Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #1  

Default Am I living in La-La land?

I have lost ALOT of weight and have thus far NOT started strength training consistantly. (Dumb I know!) I am working on it.

ok...so on to my question...I have the classic apple shape with lots of curves..where I carry most of my weight in my mid section. BUT..I have no butt. Thanks to genes. I purchased a weight machine called The Butt Blaster years ago...to the tune of $600.00. It is a very high quality piece of equipment. You basicly kneel, gripping handles in front of you..and do resistance leg air lifts. It comes with several weight disk.

Am I just dreaming that IF I use this machine consistantly....Can I actually build up my glutomous maximus?? or BUTT?

Last edited by Skinny4baby; 08-25-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

So im pretty much the same shape as you and have the same problem. Gaining muscle in your butt i suppose would make it a little bigger, but i dont think its gunna give you that big round bottom. Good luck
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #3  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I have the same apple thing going on. About 11 years ago I was super fit// and eating disordered- sorta -- and was doing the firm videos. One of the exercises involved a 2x4 under my heels and knee bends while lifting hand weights. I actually did develop a round bump back there. My boyfriend at the time commented on the cute junk in my truck-- and I was 115 pounds.

it was the first video in the series. great work out.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You can certainly build up your bum but I hate to say it, you don't need a fancy piece of equipment. I would agree that The Firm series does seem to emphasis a lot of bum work.

Overall, squats and lunges can help build your bum. You can make a difference. I wouldn't rely on any single piece of equipment though but it can give you a workout I'm sure. If you did do it, I'd look into bodyweight leg exercises as well such as lunges and squats.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I used to get teased about backing into a fan when I was in high school. But I have to agree with Nelie, squats and lunges do wonders for the booty. You won't get the Beyonce butt, but you can build up enough to fill out your jeans.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #6  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

OMG, I so have the opposite problem. If it were possible I'd give you a direct butt trasfer and you could have some on my bootay.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Step ups work.
Also, hamstring bridges.
It depends on how your muscles respond to the exercise whether they will get bigger or not (and how much effort you exert). They will most definately get firmer---if you are consistent and keep it up. Once you stop doing the exercises, the firmness is quickly lost. That's my experience at least. You should pick something that you enjoy and can stick with for a lifetime.

Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #8  
Just Me

Oh I totally forgot about step ups and bridges as well. I'd also say climb stairs as often as possible
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

The butt blaster will help. My gym has one and my personal trainer definitely thinks it's a worthwhile machine to use. He doesn't have me use it every workout, but we use it occasionally. I think it can be a worthwhile part of your butt workout.

But I agree with Nelie and others that you also want to be doing squats and lunges; those types of exercise are definitely my trainer's #1 choice for toning and increasing my lower body strength, including improving the shape of my butt. He has me do squats or lunges or both during just about every workout (I never imagined how many different variations there are of both). Even if we're doing upper body, he probably still sneaks in a few squats or lunges. He also has me do a fair amount of step ups (and lots and lots of jumping--longs jumps are his favorite, we do those almost every workout). We used to do a lot of bridge stuff, but not so much anymore.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

I don't know anything about the Butt Blaster, but I will say that doing the same thing over and over and over again for a long period of time will eventually cause your body to get into a rut. At that point you not only won't see any progress, you might slide back a little.

I wouldn't say *don't* use the machine you've got, but I would say don't rely on it exclusively. As others have suggested, mix in lunges, squats, stepups, stair climbing, etc. ... anything to keep the muscles guessing.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #11  

Thanks for the great suggestions ladies! I also thought that lunges and squats would TONE your butt well...but I actually NEED to BUILD some muscle, I was NOT gifted at all in that area. My machine goes up to 70 lbs.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Heheheh ... don't get me started on "tone".

There's really no such thing as tone: you're either building muscle or you're not. Once you get to the stage that bodyweight squats and lunges are easy, then you start adding weight - either a bar or dumbells or whatever.

But if you haven't done squats and lunges before (or if it's been a while), start with bodyweight. I think you'll be veryveryvery surprised at what a difference it makes - and how much you'll feel it the next day.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 08-25-2008 at 10:04 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #13  

Oy. I have so much to learn. Got to start somewhere...might as well be the tush...or "the lack thereoff?".....hehehehehe
Old 08-25-2008, 10:38 PM   #14  
Just Me

There are tons of exercises you can do and obviously body weight can do a lot more than 70 lbs can. There are also tons of versions of squats and lunges so that you can always mix it up.