South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #1  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Default salad dressings

Could everyone please help me with salad dressings... whats your favorite... I don't really care to make my own, however that would be an option. Would love to have some strawberry or raspberry vinegarette ideas too! with feta and nuts- ooh that sounds delish~!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Ken's Lite Northern Italian is really good, as are Wishbone salad Spritzers. I think Wish Bone as a Rasberry Vinagrette one.....
Shawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

When DH is around, he's always got a batch of vinaigrette mixed up, so we use that a lot. When he's away, I know how to make it, but am too lazy, so I love to use Trader Joe's Goddess dressing. I also picked up some of their reduced fat Cilantro dressing, but haven't tried it yet. I've heard it's good. I'll get ranch for the kids, which is also SB legal, and Bleu cheese for me sometimes.
Nessa wrote that she mixes Greek yogurt with salsa for dressing, which sounds really yummy and I want to try sometime.

I'm not sure those spritzers are SB legal, I think they are mostly sugar water with flavorings. You'd have to check the ingredients, and be careful of any reduced fat dressings because they tend to add extra sugar to replace the fat. I've noticed particularly the raspberry vinaigrettes tend to be very sweet. Not sure about that brand though.
I'm not crazy about those sprays anyway, if I am going to have salad dressing, I want a nice thick, rich one. As long as it is healthy monounsaturated fats, and within your fat allowance for the day, it's okay!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 08-21-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawski View Post
Ken's Lite Northern Italian is really good, as are Wishbone salad Spritzers. I think Wish Bone as a Rasberry Vinagrette one.....

the salad spritzers have HFCS and are NOT South beach compliant.

any dressing that is under 3g of sugar per serving and has between 11-16g of good fat should be fine...

for me greek yogurt mixed with salsa tends to be one of my favs... or trader joes Goddess Dressing...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like you guys can have sour cream. I love thick dressings. I just get a small cup of sour cream and throw in a packet of the ranch seasoning that is meant for sour cream, not mayo. You have to make sure you get the right one. That's the only way I will eat ranch.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #6  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Annie's Organic Buttermilk Dressing is very good. Many of Annie's dressings are good. I buy them at Whole Foods.
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspank View Post
Sounds like you guys can have sour cream. I love thick dressings. I just get a small cup of sour cream and throw in a packet of the ranch seasoning that is meant for sour cream, not mayo. You have to make sure you get the right one. That's the only way I will eat ranch.
we can have 2 tblespoons RF sour cream. use greek yogurt instead.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I like italian seasoning dried minced onion salt pepper and either cottage cheese or greek yogurt
sometime sI toss in some parmesan or feta
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #9  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

I like Ken's Light Creamy Caesar Dressing...
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

Exclamation suggestions

There is a brand called Maple Grove Farms of Vermont that I can find here in NY at the X-mas Tree store very cheap. They have it sugar free and less than one g of carb. How great is that???
The one I am using now is Bacon Vinaigrette and has 90 cal/2 Tbsp and is delicious!!!
The other one is Balsamic Vinaigrette and has 0 cal. It isn’t as good as the bacon one though. But works if you are at the very low calorie diet.
Now I have a trick I use sometimes. I use Soy Sauce as salad dressing with some lime and it is delicious. I got one bottle of the Hannaford product and has only 10 cal/1Tbsp.
So I try vary as much as I can so I don’t get sick of my salad...
Hope it helps
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #11  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I'm a big fan of the Newman's line of lf and rf dressings, Most meet the guidelines thought the sesame ginger is 4 g of sugar
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #12  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I like Nessa's idea for salad dressing and have been using that lately.
I use lf sour cream or ff greek yogurt and a tomatillo salsa, about twice as much salsa as sour cream/yogurt and then I added garlic mustard, but just a bit. Delicious!
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #13  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

TJ's cilantro dressing is yummy and it makes a nice marinade for chicken breast.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #14  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

I'm simple; I use hidden valley ranch, 2 tablespoons. When I found out we were allowed to have hidden valley ranch, I was ecstatic. I thought I was doomed to a life of salads with vinegary dressings. I am not overly fond of vinegary dressings, I like creamy dressings. So that's what I use, ranch.

Oh, I've heard of those 'goddess' dressings before, and have been curious, but never tried them. There is one at walmart, don't remember the brand, called 'green goddess dressing'... It looks interesting.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #15  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I love the green goddess dressing- and if its legal you should try it. I think most people who like ranch would like it! Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I was unaware of the sugar and fat gram rules- great to know!!!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote