Old 08-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Question When did you know it was "time"?

I've struggled with weight my entire life, and never had any success at all, but this time is different, there's no going back this time. I guess my question is, how did you know it was time, did you have a mini breakdown, or did you just wake up one morning and tell youself "you can and will do this?".
For me, It was June 2008, I was sitting in my bestfriend's car in my driveway, having a coffee with her, and I just started crying out of the blue, and basically said "I can't do this anymore, I'm tired of being fat". And from that day on, I've been pretty good to myself. I guess that was my breakdown.....
I'd love to hear how others decided to change their life for the better.

Last edited by luvja; 08-23-2008 at 11:09 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

I literally fell down the stairs. I hurt my coccyx (tailbone) very badly and was in a lot of pain. At the time I thought my weight didn't cause the fall, but now I think I am in much better shape and would be much less likely to fall.

Anyway, I was in agony, lying on my tummy (the most "comfortable" position), wondering if that kind of immobility was what was in store for me.

In and of itself, that wasn't enough to set me firmly down the path, but it was a big factor in getting me to try again.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

When I avoided seeing anyone but my family and closest friends. I just never felt I looked good in anything. I would get so frustrated that I felt like tearing my hair out! I felt older than I had ever felt. After four and a half months, I feel younger than I have in about ten years. I will never let myself feel like that again; a year and a half of it was enough for a lifetime.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #4  

Thanks for sharing ladies!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

For me the turning point was my sons wedding on 12-31-07. My ankle swelled from being on my feet for 2 days straight. I felt so fat and miserable walking down the isle and while dancing our dance with my son. I know everyone kept telling me how beautiful i looked but i felt so fat!! I decided that when my daughters marry I want to be thin and healthy and in good shape. I want to feel confident walking down the isle.IT took me another 26 days to actually get started dieting and exercising. I am almost halfway to my goal and already feel so much better!! THIs is for life ..not a temporary thing like so many other diets I have been on.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

For me it was going to the doctor and being told to hop on the scales. I had no idea what I really weighed; I was in complete denial. When I saw 346, I was shocked! I had avoided going to the doctor for 11+ years because I didn't want to know what I weighed, but I felt so sick I had to go. When I got to the car after my appointment I cried. I remember wanting to go through the drive through and get something to eat, to soothe myself, but I went through Wendy's drive through and got fresh fruit instead - the first good thing I did for myself that day. It took a few weeks for me to decide what I was going to do, but I decided that whatever it took, I was going to lose weight and start living again. Thank God I didn't back down from that.

I look back on that day - August 13, 2005 - with such mixed emotions. It was truly a day of rebirth for me.

I saw that doctor again about 3 months ago. Other than my gynecologist I don't really "have" a doctor, and I've only seen him a couple of times. But it was such a wonderful feeling when he looked at my chart and saw the weight loss. He asked me how I did it, and was surprised when I told him that it all started in his office. He told me I should "write a book or something to tell others how to do it". LOL, I hate writing and besides, I didn't do anything extraordinary to lose it. Like I told him, I did the things doctors are always telling us to do.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #7  

Wow jtammy! How did you lose all that weight? Very inspiring.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 273/273/220

Height: 5'5

for me it was initaily my health but even that wasnt enough. i think its the way my *** feels sitting in seats i have a for a long time. ive notice changes in how i sit while driving. and i just cant keep ingnoring these things.
bumblybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvja View Post
Wow jtammy! How did you lose all that weight? Very inspiring.
Truly nothing extraordinary. Counting calories, low sugar, only complex carbs and I began with small amounts of exercise. And of course, the support here at 3FC has been priceless.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #10  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

for me it was being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and realizing how much I regretted my weight (was always obsese but passed into morbid obesity after the diagnosis).

I swore to myself that if I ever had a decent remission I would exercise and eat right... then I saw a walk in clinic doctor who didnt handle me with kid's gloves and told me point blank to do something about my weight.

The ironic thing is.. losing a large chunk of weight has really helped manage my MS symptoms and I havent had a flare up since LAST YEAR (they had been every 3 months). I'm trying to keep the same sense of urgency that I had when I started.

The support here really has made all the difference. Check back and often!
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 273/273/220

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpal23 View Post
The ironic thing is.. losing a large chunk of weight has really helped manage my MS symptoms and I havent had a flare up since LAST YEAR (they had been every 3 months). I'm trying to keep the same sense of urgency that I had when I started.

The support here really has made all the difference. Check back and often!
that is great!
bumblybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

The success stories on here never cease to amaze me!!
Valpal_ thanks so much for sharing your story. Just what we all need on a monday morning to get us started on a great week!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #13  

incredible!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #14  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I've always been kinda chubby, not fat but not thin either, ya know? Anyway last year I began to slowly gain weight and as it happened I became more & more of a social hermit. It got to the point where I was to ashamed to leave the house & I remember going to my Gradnpas house and he gasped and said ' You're piling on the weight aren't you?' and if the ground could have swallowed me, it would.

Thats when I thought I cant just complain, I have to DO something. I've a feeling every now and then when I just know I'll lose the weight, because I know its within my reach and that I can do it, I simply refuse to stop until I hit that goal
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpal23 View Post

Val, that is AWESOME!