Old 08-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Sabotaging myself

I'm in trouble. I've been doing really well, and in fact after my very active vacation the weight loss really accelerated...down 9 pounds in three weeks.

Suddenly, while I am not binging, I am overeating. Three rolls at dinner. Dessert that I used to pass up easily. A glass of wine. Eating more than I am hungry for. Skipping dessert.

I have increased my exercise a little, but I'm finding it hard to stick to my plan. (Which is mindful eating...three rolls don't fit in, skipping breakfast doesn't fit in, overeating doesn't fit in.) This past week has been an unusual amount of during the week special occasion eating (several goodbye luncheons at work, and three dinners out for various things.)

I'm terrified that this is the beginning of a slow return back to the way it used to be. In some ways it would be less scary if I had a real down and dirty binge that I could just loathe and move beyond.

My only "success" of the week was at a potluck, where I decided my plan was that I could have anything I wanted on my plate...but couldn't return for seconds. I didn't overload my plate, and though I wanted to, I didn't return and I was able to pass on dessert. (And make sure the brownies didn't come home with me.)

I need some help getting back on track.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #2  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

When I start noticing "extra" things creeping back into my eating, the first thing I check is if I've been having a solid breakfast with enough protein. I find that when I do, the rest of the day is easier to manage, food-wise. The second thing I check is whether I'm getting enough protein at other meals. And then I check for sugars and refined flours, and try to cut back on them. They tend to make me mouth-hungry even when I'm not belly-hungry.

Kudos to you for being able to pinpoint the "justas" in your recent food... "justa dessert", "justanother roll", "justan extra helping". If I don't write it all down, those justas creep up on me and before I know it I'm back to square one.

You're doing the right thing in identifying them. Now to bring them back under control.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

When I start getting off track, I tell myslef that "every little bit DOES count", and I also don;t let myslef think "I'll just go off plan today, adn get back on track tomorrow (or Monday, etc)". Every little bit doe count, adn starting right now is always better than later.
tigerchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #4  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I spent the entire last week eating more than I needed. The biggest thing was that I had cut back veggies and was eating more convenience food -- making me hungrier in general. I could have written your post just a few days ago pandora - give yourself a fighting shot at staying on plan. eat breakfast every day. You know what to do.

Last edited by valpal23; 08-22-2008 at 12:40 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #5  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

S/C/G: 300/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Good for you for catching it now. I lost 50 pounds over 2 years doing mindful eating, but then lost my mind and gained back 34 pounds over the next two ears! lol

9 pounds in 3 weeks is very fast, though. It makes me think maybe you were a little too restrictive and your body is fighting back. I would give my body more proteins and complex carbs than just more calories.
delitaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations on taking steps to control your eating, You have proved that you can do it,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #7  
carinna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora123a View Post
My only "success" of the week was at a potluck, where I decided my plan was that I could have anything I wanted on my plate...but couldn't return for seconds. I didn't overload my plate, and though I wanted to, I didn't return and I was able to pass on dessert.
Try to focus on the positives instead of the negatives. And keep that at the top of your mind. Reward yourself a little for doing so good at the potluck. I find that when I feel good about something GOOD I've done, I'm more likely to continue on that path. When I get bogged down by something I did bad, it can start a downward spiral.

Best of luck to you.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

I think you need to give yourself credit for recognizing what's happening! Take some time and think about why you're feeling less motivated or why you're over-eating. Then think about how good you felt when you were doing well. Set some goals or remind yourself of the ones you've already set. I have mine posted right by my bed so I see them all the time!

You can do this!!
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #9  
Tammy73

S/C/G: 254/215/145

Height: 5'6"

Pandora, you've done really well so far. You had a hard week and you have
recongnized where you have strayed. Don't beat yourself up about it and
don't even let your mind entertain the thought that you may be slipping into
old behaviours. Practice telling yourself how much you want this and that you can do it and that you are worth getting right back on track.
Sometimes it's our thinking and our negative self talk that defeats us more
than anything. YOU CAN DO THIS!
Tammy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

We all fall off sometimes but like everyone else has already said it is good you have taken notice of it. NOT ONLY THAT... BUT you are wanting to do something about it! I have to admit I did have my first slip up yesterday I had mexican food. You want to know what I am doing today??? I am replacing two of my meals with protein shakes! I guess that is what you need to do get back on track and make yourself eat right. You can do it, I know you can. Look how strong you have been already.
Mommysince21505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #11  

Default A new week

Well, after some ups and downs, I ended the week with two pounds regained...(after a mid-week high of three but only Monday's "official" weight counts) but back on track. I've looked over the week...and the month before it, and have some perspective.

The first 10 days of August I took a [U]very[U] active vacation...hiking in Yellowstone and the Tetons. I ate very well, pretty much as at home, but so increased my activity that I lost nine pounds...a very unrealistic weight loss.

Last week was a big eating out week, all special occasions. My long time office manager retired from work, there were three separate goodbuy parties, I hosted all of them! (Two were luncheons.) DH and I took out my nephew to say goodbye as he left for college, and some friends in honor of their engagement. I made a few bad choices (mostly too many rolls at lunch and dinner) but otherwise not to bad...just too much celebrating.

I'm back on track, the scale is starting to decline and I always knew this would be a loooooong sloooooow path for me.

Thank you all for your support! I have lost weight so many times just to regain, that I thought this might be the beginning of the end. Your comments really helped me put things in perspective.

Next week I hope to (re)lose those last two nasty regained pounds. I always figure that "new" weight is the easiest to slip off!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Pandora - it's so good that you have realization that you've been overeating. We can't make changes about things we don't know about. (or even admit to)

I am glad for your update. I know you'll be back into your routine and those couple of pounds will come off.

You CAN do this!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #13  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Glad to hear you are back on track!

Movement to excess on either side (really active or totally off plan) can really throw you off for a bit. Getting back to even keel will happen, and you have really done a good job recognizing the issues!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Pandora,

I am glad you are doing better now. It's tough and it is a long road. So easy to slip back into old habits. I have had a terrible summer, myself, so let's just kick those old habits to the curb and get rid of all the regained weight. Maybe we can BOTH catch a new low in September!!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #15  

This morning the scale finally showed the last of the regained pounds gone...of course they are "officially" with me until Monday. I am determined that on Monday they will be forever removed from my ticker...and my body!

Lyn, we can do this! Here's to new lows in September!