Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #1  

Default 60's and Beyond #115

G'day all,

It is Monday and I am back to some sort of order...I think...that will change again when we leave on Thursday for Melbourne and visit our daughter for 10 days

Nice to 'see' you Slavika, sorry to hear gd is not well, I am sure she would have enjoyed being spoilt by you for a few hours. For a dog like Patches it is very easy for the fur to matt. I had the same problem with my pappilions, I tried my hardest but their fur always seemed to matt espectially in their necks.

Glad your doctor straight away put you on some meds for your high cholestrol Ann, I agree it always seems to be something.

Your plan sounds good Trish, 30 minutes excercise a day does not seems that difficult to achieve but I know how hard it is to keep that up, so good luck!

It is amazing that we are almost into spring and you guys almost into autumn, it seemed like yesterday our winter started. Adelaide has had a terrific amount of rain, the highest fall since 1974. I hope that means we will not have water restrictions this summer.
Adelaide has a very dry climate so ANY rain is very welcome.

Alan has bought himself a new computer a HP TouchSmart. Quite amazing that you can either use a mouse of touch the screen, the grand girls think it is fantastic being able to just touch the screen and 'things happen'!
I can imagine each wednesday when we look after them they will be wanting to use Alan's computer!

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 08-17-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #2  
Member Florida Chick

Hi All:

We really 'dodged the bullet' this time. Storm Fay really missed us. We had some wind and rain, but nothing serious at all. We needed the rain. So far there hasn't been much damage in the state, some trees down, etc. but nothing major. What a relief.

So far so good with the new meds. No achy muscles . I hope it works.

I have started a new plan to see if I can jump start some weight loss. Before I've been counting my points and then adding flex points or exercise points. I never used the full allowance of flex points. I also go to Curve 3x a week and when weather permits try to walk or ride my bike as well as go to the pool for an hour of exercise. But nothing was happening.

So the new plan is to start with 20 points and make myself stick to that for the day. And I haven't used the activity points or flex point, I just know according to plan I do have 4 point to used if needed. So far I have not needed to use them. And it is making me plan more carefully. I haven't got on the scale yet, but will let you know if it worked at the end of the week.

Sally: I agree that I would like to be thinner when I get my hair cut, but sadly only my head gets thinner. : and that is not the part that needs the most help.

Maria- Have a great time in Melbourne.

Trish: you can do the 30min. exercise every day but one. Especially if you are doing in indoors, but outdoor exercise is great. What sort of exercises are you doing?

Suz: How is the garden growing? Are doing well with your Farmers Market?

I'm sure everyone has been watching the Olympics. There have certainly had both highs and lows for the athletes. Some broken hearts for sure, having to wait for another four years to try for a medal. What age do you think those 2 little Chinese gymnasts are? I can see why there are questions, for sure.

Off to watch again. Good night.

Ann
Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #3  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everybody...

I hadn't been here since July 18, I had lots of catching up to do. Looks like everyone had an interesting summer. Of course not as exciting as Maria's winter trip. I don't know how I would have coped in the same situation. We have been keeping busy and the weather was good. Today it started out sunny and hot and then cooled down and is raining. Weather warnings out for this evening.
Once again, I had some pc problems, but my daughter "fixed" things up for me. I will see how long it lasts. I will be on the look-out for a new computer. Since I am technically challenged, it isn't something I am looking forward to. I did an on-line questionaire that said I should be looking at Intel Core Quad 2 Processors.... now if I could only figure out what they are...
On the rabbit front, we still have them running about our yard. The grandkids are absolutely delighted and love to come here and see them. However, my DH borrowed a trap and has been putting it outside every day, filled with apples and lettuce. So far, they have been too smart for him and have avoided the trap.
My cousin came for a 10 day visit. She lives in Hamilton, Ontario. We all tried to make her visit memorable. Folklorama was on so we took in quite a few events, we all had dinners at our homes and we all got to see our own city again. We did have fun, but 10 days was very loooooooong. I don't know why it is that it will take visitors arriving for us to enjoy our pretty city.
One day my DH and I went on a river taxi tour with our DD and family. We went in the morning and there wasn't a lot of traffic at the time, so the boat driver stopped and let all the little kids drive the boat for a while. My grandchildren were so happy, you should have seen their faces.
We took a couple of small jaunts around and had a very nice summer. I am talking like it is over, but once we get to the end of Aug. and the children start getting ready for school, it always feels close to the end.
I really loved the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. Canada got off to a very poor start but has won some medals and the press isn't on them so much anymore. We are not a summer Olympic country. We should do better next year for the Winter games. Not that we ever win more than the USA. Of course it would help if our government was more generous to the participants. They don't get funding like the other countries give to their athletes.
I have signed up for Line Dancing on Saturday mornings. It doesn't start until Sept 20th, but I am excited already. Always wanted to do it.

Bye for now...
Old 08-23-2008, 07:32 AM   #4  
suz
suz

S/C/G: 178/150.6/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Everyone
wow it has been about 3 weeks since I posted did not realize it was that long my how time flys when you are busy

The farmers market has been going well keeping us busy picking on Thursday and Friday We usually sell all our veggies but it has not been a good year as we have had way to much rain and not enough sun and warm weather The tomato plants started to die from the bottom up and only set maybe an average of 7 tomatos per plant instead of 2 or 3 times that many Our roma tomatos are very small and they seem to be falling off while still green It also looks like we are not going to get any winter squash this year its always a good seller at Thanksgivmg time

We got invited to the annual zucchini festival on Sept so I will let a couple of zucchini grow and enter into the largest zucchini contest I think I will also make some zucchini food stuff to sell

Maria I just lokked at your vacation pictures what beautiful country and such interesting looking nirds and flowers So glad you and Allan are OK

Hello to everyone else Suz
Old 08-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #5  
Net browser

Smile

Hi Everybody: Looks like everyone is home now from holidays. Ann what kind of medicine did your doctor put you on. I have been on about 4 different kinds now (all statin drugs) and after a month my muscles start to hurt and then the doctor tries me on a different one. The one I am on is called Lescol XL and I think this one has bothered me the most. I remember I was on Zorcor and Crestor at one time and those didn't work out either. I see the doctor on Sept. 4th and I know I will have to come off Lescol. It's too bad that I have trouble with the "statin" drugs because they are the ones thought to be the best especially if you have had a heart attack. Most people do not have trouble and maybe you will be one of the lucky ones. I had trouble getting here today. I couldn't find us under "WW Clubs & Groups". I had to get here in a round about fashion from my personal page. Suz, seems like the gardens here have not done too well. My friend's tomatoes rotted from the bottom. Now what do I have to do to highlight the names like gals have done?? Gloria congrats on the 13# weight loss, WTG.

Last edited by slavika; 08-26-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #6  
Super Surfer

Talking Hi everyone..

How's everyone doing?
I have my new computer up and running. There are a few things I have to work out yet. I have 1-800 numbers to call for assistance, and believe me, I will be calling them. So far it is good. I know Maria has Vista, does anyone else? It doesn't look too much different. I am having trouble opening PowerPoint even though it is installed. My printer only prints in color and I want to enlarge the font in IE. I thought I has solved that problem in e-mail, but it reverted back.
I have my seasonal allergy back again, this time my hands are covered in the rash I usually get on my cheeks. Getting old is just one big barrel of laughs.

Does anyone know about INTERNET SETTINGS vs INTRANET SETTINGS? I wonder which is better? The way I read it .. the INTERNET SETTINGS are safer. I am asking because there is a bar at the top of this page telling me my Intranet settings are now turned off by default.

I have to agree about the gardens. My tomatoes are not the greatest this year. We look forward to them so much.

Talk to you later...
Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #7  
Fun Blonde

Well, have a new operating system. Every time they change my computer I feel so darned frustrated. Trudy and Gloria, you both are doing so well. First of all, I have to start signing in here every single time again. And I cannot get the font size big enough to see. And my printer and speakers don't work. And 'they" don't think I am a huge priority right now. Are you all playing the violin for me?

Life is very sweet here in Oklahoma. All of August has seemed like September with just a very few really hot days. We have had quite a bit of rain so instead of brown August grass, it is sort of green. Very impressive and unusual.

Just went to the doctor and had a bone scan and mammogram and have not heard the results. Guess I am a low priority there too.

Well, Maria is seeing Lexie and family and everyone seems pretty busy. And Gloria is getting skinny! Yea, Gloria.

I have been having a sad day, probably brought on by this stupid computer, but for some reason I am missing my mama today. Phooey! Seems to come on me once in awhile.

Is Labor Day a holiday in Canada? We are just meeting my sister and her husband in OKC and probably just go tot he show and eat out. Our kids all will be having the other side of their family.

I sure am tired of politics! You?
Glenda
Old 08-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #8  
Web Nana

Just a quick reply as you hit a note with me, Glenda. I may thing I am getting along real well with this new MAC but it too has such small print. I am glad I have another lesson on Tuesday so I can ask about that. I can click on view and enlarge the type on the page I am on but if I change pages it goes back to small print, Oh, well, I guess challenges are what keeps us young.

Maria: Hope you are having a lot of fun in Melbourne with your daughter, son-in-law and Saskia!

Trudy: I see you, also, have similar problems with the computer...never heard of INTRANET!

Sally: Never went away this summer but sort of let the brain take a vacation. I wouldn't say that I am skinny but I am working on it. I went to a Diabetes Lecture yesterday at the Wellness Clinic and was able to weigh in before and I have lost another #. So it is coming off slowly. The lecture was very interesting and informative and there are 3 more in the next 3 weeks. I may know what is going on with me by the end of all this. I am hoping that the #20 the Dr. wants me to lose will also help.

Suz: Your efforts in the garden seem to be going as well as can be expected with the kind of weather we all have had this year.

Ann: Happy to hear you missed the big storm but I am sure you got more than your share of water. Maybe enough for a long while!

Well need to get of the computer and out to door...last day for a sale on Swordfish and Jack would like some, me too!

Gloria
Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #9  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi all..

I got my haircut this morning and Sally was the next appointment... "Nice to see you this morning Sally".

To answer your question Glenda Monday is the Labor Day long weekend.

I love this new computer, but I have problems to iron out. I have been corresponding with Suranjan at the HP Support site.. He is trying to help me get this old HP Deskjet printer to work in both black and color ink. So far it will only print in color. I don't want to buy a new printer. The next problem will be with my Nikon camera. It won't download pictures. After that my HP Scanner will have to be delt with.

I am waiting for the repair guy to show up. My deepfreeze seems to have a problem.

My DD is working today, so we have to pick the grandchildren up and take them to a birthday party. So I have a busy day in front of me.

Have a good day everyone...
Old 08-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #10  

G'day all,

Arrived back late this afternoon with Matilda and Poppy greeting us at the airport.
I bought some bits and pieces for them which they both loved.
It is great to be home again, we had a lovely time in Melbourne. Lexie and I went to see the musical show 'Wicked', and had dinner before the show. A great night.
It is so nice and peaceful just the two of us and my own bed tonight

Monday I am back into using my Wii Fit, Gloria is setting a great example and I MUST follow suit and try and look half decent for our coming summer.

Good luck to both Gloria and Trudy, I am sure you will enjoy your new computers once you have overcome the few challenges that all new computers seem to bring
You may allready have your answer to Intranet and Internet, in case you haven't, an Intranet is used by big companies for their own network. When I worked at Telstra I had access to their Intranet but that did not allow me to go to the Internet. If you are still unclear, Google it and you will get the answer.

Slavika to bold names, simply highlight the name and click on the 'B' top left of this box.

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #11  
Member Florida Chick

Wink

I can't believe how long it has been since I posted. And it is hard to believe that September is here.
So Happy Restful Labor Day to you all.

Now the big worry has been Gustave. But for us it just meant a very rainy day on Saturday. A grey day yesterday and a bit of rain possible today. But I feel terrble for the people of the Louisiana Gulf coast to have to be going through this again after only 3 years. And now I guess Hanna is not going to be a problem for us either. Sure hope that proves to be true.

Maria- I wanted to use your clue to bold face, but have searched my page and can't find a B at all. What am I missing? Anyway, glad you are home and that you had a wonderful time with your family. I often think that one of the nice things about going away, is coming home to sleep in ones own bed. I have lost 2# with my new strategy, of making my points for the day 20. I am staying pretty much within, but if I do go over one or two, I still haven't exceeded the actual points for the day. So I am going to keep at it. I'm sure you will do well with your Wii. I enjoyed the games when we were at Holly's. She has been planning to get the exercise Wii or whatever it is called, but don't know if she has yet or not.

Suz: I'm sorry to hear that your garden hasn't been doing so well this year. I guess that weather has always been a gamble for farmers. How about the leafy vegetables, like chard and lettuce. Did they rot also, and your root veggies, like beets and carrots? We have been getting tomatoes from our farmers market here, but Florida tomatoes just don't have the same flavor as northern ones.

Trudy: I'm happy you are enjoying your new computer. You will get the swing of things soon. I expect you are speaking to someone in India, based on the name. Have you ever asked, when you are conversing. When I speak to a tech that is from India, I can't help but remember that email we had some time ago with all the wires, and the lone operator sitting out in the country. Sorry about your rash on your hands. Allergies are the pits. Right now mine are pretty good. But when they act up I take Zyrtec. It seems to work well for me.

Slavika: Nice to hear from you. The cholesterol med. that I am taking is a generic called Simvastatin 20mg. So far I have not had any problems, but of course that is a comparatively low dose. I have a friend who is taking the same med. 80 mgs. I hope your Dr. can find something that works for you. I took Red Yeast Rice for quite a while but it made my joints ache, every one of them, so I had to quit. I know that lots of people have success with it in lowering their cholesterol.

Gloria- Congratulations on your steady weight loss. It is a real accomplishment. Keep up the good work. Do they tell you at the lectures that by losing weight, you may be able to cut back on your medicine? I have heard that and wondered if it is true. Swordfish sounds good I know DH really likes it, but it is never on the menus down here, as I believe that there is some problem with conservation of the species.

Glenda: Sorry you had a bad day. I guess they hit us all now and again. Maybe we all need a good 'pity-party' now and again to make us more truly aware of what blessings we have. I too am sick of politics. It has gone on too long, and the official nominations seem almost a let down after all the hoopla that has gone on for so long. I must say that I am pleased with the choice of Gov. Palen as a running mate for John McCain. I have been listening to what she has to say, and i think that she is going to strike a chord with a lot of people.

I have taken up a new project. I have an old quilt that my grandmother made and it is a lovely applique pattern. I want to copy it and make a quilt of my own. (Have some granddaughters that will be marrying one of these days) so I have worked at making a pattern, etc. and then read of a class in applique at a local quilt shop, so went and took the class. It was a big help. She is going to help me with the amount of material I need to buy, etc. I am getting excited about starting it now. It will keep me busy, 'out of the bars and poolhalls' : and hopefully the finished product will make a nice wedding gift.

Have a good day, Everyone, and no labor on Labor Day.

Ann
Old 09-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #12  
Fun Blonde

Maria, I also have no B on the page so we must have a different set-up. Glad you are finally home. Alan's computer sounds very high-tech.

Gloria, yea for you and your weight loss. As I understand it, you could possibly quit taking your diabetes drugs if you lose weight or at least greatly reduce them.

Well, we did go to a new movie theater that is something else. They had a bar and restaurant at the top. We ate there and then went to the movie and sat in recliners. We had a button for refills of drinks and could order anything with a bill at the end. Pretty expensive too, but it was a treat.

Ann, sounds like we might be on opposite sides of the political fence, but that doesn't mean I am not sick of this year's bickering and fighting. I am so tired of the us against them theme in politics. I remember when we could disagree without such rancor against the other person's point of view. I do believe that no one is totally right anymore.

I was so happy that Gustav wasn't as bad as it could have been. We are just getting some rain from it.

Is everybody's computer acting properly now? I at least have a font I can read by now. Thank goodness!
Glenda
Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #13  
Super Surfer

Default I think I have the answer

I think Maria is talking about the b on the keyboard. You make [] around the b ... then type in the name or word and the put [/b] right behind the word....

Give it a try..

Last edited by Trudy; 09-03-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #14  

G'day all,

Nice to read all the posts and I hope the video on how to bold will be useful.
Suz and Trish email me and I will send you the video if you would want it.
As you both may have gathered, those of us in the original group, quite often exchange emails.
My email address is [email protected]

Good luck with the quilt Ann, sounds like a mammoth task to me but will be beautiful when completed.
From an outsiders point of view, I would think that Barack Obama now is a certainty to become the next US President. I have to really disagree with you Ann that McCain's vice president's nomination is a good one.
Most mothers would wonder what time she would have for her 4 month old baby and if McCain was to be your next president and god forbid, he was to die in office, I cannot imagine this woman to be capable of being in control of one of the most powerful nations on earth.
Of course you live in the States and you are closer to public opinion.

Pleased to see the weather has abated somewhat and the people in New Orleans were not hit as hard as what was initially forecast.

I am not much of a movie going person Glenda but David and Peta are and they love the 'gold class' treatment.
From what I remember you more or less have the 'gold class' treatment at home, doesn't Leon run when you press his bell

Spring has arrived and we are having some beautiful sunny days.
We are revamping our little back yard now that the camper is out of it and it is looking great.

David and Peta are off to Sydney for the weekend and we are looking after the girls tonight and then Peta's parents take over on Saturday.
I have made some play dough and we are transforming this humungas box into a cubbyhouse. Our new outdoor setting arrived in the box.
Should be fun and....tiring.

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #15  
Member Florida Chick

Just a quick Hello. we have dodged Hanna, and have only a little rain today. The big worry is going to Ike. I hope he decides to wander about and head out to sea, but probably that is too much to hope for.

My quilt project is coming nicely. I will start wotking on my first block today. I am getting excited about doing the project.

Phil is going to therapy 3x a week now to see if they can't improve his balance. I hope it works. The Dr. thought it worth a try, so wrote the prescription for it.

I joined Curves Smart program last week and it is more intense than just doing it on my own. I hope it helps in the weight dept. we'll see.

I'm sure we all have our opinions about the up-coming elections, but when it is all over, I believe that whoever the new president is will be there because it is part of God's plan.

We are off to exercise now, but when i have more time I will go more into my opinion, and why. for what it is worth.

And my set-up doesn't have a B for bold at all. At least I can't find it.

Off we go. Ann
Closed Thread