting.

I don't go into San diego proper much so I don't really have any good suggestions there. My loves when visiting are taco shops and soup plantation.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote