Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #1  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Unhappy I feel bad about not exercising.......

I've been sick for the past week b/c I've been fighting a head cold Not so fun, I've also held out on the exercising for a week, I feel crappy about missing out on it but I physically would not be able to do cardio. I figure I'll just get back to it when I'm feeling better.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #2  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

I had a bad cold recently and did not want to stop exercising so I looked it up on the internet and the studies that have been done suggest that if it is a head cold- above the neck- keep exercising just take the intensity down a notch. If it is below the neck give your body a rest. Frankly, the best i felt all day with my cold was during and several hours after I exercised- I guess the naturally released epinephrine dryed me out for a short period of time. The hard part was just getting started- after that i was really glad I had done it.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #3  
Workin' It

I actually did the same thing three weeks ago - I was stuffy and miserable, but all in my head and ears. I worked out every day still, but for less time and not as heavy duty. I actually think I recovered faster than I normally do from a cold, and it definitely cleared my head at the time. Though, lifechange is right - the hardest part was making myself do it.

Hope you feel better!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I think it all depends on how you feel. If I have a mild cold, I'll still exercise, albeit at a lower intensity (and I have sometimes felt that the exercise helped keep me from getting sicker). But if I have the sort of cold where it's all I can do to get up off the sofa, well, then I pretty much stay on the sofa.

There's no sense in overdoing it. In the grand scheme of your life, one week of missed workouts isn't going to matter. The most important thing is to get back to your workouts once you are feeling up to it again. Don't let this one week of missed workout turn into a month of miss workouts, etc... But so long as you start working out again once you feel up to it, you'll be back to your pre-illness fitness level in no time. In few months you'll look back and it will be as if the illness never happened.

So don't feel guilty about not exercising. You're sick. Stay home, take care of yourself, stay on plan with your eating. You'll pick up the exercise again when you feel up to it.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 08-28-2008 at 07:57 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #5  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

I haven't felt like myself to workout even if its low key. That's just me though. I feel like I need to give my body a rest to fully recover. I've had to go to work sick, I do 12 hr shifts mostly on my feet and have to care for sick people on top of that. I couldn't afford to use PTO since I need it for my vacation next month....
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

God darn rain! I walked to the track where I walk almost every night, as soon as I got there it started POURING rain!. So I didn't get to walk tonight And I get weighed in tomorrow. And I ate chips today thinking, well I'll just walk an extra lap tonight...... It's just not my day... lol
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote