General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Hair color and other cosmetic disasters

Yes, it was off-topic, but it was a fun topic that just was getting started when the thread was closed by its creator, anyone want to continue the discussion about hair color or other cosmetic disassters.

When I was five, I used my mother's mascara (the one with the "lash-lengthening" commercials) and I tried to wash it off, but I still thought that it looked like my lashes HAD grown, so I used fingernail clippers to clip them short (way too short).

My mom didn't notice for a few days, so I thought I was home free, and one day she was staring at me forever, and finally shouted "what happened to your eyelashes," and I had to come clean.

She told me they wouldn't grow back for 7 years, and it was lucky I didn't cut my eyeball (hey I was smart, that's why I used fingernail clippers and not scissors). Oh, and they did grow in alot sooner than 7 years, but I did look pretty goofy for quite a while.

Because it became a family joke, back then I was glad that she hadn't thought to take pictures, but now I sorta wish she had. I still remember how my friend Gigi (yep that was her real name - if I told you her last name, you wouldn't believe that either) cut off her bangs to about an 1/8 inch high line of stubble across her forhead.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-28-2008 at 11:14 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 259/259/175

Height: 5'11"

When i was 13 I wanted to be like Claire Danes in "My So Called Life" So I got a bottle of "Washes out in 6 shampoos" BRIGHT red dye.

It was permanent, and I was my natural blonde color back then.

oh, and my mom never used to let me buy makeup when i was a kid kid, so one time I used washable green crayola marker as eyeliner.
dkneec19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

In 8th grade, I was trying to fit in with the "cool" kids. I decided I was going to dye my hair BLACK, to show how tough I was. I bought some semipermanent dye, supposed to wash out after 6 weeks.

Well, it didn't...at least, not from everywhere. It washed out of the ends, alright, and grew out on the top, but stuck in the middle. And my mom wouldn't let me dye it again. So I had a big BLACK stripe, just in the middle of my shoulder length hair, with 2 inches of roots at the top in brown, and two inches of ends at the bottom in a weird faded brown/orange.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 259/247/150

Height: 5'6

Red face oh my.....

ok...there was the lemon yellow hair.

the village idiot bangs. (you know exactly what i mean). this was in HIGH school. not 2nd grade.

the sun in incident. it was orange not yellow.

the self tanner debacle.

and the fake fingernails i did myself at age 13. they were a inch THICK. ok, slight exaggeration.

oh...and NO eyebrows.
mrs dorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

When I was like 14 I wanted to experiance "in style eyebrows"... Well, I didn't know what tweezers were, so I started shaving them.... I accidently shaved off half of my eyebrow on one side. It never grew back the same!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #6  

madalinn was a skunk!

aw, poor you.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Thats what the kids at SCHOOL said. So much for being the cool kid...

Oh! And to make it worse, that year, my dog got TOTALLY sprayed by a skunk and it got into all of our stuff. We apparently smelled so bad that we got sent home from school. Because our skunk smell was distracting the other students!

THAT didn't help the skunk comments, that's for sure...
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 259/259/175

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
In 8th grade, I was trying to fit in with the "cool" kids. I decided I was going to dye my hair BLACK, to show how tough I was. I bought some semipermanent dye, supposed to wash out after 6 weeks.

Well, it didn't...at least, not from everywhere. It washed out of the ends, alright, and grew out on the top, but stuck in the middle. And my mom wouldn't let me dye it again. So I had a big BLACK stripe, just in the middle of my shoulder length hair, with 2 inches of roots at the top in brown, and two inches of ends at the bottom in a weird faded brown/orange.

Awww!! This has kind of happened to me to! I totally feel for you! I went to the Aveda school and I told the girl NO RED (because I learned early on, obviously, that red sticks in my hair like superglue) but she did anyways which turned my hair a weird auburn (wheN i just wanted dark brown) Well...it took her 2 more tries over a week span to re-dye it dark.. and the second time it was preettttyyyyyy dark brown. I initially had about 2 inches of fresh regrowth and let me tell, when I decided to no longer dye my hair, those two inches stay for the long haul.

I totally understand!!
dkneec19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:25 PM   #9  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

For me was grade 9 dyed hair copper the night before school pics. Then wore an awesome green sweater. Got pics back and I looked like a green copper penny with huge 80s glasses.

Then several years ago when I 1st felt old. To many nights up with the babe nursing. I told the stylist I wanted to have sun kissed blond streaks. I came home to being blond with some natural brown streaks!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #10  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

1- When I was in 11th grade, I dyed my hair bright sky blue. I was blonde. I intended on just doing little streaks of blue here and there for a unique punk-ish (or so I thought) sort of look, but I let my friend do it, and he completely screwed it up. My entire head was blue (and it was permanent!) And it stained the entire tub and my grandmother was FURIOUS.

A week later, my mom came to visit me and she was horrified. I always have kept my hair long (not too long, but nice and long). She made me go to the salon and my hair was cut into this ridiculously short little mushroom bob complete with thick bangs! UGH! This one annoying @**hole starting calling me Smurf! It was absolutely hideous, why oh why!

2- My sister, when she was younger, cut out a huge chunk of hair on the top of her hair, so she had this baldish spiky patch on her head, it was hilarious.

3- Earlier today, I was in a rush to do my makeup. I normally do black eyeliner on the top lid, and then any color I please on the inner lid. Today I was in a time crunch as I said, so I took a navy blue liner, rimmed my inner eyes, and drew on my top lids to make it look like I did some sort of brightish navy smokey eye. Well, it ended up looking like something from the disco era, sans the glitter.

4- The summer before 12th grade, I bleached my hair until it was white blonde and the blue was all out. After school, I was 18 and decided to dye my hair a beautiful magenta, and it was so rock n' roll. Then it started fading and my hair color was really odd, so I decided to bleach over it again, thinking that I could turn it back to blonde. Well, half of my head was bright orange, the other half was some weird color... I looked freakin' GROSS.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-28-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #11  

oh! i forgot about the time my mom highlighted my hair with the cap that you were suposed to pull "some" hair thru.

she pulled every freaking hair.

it was farrah fawcett hair.

did i mention i am a brunette?

dark brunette.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #12  

Height: 5'9"

I have naturally light blonde hair. In 10th grade I wanted to be "cool" and dye my hair, my Mom was totally against because she loved my white natural hair, but she caved in and bought me "strawberry blonde" hair dye.... Basically, My hair turned BRIGHT BRIGHT *BRIGHT* red. It was horrific. My Mom made me go to school the next day. I remember wearing a hoodie and refusing to take my hood off. So horrible. I will never ever put red in my hair again.... lesson learned!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm laughing so hard, tears are running down my face, and I think I'm going to have to run (or more accurately, hobble) to the bathroom cross-legged.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-28-2008 at 11:46 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
cut off her bangs to about an 1/8 inch high line of stubble across her forhead.
I did this.

Honestly I don't think other than that very young childhood crisis (my mom cried - I remember that), I ever had a true disaster. I've always been a wimp about drastic changes.

Oh, wait. There was the perm that I got ... home perm ... and then fell into the swimming pool (seriously - I was a klutz) and it FRIZZED like mad. *sigh*

I'd almost recovered from that emotional drama and now it's all fresh in my mind again.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:47 PM   #15  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

My darling daughter did the self haircut with the stubble at her crown 2 weeks before my sisters wedding last year. I spend days crying and trying to figure out how to hide it in the pics. Its hard to hide the flowergirl with bad hair. Not even the wreath of flowers helped. But we survived and now that cut is preserved in photos.
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote