South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Default Do you judge people who eat seemingly healthy non SBD food?

Today I was at a dining place on campus and saw a girl buy a 20oz thing of OJ and a bananna (a higher GI fruit). She looked like one of those soriroity girls who would scoff at a burger. I couldn't help but think to myself, she is going to have reactive hypoglycemia soon after shes done eating and become ravenously hungry.

I also think similar things when I see people eating those specialk 90 calorie bars or those 100 calorie packs. I think to myself you think your being healthy but your eating some of the worst food possible.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #2  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Yep, when I used to eat only fruit as a snack, when I thought I was being healthy, I would later get hungry and eat something more 'substantial' (i.e., full of calories and fat).

I don't judge, though. I don't care what anyone else eats, only what I eat. My bf gets on my nerves sometimes, because he needs to eat junkfood and burgers constantly, though.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
I don't judge, though. I don't care what anyone else eats, only what I eat. My bf gets on my nerves sometimes, because he needs to eat junkfood and burgers constantly, though.
I think judge was kind of a harsh word, I also don't care what other people eat. I meant it more as laughing to your self at people who eat "healthy" food in public and have an air about themselves of "I'm so healthy, look at me," when the food they're eating really isn't that "diet friendly".
Old 08-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Not a Beacher, but I want to say...not every dietary approach works for everyone. I eat fruit as a snack by itself all the time, and that works for me. I also eat things like Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, which have refined carbs. You may not be able to or may choose not to, and you've found what works for you. But please be careful about assuming that what you have found is best for -your- body is "healthy" for everyone or anyone else.

We're all here just doing the best we can. I hate to think that eating a banana in public is going to make people laugh at me in their heads!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I guess I think not everyone's metabolism is the same, and some people may not develop hypoglycemia or health problems, especially if they generally eat healthy and are at a healthy weight. What bothers me is when people I care about eat terrible stuff and do have health/weight issues. I feel like I need to counsel them or make them read the SB book or something. My sister-in-law was recently diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and has totally changed her diet and lifestyle. She loves Dr. Gott's "no flour/no sugar" diet which I think is a lot like SB. She's lost a ton of weight and now exercises religiously. She said her diagnosis is the best thing that's happened to her, because it took that to make her change. I work with a bunch of nurses too, and they just don't seem to get it. I'd love to teach them a class or something.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Those 100 calorie packs can actually be incredibly convenient....especially with a whiny toddler in tow. A few stashed in the console of the car or in my purse can really get me through an unexpected situation.

I tend to not care if people are eating healthy in public, it is when I see people that are very obese eating really unhealthy food that I cringe. Being in the south where everything is fried, we see it often....there is a reason why the life expectancy is lower here than other parts of the country!

I have noticed that some people give disapproving looks when someone around them orders something healthy when they have something unhealthy on their plate....maybe it makes them feel guilty, not sure. A friend of mine (not so much a friend anymore) used to think that if someone ordered a salad around her when she had something unhealthy that they were just trying to poke fun at her unhealthy choice....I, very frankly, told her that people that she didn't know didn't care about her that much and to stop worrying.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
when the food they're eating really isn't that "diet friendly".
Except you're defining "diet friendly" by your own limited perspective. And yes, you ARE judging.

There is nothing unhealthy about OJ and a banana ... you have no idea how her body handles that kind of carb intake. And you have no idea where she was going with that food. I often eat a banana right before working out ... because I want the extra carbs and potassium before the gym. And I often put my post workout protein powder into a bottle of OJ - for the same reason, to restore my carb/protein levels after working out (and because I think vanilla protein powder in OJ tastes like an Orange Julius from the mall and it's kinda a post-gym treat for me).

And how do you know that someone eating a 100 cal pack or a diet bar "thinks they're being healthy". Maybe they wanted that particular food at that particular time and weren't thinking about being healthy.

You know what ... sometimes I go to Steak and Shake and get a jr sized strawberry yogurt shake. You would look at me and go "oh she *thinks* she's being all healthy getting the yogurt shake, but I know better". But you know what .. I have no pretense that I'm being "healthy" by getting my sugar rush from frozen yogurt. I do know that what I'm doing is treating myself - within my calorie limits, thanks very much. And I choose the yogurt shake over the regular shake because there are fewer calories and I can fit it into my plan.

Honestly your whole post reeks of being judgmental - everything from the "they think they're being healthy" comment to the "sorority girl who would sneer at a hamburger" comment.

Seriously. I don't mean to be ugly here, but this is exactly the type of attitude that turns people off of these types of plans - like SBD, Atkins, etc. That attitude that unless you're on MY plan, you can't possibly be healthy.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #8  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Scarlett I know what you mean.. not that you're judging.. but I too find it amazing that I feel I finally know what my triggers are and how they react to my body... I used to think.. "why am I so hungry and snacky? and not losing weight... when I am eating fruit, yogurt, low calorie granola bars, etc etc..."

So RELEIVED I've figured out what works for me... SBD may not work for everyone but it works for me.

I'm satisfied, feeling good and don't feel deprived.

Last edited by Marathon Mom; 08-27-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I really don't care what other people eat and mind my own business unless asked. I agree that a banana and OJ is fine for some people - just not for everyone.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

so, would this be the wrong time to say that I am eating a banana and drinking a glass of OJ?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I eat fruit for snacks at least twice a day and have for almost over 4 years (always berries in the morning and usually a tangelo in the afternoon if they are in season, otherwise it's a nectarine, pineapple, mango or watermelon). Big servings too! Lost 70 lbs, kept it off for over 3 years - fruit works for me!

I wonder if people just my fruit and think I'm making a foolish, unhealthy choice when I'm obviously radiantly glowing with good health?

Last edited by Glory87; 08-27-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #12  
Determined to lose!

Actually, what I find myself doing is restraining myself from saying something to folks in the grocery store about what they have in their cart... loaded with potato chips, frozen meals, breats, cookies, soda, beer... you all know what I'm talking about. Some are obese, others on their way, or blessed with metabolisms to die for! (and it will cause their death, as we know you can be skinny and have unhealthy blood chemistry.)...

I've had to learn not to peek in their carts!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
so, would this be the wrong time to say that I am eating a banana and drinking a glass of OJ?
LOL

My husband eats this all the time and has perfect lab work and is trim. It just depends on the person.

I don't think judging is the right word either. I think what you're trying to say is critiquing it in your mind. And I do it all the time and don't feel bad about it. I'm sure vegetarians feel the same way about what I eat, or someone who eats only organic foods. But everyone's body chemistry is different. What works for one may not work for another.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #14  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I'm not following the SBD, but I am following a low-carb way of eating. I don't think I judge people, thin or heavy, for eating sugary fruits, drinking juice, etc. other high-carb/sugar healthy foods. For *ME* those kinds of foods open up the binge door, even though they are healthy.

The only time I think "that person should really not be eating that healthy, yet high carb option" is when someone writes about having a severe binging problem and then says they ate, like, a banana and oatmeal for breakfast and then a low-fat fruit yogurt and then a sandwich on a wheat roll or something for lunch. But I only think "not a good idea" bc I know from personal experience that if you have a binging problem, those are exactly the kinds of foods you should try to avoid and limit, even though they are healthy.

That being said, I'm sort of envious of people who can lose or maintain weight and still eat bananas and oatmeal for breakfast with juice.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I do think that this is kind of like the reformed smokers thing ... you know, those who are actively working on eating healthy and losing weight are a lot more likely to judge those who aren't (or who they perceive aren't).

I will say that I am much more aware of what other people eat and buy, but more just in general. I really try hard not to be judgmental about it because I have no idea where anyone else is in their lives. I also know how much I'd have hated someone to see me buying ice cream or chips at my highest weight and thinking "no wonder she's fat" (although I'm sure it's happened in the past).

I think it's human nature to judge, but I also think it's good when we can catch ourselves doing so and try to rein it in.

Closed Thread