Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Default Barefeet or ceiling fan = bad?

I've been doing the 30 Day Shred for just over a week now and got to thinking that two things I'm doing might not be right.

First, I generally wear Crocs around during the day and I know exercising in them would be bad. So, I've been taking them off and exercising in my bare feet. Is that bad? Am I risking impact injuries? Should I put on my tennis shoes?

Secondly, as I get warm, I've been turning on the ceiling fan so I have a breeze. Am I asking for a cold or other bad things? Or, is it perfectly fine?
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i think that perhaps you should be wearing shoes, but the fan shouldnt be too bad. At my gym we always have huge fans blowing breezes over us. As long as you dont stay cold and sweaty after your work out, you'd probably be ok. Well, in my opinion
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:58 AM   #3  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

Well if having a fan on is wrong I don't wanna be right.

As far as shoes I think it depends on what you're doing. Yoga, belly dance, pilates, a lot of those things you're encouraged to do sans shoes.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

You should definitely be wearing shoes -- and I'm not talking the Crocs. I do 30-Day Shred as well. Lots of those moves could really screw up your arch. How do you like the Shred?

By the way, having a breeze should be fine. Every gym I have ever had a membership to has kept the building on the cooler side.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

You really should wear some supportive athletic shoes when doing an aerobic activity.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

OK, I'll start wearing my New Balance tennis shoes while doing the exercises, but I'll keep on the fan.

I've done it every day for the past nine days. I hope to do it today, then start taking weekends off. For the first eight days, I used two pound weights. Yesterday, I switch to five pounders and, boy, was there a difference! I am liking it. I can see myself keeping up with it. I've only lost two pounds so far, but I think I can see my body shape improving.
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #7  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

Height: 5'4"

also, you can't get a cold from breezes. you get colds from viruses that thrive on your mucus membranes. when your membranes get juicy (from being cold or whatever), the virus bits have a better place to stick (which also helps blow them out of your nose).

i'm a nerd. but yeah, ceiling fans are awesome!
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:49 AM   #8  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I've hit my hands/fingers more than once on the ceiling fan, so depending on how low yours hangs down, watch out
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Yeah, Crocs are too loose-fitting and too mooshy to be any good for exercising in. Barefoot might be ok if it's in your comfort zone: when I first started doing Leslie Sansone videos I did so barefoot, but when I tried a couple of Walk it Off with George Foreman disks some of the moves involved foot-dragging and with the cracked skin on my feet catching on the carpet it wasn't comfortable, so I started wearing shoes (and eventually ditched the Foremans). I use the same shoes for exercise that I wear to work during the day (Tevas with grippy soles), but I really should get a pair of dedicated exercise shoes
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote