Old 08-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #1  
Yeah.....

S/C/G: 190/ticker/135

Height: 5'1''

Thumbs down Addiction

I am addicted to sugar.... I can't seem to stop.... I need help kicking this.... sometime I think it would have been easier to be addicted to crack. at least when i got sober I wouldn't have to face it every day. I hate this so much... Its like a cycle. I crave sugar, I indulge sugar, I feel bad, I eat more sugar, i feel worse, and so on..... I don't know what to do... any idea's???
CapriPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 AM   #2  

Good Luck...I know when you in the midst of it the hardest thing to do is stop

Last edited by valareha; 03-16-2012 at 01:07 AM.
valareha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #3  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I think you might find this here article helpful.

I will say well done for spotting your cycle though. I'm pretty sure this is more a phycological problem rather than anything, and if you have the determination you can do it.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #4  
Yeah.....

Wow... That makes so much sense.
I always blame myself....
I will make a plan and see if it works....
Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #5  
Yeah.....

Thank you btw!!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 PM   #6  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

And crack isn't an ingredient in... EVERYTHING... like sugar is.

I'm a former sugar-addict too... the best way to break the habit is to avoid sugar in ALL FORMS for 2-3 days. Nothing dessert-like, nothing chocolatey, no bread, no rice, no grains of any kid, no granola, no cereal, no very sugary fruits (google that to see if you can find a list). You'll probably white-knuckle your way through those 2-3 days, but after that: Sweet liberation! I swear to God -- NO MORE SUGAR CRAVINGS. I kept this no-sugar/low carb diet up for a few weeks after my initial withdrawal weekend and NO CRAVINGS. I upped my fat intake and lowered the carbs; I feel full and great and have no desire for sugar.

I'm only just now reintroducing some whole grains, but I'm still keeping them on the low side.

Give it a try this weekend -- go cold turkey. The worst thing that will happen is you will get a headache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriPants View Post
I am addicted to sugar.... I can't seem to stop.... I need help kicking this.... sometime I think it would have been easier to be addicted to crack. at least when i got sober I wouldn't have to face it every day. I hate this so much... Its like a cycle. I crave sugar, I indulge sugar, I feel bad, I eat more sugar, i feel worse, and so on..... I don't know what to do... any idea's???
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriPants View Post
People addicted to crack DO face it every day, even when they're sober. I'm not a drug addict myself, but I've been around those who are, and comparing sugar to a lethal drug is like comparing apples and oranges.

People who do these drugs crave them. Then they indulge. They feel bad for indulging, but at the same time they feel good, so they do more drugs. And then feel worse. Just like with your sugar 'addiction', it's a vicious cycle. And I'm sure breaking a sugar habit wouldn't be as hard as breaking the habit of a intensely addictive drug.

Please don't say you think it would be easier addicted to crack. That's crazy talk.

However, I believe that sugar, like any food, CAN be an addiction and it could even eventually cause you serious health problems. If you really believe you're addicted to sugar, then maybe you should seek some help to get you over it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #8  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

The first phase of South Beach is designed to remove sugar and refined grains (white flour) from your diet and remove the cravings. The food lists in the South Beach section of 3 fat chicks show what you can eat during this phase.

It is a physical reaction, not psychological.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Yep, South Beach is awesome for cravings...

I used to be a sugar addict myself....I started South beach on May 5th, and have lost 20 lbs so far. I will add very small amounts of sugars that are called for in a recipe (like 1 T in a dressing or similar), but otherwise....no sugar in nearly 4 months.

It feels great!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #10  
Yes We Can ~Obama

The book "Potatoe's Not Prozac" explains why we become addicted to sugar and how we can break that cycle. Lots and lots of great information in that book.
InnerChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Avoiding all sugar for a few days to a few weeks (it well vary from person to person, and time to time) really does help. Then you find you can enjoy occasional small portions without craving it all the time. I think I may have gotten a little loose with my eating and need to get back to baseline again. Before the holidays hit it would nice to be back where I was a few months ago sugar-wise, a bit more in control and less craving.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

the psychology of addiction is essentially the same regardless of what you are addicted to... in some way you will always be confronted with whatever it was you have an addiction to. if you feel it's really an addiction, I would consider counseling. You can also look into overeaters anonymous, it's exactly like alcoholics anon except that the focus is on food addictions.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 168/144.8/115

Height: 4'11''

If you don't like OA, you can try Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous. I went to a meeting and although it is not for me, everyone was very nice and welcoming.
kamesennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #14  
new girl

S/C/G: 177.8/174.3/125

Height: 5'2"

ahhhhh the sugar is so hard for me too... i feel your pain!
jerzeezfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #15  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by valareha View Post
the only thong that works for me is going cold turkey
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote