South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #1  
aka Wendi (it's shorter!)

S/C/G: 215/203/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Gatorade? Disposable lunches?

Hi all! I'll be starting P1 later this week, and I'd like my BF to start it too, but of course, he's resistant. His main concerns are these:

1) He works outside for 5 hours a day, sweats a ton, and drinks gatorade rather than water. Would it be ok for him to have gatorade in moderate amounts in P1, since he's sweating so much?

2) he takes a sandwich as lunch everyday- stores it in a cargo pants pocket and throws away the tinfoil when he's done. He's utterly convinced that there are absolutely no options for a P1 lunch that will be as easy or convenient. Help?

Honestly, I think that he's just resistant in general, and these are just excuses, but any advice anyone could give me will be helpful.
Asynchronous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

why would you like your boyfriend to start?

does he WANT to start. you can't make him start....

also you can't even have gatorade in phase 2... sorry. full of sugar.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #3  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Maybe your BF would be better off doing calorie-counting or just working out. If he's resistant then sorry, the SBD won't be right for him! You have to want to do it, in fact you have to want to lose weight and get healthy to do any sort of diet and stick with it.

Men seem to lose weight more quickly than women. If he built some muscle he'd burn more calories naturally. Also, if he can't give up his gatorade and bread, like I said, he needs to calculate how many calories he needs to lose weight and just count his cals. I don't think SBD would be right for him. Hopefully it works for you though!
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 148/133/125

Height: 5'4"

He may not be able to follow the plan fully with you, but could try to eat better with you in general. some effort is better than none!! then he may eventually want to commit once he eases into healthy eating with you. maybe just try to begin with healthy breakfast, snacks and/or dinner?
pookynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Gatorade G2 has less sugar than regular gatorade but is still full of High Fructose Corn Syrup, which isn't healthy for anybody.

My husband and I use the following alternatives to Gatorade for electrolyte replacement.

Emergen-C and Shaklee'sPerformance (a powdered drink mix with similar benefits to Gatorade without all the bad stuff)

DH really enjoys the Performance. It's easy for me to mix up a large jug and keep in the fridge, and buying it in bulk powder form is cheaper (and better for the environment) than buying many smaller bottles.

DH also drinks pickle juice once in awhile, but the sodium is super high.

That being said, getting someone to start and stick to something like this when they are reluctant is very difficult. Do you want him to start because you want the support? My family does the diet with me (with added grains and fruits, of course) and they really enjoy it. When DH is out of the house, he is free to eat as he wishes (neither of us are big on unhealthy, fast food), but when he is in the house - he stays on plan with me because he knows how important it is to me. That doesn't mean that I haven't caught him sneaking a little Hershey kiss once in awhile, but he doesn't flaunt it in front of me or try to get me to eat them as well. I'm very appreciative of the support I've received. Most men won't even notice if you change their food a little bit, they are just happy to have someone cooking for them.

Does BF have health problems related to his weight? Sometimes people need a kick in the pants from within to jumpstart something like this, and someone nagging them to do it just pushes them further in the opposite direction.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #6  

You guys have some great suggestions. The reason I'd like him to start with me is quite simply that we live together and it'd be cheaper if we eat the same food.

And of course, if he really doesn't want to he won't. I agree that perhaps he should just eat healthy breakfast/dinner with me (the two meals we eat together) and he can do whatever, within reason, for work and school.

He does have some health problems associated with his weight, mostly asthma. Sometimes I wake up at night and he's wheezing, which I think is weight related, although I'm not sure.

All in all, I think he'll be be fine eating SB breakfast and dinner, and he can keep having his sandwiches and gatorades at work. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #7  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

DH started eating most of the same things I do, he usually eats the same dinner I do. He told me recently that he started making healthier choices at work too but he is so NOT on SB. (He even ate sugar covered nuts at the mall Saturday)

He has probably lost more weight than me.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin4Good View Post

He has probably lost more weight than me.
That *******! Mine has lost more than me in the past few weeks too, no on SB but just trying to watch what we eat a little more. And I'm running too!

But, he's got a lot more weight to lose than I do, and he has a very physical job, and he's a guy. I suppose I won't hate him for it...

EDIT: I'm jut going to leave it, but I didn't realize b@stard was that much of an expletive.

Last edited by Asynchronous; 08-25-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

My husband does not want to follow SB but always eats whatever I make and likes it. He may add more grains but he eats the same thing. I know he's healthier for it. He is very supportive of me but not overweight and just doesn't want to give up his ton of brown sugar on his oatmeal, his beer, or his ice cream.

Last edited by murphmitch; 08-25-2008 at 03:09 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #10  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

He doesn't need Gatorade or an alternative. That's just marketing nonsense. He just needs to drink a lot of water and make sure he eats some salt each day. My husband has worked outdoors in hot weather for the last 35 years and never had to drink Gatorade all the time.

If he wants to be on SBD with you, and still eat a sandwich, then he should eat whole wheat bread and start out on Phase 2.

My hubby goes along with me to a point and he's okay with eating what I cook. But he doesn't need to lose weight. He won't give up his ice cream at night. Fine with me.

If you have scented anything in the house, and use chemical cleaners, that makes asthma issues much worse.
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 148/133/125

Height: 5'4"

my bf has asthma like problems at night too, congestion and stuffyness. i have cut back on chemical cleaners and we have gotten an ionic air purifiier and it really helps. when the weather permits, the best thing is to open windows as much as possible. of course summer does not permit....especially here in Mississippi!!! i think you are on track with focusing on the meals you eat together, he can always add anything he is really missing!
pookynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #12  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Mer View Post
He doesn't need Gatorade or an alternative. That's just marketing nonsense. He just needs to drink a lot of water and make sure he eats some salt each day. My husband has worked outdoors in hot weather for the last 35 years and never had to drink Gatorade all the time.

If he wants to be on SBD with you, and still eat a sandwich, then he should eat whole wheat bread and start out on Phase 2.

My hubby goes along with me to a point and he's okay with eating what I cook. But he doesn't need to lose weight. He won't give up his ice cream at night. Fine with me.

If you have scented anything in the house, and use chemical cleaners, that makes asthma issues much worse.
I tend to disagree. While Gatorade brand might not be necessary, a drink with carbohydrates and electrolytes is very beneficial - especially to athletes. When DH and I are cycling hard (50-75 miles at 30-40 mph.), water doesn't always cut it hydration wise. My body tends to cramp if I don't replenish my electrolytes, which makes the rest of ride almost intolerable.

I'm not sure about working outdoors as I've never really had much experience with people who've worked outdoors for a living...but I've done some hardcore gardening I've been fine with water the entire time, though.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #13  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

I always worry about my DH when I am on plan, because he is very small and skinny to begin with and I don't want him to lose any weight! But it doesn't hurt him one bit to eat what I eat for dinner. It is healthy and good for him. If he wants to eat more of it, then that's fine. I would not cook separate meals unless there are extenuating circumstances (I know Zeff cooks extra starch for her DH and child, for example, which isn't a huge issue).
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote