Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default 30 Something Chat Thurs. Aug. 28th

GOOD MORNING CHICKSTERS!!!

Hope everyone had a good Wednesday. Everything's great here. Just gotta run a few errands today (DH's birthday is tomorrow & I need wrapping paper), then take the kids to school for their open house, where they will meet the teachers, drop off their supplies/etc. Cadence is so excited, Frankie could care less. I guess by fourth grade the novelty has worn off.

Alicia, yes, Frankie did have more work last year. This district goes by a policy of 10min per year, IE, third grade was 30 min, not including 15 min of reading time. Sometimes, though, it would take longer if Frankie had a hard time understanding the homework, and also if I had a hard time explaining it. We had a few very frustrating times where I just had to walk away...KWIM??

I need to get going, Frankie needs some breakfast...will check back in later today. Have a super day!!

P
pmasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 7"

wanted to let you all know that I am still here and still reading, just don't have time to comment on alot.

Yesterday was Senior Day. Oh my goodness, hopefully I dont ever get that crochetty. lol

Lisa
lppennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/160

Height: 5' 8"

I already am that crochety... at 39!! ROFLMAO!!! What will I be like at 70? A murderess?? LOL

Good morning all... this is my lat day of work before the 4 day weekend. Still haven't heard anything from my boss on the full time deal. Sad to report that Napoleon did not get eaten by wild squirrels and was in the office yesterday. Maybe I'll wish for demented hamsters next time.

Don't even talk to me about homework... DS hates homework and blames the teacher for hating him and that's why they give homework... Logic? I think not. DD loves it so much she does book reports all summer long. Yesterday, she did a full report on the types of clouds in the sky for no other reason than it interests her and she wanted to learn more. She is going into 6th so she will probably get lots and lots... which for her is a good thing.

So have a fab day all and I will check in later.
poppyseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/237/175

Height: 5'8"

Valerie ~ Ahhhhhh... DD doing a book report on the types of clouds in the sky is wonderful! I love curious kids.

Lisa ~ good hearing from you! Are you working non-stop these days?

Pam ~ you need wrapping paper? We're selling some right now for the school fundraiser! Interested? NOT! I can't stand fundraisers and never hit people up to buy. One kid last year sold $1800 worth of wrapping paper??? How is that possible? I don't even buy the stuff.

Caffeine ~ I LOVED your beach house story! How neat that your mom took that money and put it into something that not only brings her such peace and pleasure, but your family as well. So neat. Enjoy!

Alicia ~ homework in our district grows with each grade level. Liam just started fourth grade and he has at least 30 - 45 minutes per evening. Surprisingly, he is doing sooooooooooo great right now and rarely complains. He's very excited about fourth grade. This time last year he was already miserable. He brought home his social studies textbook "just because he was interested" yesterday afternoon. He's a huge bookworm and sat with it for over an hour last night.

I did some baking last night to take to my FIL's this weekend. I made these bars called "Knock you Naked" bars.... Oh my! One taste and I figured out why they're called that;-). Caramel, chocolate, rolled oats and nuts... I had to have one this morning with my morning coffee but then immediately cut them up and packed them away. They're sinfully delicious! Time to run some errands before DD gets out of school. Happy Thursday ~ Joan
IrishJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #5  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Good morning Chicksters!

Not a lot going on here this AM. The heating man is doing some work to our boiler, so we are stuck here. He's out now buying parts. Eewwee. That sounds scary to me! LOL. I'm afraid of how much it's going to cost us. Supposedly only a couple hundred, but we'll see what it actually ends up. The downside of owning a house!

Alright, I'm being paged to race in Mario Kart!! I'll try to check in again later.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #6  
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Height: 5'6"

Morning everyone!

Pam, we have the same 10min per grade and the 15min of reading. Yes I know about having to walk away. BTW, how was your concert?

Hey Lisa! Good to see ya!

Valerie, you remind me of a really bad horror movie we have from years ago. I think it was giant rats but I got the same image, lol. BTW, I might keel over if either one of my kids wrote a book report of their own free will....

Joan, have fun at the FIL's.

Was it Caffiene and Marianne going to beach houses and cottages? Sounds like a great way to end the summer.

I have to work this weekend, blech. Plus the girl who relieves me told me she'll be late on Monday cause she has to sign papers with her landlord, yeah right. I don't buy it.

My DH is making us steaks for lunch....at 10:30, hes obsessed with steaks and grilling and lately I've had every type of steak known to man.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Alicia
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/184/150

Good morning!

All this talk about school/homework - we still seem so far away from all of that, but I'm sure it will be here before I know it!

Caffeine - that beach house story is great. We started going to our family's cottage when I was 1 and I'd have to say it's my favourite place on earth. I hope you have a great weekend!

Pam - happy birthday to your DH! Do you have anything special planned?

Joan - ok, you may just have to post the recipe for your Knock You Naked bars - they sound wonderful! Enjoy your visit with FIL.

KarenK - boiler trouble sounds scary! Those kind of house repairs are always so hard to swallow - it's not like you'll have a new couch or something to show for the bills! Well, at least you'll be warm, I suppose that's important too!

Alicia - That's too bad that you have to work this weekend. What kind of work do you do? Enjoy your steaks! What kind is it today?

Yes, we're going to our cottage this weekend too. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll be able to get to the beach!
To answer your question from yesterday, we'd be moving about 1400 miles away. We're in Manitoba, Canada and we'd be moving to Southern Ontario. It would be a major move but as far as I'm concerned it's short-term pain for long-term gain. It looks pretty positive but we won't really know for a few months.

Hi to everyone else!

Have a great day.
guppy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #8  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #9  

Height: 5'6

Hey again!

Lisa, good to see you every now & then. HOpe work is treating you well

Valerie, I hear ya on the homework...Frankie thinks his teacher last year was mean for giving him "so much homework". Meanwhile, the kid learned every line dance in her class...I never had a teacher that taught "Cotton-Eye Joe"!! Hope you hear soemthing today on the job...let us know!!

Joan, the dessert bars sound awesome!!! So glad Liam likes 4th grade...we are going to meet the teachers & drop off supplies today, Cady is so excited, Frankie could care less (I feel like I already said this..I'll have to check my previous post). HOpe you have a wonderful visit this weekend!

Karen, HOpe the boiler doesn't cost TOO much. We switched to electric heat after out first winter here..thank goodness. Oil heat would kill us.

Alicia, hope your weekend goes quick. Any ideas for a new job yet?? How are the kids making out now that they're in school?? Oh, the concert was pretty good. We completely missed Cheap Trick (my gf is perpetually late, last year we went to see STyx & Def Leppard, only saw two song of Styx, boy was i mad!!), but Heart kicked a**!!! Ann Wilson sounds just like she did thirty years ago!! Journey was really good, and although the new guy sounded just like Steve Perry, it was kind of weird. Still really good, though.

Marianne, sounds like you have a great weekend planned. Hope you have beautiful weather.

GG, is Kajagoogoo on the bill too??LOL, I used to love all that stuff. Wanted to go see George Michael last month, but couldn't justify the 150.00 ticket price.

Isn't Kori getting married this weekend? I knew she said she was havign lots of company.

Okay, off to make lunch. Haven't been logging my calories the past two days, back on it today. Didn't eat poorly, but I think I need to see itin front of me.

Have a great afternoon.

Pam
pmasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #10  
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Pam, that's funny about the teacher making them dance. Spencer's Principal is one crazy chick. When I went with him on the first day she had us do the Chicken dance, the hokey pokey and a bunch of other stuff. Spencer was to shy to do any of it, but alot of the kids loved it! I'm going to apply for a job that's weekends only. Keep your fingers crossed, it would be GREAT!

Marianne, thats a big move! I think we had a chuck eye or round or something like that. The whole time we were eating I had to listen about his seasonings and marinade. I am a caregiver, I actually like the job, just not the hours.

DH finally left the house. Im gonna go and work out at the gym again, I really need it after that lunch.

Talk later ladies!
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 199.4/195.4/149

Height: 5ft3in

Hey guys! Haven't had much time lately but the classroom is done, the schedule is kind of just there and the kids are wondering why mommy is asleep before them...so busy! Open house is tomorrow and the kids are coming after Labor day. I am just being careful about what I eat and hoping that once school starts my choices will be limited. I hope to get there someday! I hope everyone is well and enjoying these last days of summer. We are sending the kiddos to my mom's for the weekend and trying to enjoy the long weekend. Take care, Erin
mcmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote