Old 08-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Default 30 Day Shred - August/September 2008 Starters

I know there is another thread going, but those folks are several months into it. So, here's one for those of us just starting in August and September.

I currently have this out from Netflix until my own copy from Amazon arrives. I'm using a couple of two pound weights I picked up at Wal-Mart. I don't use a mat because I've been doing this in a carpeted room.

I've done the whole Level 1 routine four days in a row now. I cannot do the push-ups to save my life and the "jump rope" jumps kill me, too. Otherwise, I've been happy with how well I'm doing. I hurt less today than I did after my first day, even though I went hiking this morning. (OK, so hiking included the toddler and the baby, so it wasn't vigorous!)

I've lost one pound so far, but that was after doing the routines only twice. I swear I already see a difference in my muffin top, but I haven't measured myself.

I'm truly trying to push out these last 10 pounds for my mid-September goal.
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #2  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Hi I'm not on the 30 Day Shred, but I did just get my Turbo Jam dvd and today is my 2nd day. It's a killer too! When I was thinking of 30 Day Shred I saw those push ups and was thinking OH MY!!!! lol Well I'd like to be your buddy even though we're not on the same video.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #3  

Well, sure, welcome. We're in the same boat, just different color, right?

Now that the kids are asleep I need to go do my workout. I've tried to do it when they're awake and it's just hilarious. My toddler daughter wants to do the exercises with me and can get in the way. If my infant son gets involved, it's even more hilarious. He'll try to climb up my legs if I'm standing. If I'm on the floor, he'll crawl onto my tummy and just laugh and laugh. How do you do a stomach crunch with a baby on your tummy? So, I'm going to try to always do this during their nap times or when Daddy can be on deck.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #4  

LessEveryDay: that is why I like to do my exercises in the morning. Did I say that my kid 5yrs actually puts me to sleep at night.

I just started shred using a set of dumbbels each is 2kgs. Today I missed the morning workout should be doing my 3rd session later on.

Did somebody say he hates push ups. well, you can't hate it more than I do. I also need to get me a goooood bra for those jumping jacks .....ouch.
dsamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #5  

So, now, I've done the DVD five times in five days, plus taken three walks for a total of about eight miles. And, today, the scale was UP two pounds! So, I'm back where I was a week ago. Hopefully, it's just a temporary blip. Maybe it's muscle build-up, so a long term good?

I have a lot less pain now from the workouts. And, in general, I'm making it through the workout less beat up. I've even noticed my pushups have improved, though I'd still rate myself a one or two on a scale of one to ten! I think I'll keep up with Level One for a bit yet, then maybe increase my weights on Level One before moving to Level Two. I'm using wimpy two pound weights. The side lunges seem to be a specific point of hatred with others, but I don't mind them so much. That might be because I'm using such light weights. After I graduate to heavier weights, I was thinking I'd leave the light ones by the TV for an occasional bit of toning while I'm vegging in front of the TV.

I do believe I'm seeing a difference in my muffin top which was my main reason for starting this routine, so that's good!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #6  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I was technically part of the other thread, but since I haven't been following the program, I play to restart it in September, Sept. 1 - 30 and actually follow the program through. :-)
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:48 AM   #7  

did workout 3 of level 1 yesterday and things are getting bearable. still fighting with the side lunges and the push ups.

LessEveryDay: I read on another board that it is natural to gain a few pounds with shred during the first couple of weeks b/c the body is holding to water in order to repair. However, the water weight should disappear max. by wk 4. So, hang in there.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #8  

I did the DVD for the sixth time yesterday. I made it through a lot better than I have yet and my muscles don't really hurt at all today. And, my weight was back to where it was two days ago. Thankfully, those extra two pounds went away.

I made sure yesterday to do the DVD while the kids were asleep. So, when I'm doing chest flies the cat comes by and stands under my arm, so I cannot go all the way down. She didn't stay long before she decided to jump on the nearby bed and watch me. I had just finished the very last exercise before the cooldown stretches when the cat FELL OFF the bed - right onto my EYE! So, today, I'm going to do the exercises when the kids are asleep AND I'll lock the cat in the laundry room!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 PM   #9  

Today I did the Shred for the seventh time in seven days. I made it through the entire thing without having to pause from exhaustion! And, I'm doing the exercises more properly every day. I've never ever exercised like this in my life, so I'm not used to the rules like not extending your knee over your foot. So, every time, I pick up on something new from Jillian and do the exercises more correctly. For some reason, I seem to be noticing the weight lifts more though I'm still using my wimpy two pound weights. And, for the first time, I was able to do something that started to kinda look like a pushup! So far, I've just lost the one pound, but I'm still certain there's been a difference in my muffin top.

I don't know if I intend to do the exercises every day forever, but I'm afraid to stop. I'm afraid I'll lose the habit and one day skipped will become many days skipped until I can't honestly say I'm doing it any more.

dsamy, thanks for the note about the weight. It's interesting that you note that it should be gone by week four. Doesn't the package for this thing promise you'll lose like 20 pounds in the 30 days? (I'm still waiting for my purchased copy to arrive, so I've still only seen the no frills NetFlix packaging.)
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 AM   #10  

LessEveryDay:

As for the 20 pounds and taking a day off, please note the gal who converted me to shred started wearing a size 12 pants. she did it 3x/wk the first week or so, then she used to do it 5 days/wk and take a couple of days rest. she measured herself after doing it 11 times and found she lost inches. by the end of week 6, she was wearing a size 7-8 and she only lost around 5 pounds.

please bear in mind the muscles, the body and the mind need rest in order to recover and grow and I strongly advise you not to do it 30 days straight least you would burn yourself.

right now, I can't do shred 5x/wk. I am doing it only 3x and sometimes 4. I guess I need the rest day in between. I hope that someday in the not too far future I would be able to up it to 5 but there is no rush.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #11  

I think I'll try to do Shred on weekdays and take weekends off. That's what I'm trying to do with my household chores. Maybe I'll get bored and get another DVD to alternate with. It seems like that's what some folks do.

Today, I did it for the eighth day in a row and saw a minor improvement over yesterday. My weight is holding steady.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #12  

as I said yesterday, my body AND MIND do not seem to tolerate shred every day. so, I do it one day on and one day off. However, I am having some constraints that would only allow me to workout on friday, sat., sun. and monday. Therefore, I should either start doing it 4days in a row or else do it only 2 and for the other 2 use tae bo (27 min. workout). Let's see how things would be solved.

however, if I were capable of doing it 5x/wk, I would have definitely gone for it till the 30 days mark is over.

Did I say that I finished the 4th workout yesterday still battling with the side lunges. As for the push ups, I take a looooong time to place my hands in a push up position that I start with them when they have probably made 5 push ups of course, I don't finish also with them. Life isn't easy. is it?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #13  

dsamy, how heavy are your weights? I'm still using my two pounders because that's all I have. But, today, probably after my workout, I'm going to the store and intend to pick up more. I'm scared to try five pounders, but I think it'd be silly to buy three pounders that are only one pound up from my current ones. I think the store only had two, three and five - well, and heavier.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #14  

Oh, mercy! I got those five pounds weight and just used them for the first time on my ninth workout. What a difference! For the side lunges, I was more throwing the weights up than lifting them! They were SO much harder with the heavier weights. The other weight exercises were OK with them. I did have to do the butt kicks with my arms straight down to let my arms recover from the previous move.

My weight is staying the same so far. Tomorrow will be my tenth workout, then I'm taking the weekend off from official "exercising" though I intend to be active.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:25 AM   #15  

I am using a set of dumbbells each is 2kg ( around 4.5 pounds). Yeah, I hear you on the side lunges, they kill me.

starting last wednesday, I did shred 4 times on a row and I am TIRED. in fact, yesterday, I had to split the workout on 3 parts each containing the warm up and the cool down. I know that is not an official workout but is still better than nothing.

anyhow, now, I have seven sessions under my belt. If I manage to do another 3, I will go to the dreaded level 2. btw, I haven't taken off days starting wedn. so I may take a day or two during this week.