Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #1  
Mel

Default Lift and Chat: August 16 - 31, 2008

Wow, summer really is winding down. DS just returned last night from his summer job as a camp counselor complete with a summer's load of mud, and dd and the bf leave today for a week and a half in New England before heading back to their respective new lives as fledgling attorneys. I have a feeling I'm not going to see her as much or for as long for a few years

I jogged outside yesterday and have a creaky back and hips to prove it. Not sure if it's old age or old shoes or both. Lifting was a goof off of balance exercises and a few arm exercises. It wasn't a scheduled workout, but dd and bf wanted to go to the gym. I worked on "bows and toes" on two stability balls and STILL can't do it. I can do shins on one ball and elbows on the other, but I just can't get on my toes. Very frustrating! even so, it's a darned good ab and strength exercise. Think Super Plank!

Cheryl, I'd definitely go one leg at a time for your hamstrings. There are a few useful machines in most gyms and I think in your case a standing ham curl or a prone ham curl done one leg a a time would be good. If you don't have access, another idea that used to cause my clients to curse me is a one legged bridge dip. Lie on your back with one leg up on a step (5-8 inches). Scoot your butt down as close to the step a possible so that your knee is bent. go up into a prone bridge and lift the other leg straight, at about a 45% angle to the floor. Now dip up and down on the bent knee. The is a great hamstring workout but can cause some people to cramp. STOP if you cramp.

Breakfast is ready- gotta go!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/238/180

Height: tall enough to know what's on top of your refrigerator

OK - what's the calorie burn of jumping up and down in total joy for Michael Phelps for 2 weeks? GO MICHAEL, you ROCK, we are SO HAPPY for you!!!

Denver is rainy and thundery today. It's a nice change from the ghastly heat we've had this summer. PhotoChick, are you here for the DNC? Let me know if you want to find a healthy place for lunch - we've got lots!

So my gym has a whole bunch of new pieces this week - Hoist Roc-It Plate loaded machines. Very mysterious leg press machine where the whole thing moves and the plates rest behind your shoulders. I had to ask the front desk staff for a demo on this thing. It was much like a carnival ride, and I was taking too much stress into my shoulders, so I switched back to the regular incline leg press. Good workout, though!

I've decided that I need a training session. I want to go through all the machines and learn them correctly. It's been years. I tried to do lunges but wow it's hard to keep my balance. I am fatter than I think!

So 12 weeks is up. I am down 12 pounds and a measly 3 inches. Boo. I know I can do better. My nutrition was NOT GOOD over the last 6 weeks. know why - there were some life stressors that were out of my control, and I dealt with it by stuffing food in my face. Now I know that I must deal with stress by keeping my eating under control.

However, I have made strength gains, and my clothes do fit better. It is worth it, even though my dieting was not good. So this next challenge, back on the horse, and eating on track - NO MATTER WHAT!

Last edited by denvertechchick; 08-16-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: edit gym info
denvertechchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

denvertechchick - 12lb in 12 weeks is nothing to complain about - that's great! congrats!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Denverchick,
congrats on your 12 lb loss in 12 weeks - nice and steday, that's perfect! Don't worry about the 3", soon it will be more.
I wish I had measured my thighs in February when I started this weight loss adventure. I have a pair of jeans that I downsized to (an old pair, bought approx. 4 yrs ago) and I still wear them, but it is unbelievable how loose in the thighs they have become. Fortunately, when I signed up at the gym at the end of April, I got measured so I will ask them to remeasure me at my retest on August 27th. I must have lost like 2" in the thighs (that is, each).
At home, I measured only boobs-waist-hips.

I had a good workout today. Half an hour core class (a new instructor as our usual ones are at some fitness convention in Toronto - I had a class with this instructor once before and she is great. Barely 5 feet but she is one fierce lady. :-) I like having a new instructor every once in a while because he/she will come with different exercises and different routines). Then I spent an hour doing weights and machines. The 110 lbs assistance on the Gravitron is getting easier (I started at 140 lbs so I think it's a progress) - that means I am lifting somewhere around 37% of my own weight. Chin ups are easier than dips but I usually manage about 20 dips (with my eyes rolling and my face grimacing. I am not producing audio effects though like some of the guys). :-)

Last edited by Tomato; 08-16-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #5  
Mel

Denver- 12 lbs in 12 weeks with muscle building is great! I think your mysterious let press machine sound like a hack squat machine. I always get "squat hickeys" on my shoulders when I use it Between those and the "chafing handcuff" look when I use straps for heavy deadlifts, my dh sometimes questions what I really do at the gym

Hi, LG! How are you feeling?

Tomato- YAY for progress!

I'm been yanking weeds and transplanting plants all day and am hot and itchy. Legs later this afternoon.

Mel
Old 08-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #6  
No description available.

Hey Denver, congrats on the 12 pounds!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #7  

Aw, shucks, you guys, you are the best. I have been inspired by Mel, Meg, Mrs. Jim, and so many others here. Thank you for sharing your stories and wisdom.

I really do need to be hard on myself for the nutrition portion of things, though. I truly need to do a better job. And I don't get nearly enough protein. I just don't like meat. I struggle to get 90 grams of protein, and if I'm supposed to be eating 1 gram per pound - well, that's 240 grams! Yikes! How to get that when I gain weight if I eat more than 2200 calories per day? It's not easy, and I need to do a better job at this.

Fitday now has body measurements! Moods, too, but as I'm perpetually grumpy that isn't a big deal for me.

Tomato, I wish, wish, wish we had a Gravitron. As it is I'm on the assisted lift with plates. Last time I checked, I could do 127 pounds 3x. Someday I'll do a unassisted lift. Someday. My goal is to have Linda Hamilton arms. I will get there.

Mel, that machine is a combo leg press machine. It does have a hack squat quality to it, but your body is more horizontal. It's a weird feeling and I have to say I'm not a fan of shoulder pressure. I know I should just be walking away from the machines and doing squats instead! That is a goal of mine, too.

The guys at the gym recognize me now. They say hello when I'm walking to and from the gym. It's nice to know that I'm there enough for them to recognize me! The pattern of success!

Cheryl, if you want a great hamstring workout, come on over and help me pull some weeds! Whenever I weed the garden, my hams hurt for days after.

Lifeguard, how is Costa Rica treating you?

Hope everyone has a <insert hans & frans voice here> HUUUUUGE </voice> weekend!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #8  
Mel

It's "back to basics" Monday here for me. The weekend was an emotional food disaster and my Saturday workout didn't. Lot's of yard work, but it's just not the same.

I have another "little black dress" challenge for the next two weeks. Eating totally clean and getting EVERY workout should undo the weekend. Yeesh- that's sad!

Cardio done,food packed....

Mel
Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #9  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Denver, are you using a protein powder? That's a lot of protein without adding a lot of cals. You can add it to foods you are already eating, or make a shake from it that you can drink. I think that's the only way anybody gets the added protein without going over their calories for the day. WTG on the 12 lbs! I'd kill for 12 lbs in twelve weeks!

Mel, you're just evil, that's what you are. Just kidding. Thanks for the info on ham exercises. Today is cardio for me, but I think while I'm there, I will check out the leg machine selection. I've never actually looked at any of them up close, so I'm not sure what options I have. Good luck with your LBD challenge!

Tomato, that is awesome progress on the chins! I find dips easier than chins or pull-ups, but I still can't do one unassisted....yet!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #10  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

While we're on the subject of protein, anyone want to share what they do with their protein powder, besides mixing it in a drink or a smoothie, of course.

I've heard lots of references of people talking about mixing it in different foods but I need specifics. In what and how much? I need to buy some protein powder and I think I'll go with a vanilla flavour this time, hopefully leaving me with more options than the chocolate.

Any tips would be appreciated....thanks!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #11  
Mel

Elissa- I used to bake with it, mix a scoop into oatmeal, or mix a scoop with a little water and peanut butter into a paste to eat on either an apple or a rice cake. Until I couldn't control the peanut butter ratio....
Old 08-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #12  
No description available.

I mix mine into oatmeal like Mel. In fact, I need to go buy some more vanilla protein powder for just that reason!

My workouts with my trainer are definately getting harder and harder. Yesterday I felt like I needed 2 protein shakes after---one for my legs and one for my arms, cause both body parts were making themselves heard very acutely.

Also, am I weird that I love my calluses?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #13  

Hey midwife, how is your bike treating you? I took the day off - I have errands and appointments, but after that, I'm going cruising!

Mel, good luck on the dress challenge! I know you'll do it!

Ah, protein powder. I will have to experiment. I finally found a way to eat cottage cheese. I mixed it with a little plain fat free yogurt (Greek yogurt is best if you can find it) and a little fat free sour cream, then added garlic salt, onion powder and cayenne. Makes a great vegetable dip!

The scale is up today, but the tape measure is holding steady and even a little smaller, so I'm chalking it up to TOM.

You are right, Cheryl - I have to do some kind of supplement or I'm never going to get there. I struggle just to get 100 grams of protein in. How people get over 200g is a mystery. Well, I'll just have to get myself back down to 1nderland.

Hope you all have a great day!

Last edited by denvertechchick; 08-19-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: removed PP brand names that were blocked anyway
Old 08-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #14  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I definitely need my protein shake (with milk!) to get in my protein but I'm pretty sure Mel does just fine without it.

For me, maybe if I were at home during the day,that would help since I could make an egg white omlette etc. but I struggle for enough protein at the best of times. I have to force myself to have, what is for me, large amounts of protein at every meal to even come close. I think this just comes from years of "low fat" eating. My tendency is for high carb meals if I don't really try.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #15  
Mel

High carb just makes me feel awful- I'm not home at all during the day either, but pack everything. mid-morning snack is a gladware container of yogurt and cottage cheese (1/2 a cup of each), lunch is some sort of protein (chicken breast, turkey, turkey chili, fish, over a large salad with a couple of spoonsful of brown rice or chick peas, mid afternoon snack is a fruit with 2 low fat cheese stick or a shake or a *gasp* protein bar. Dinner is always some sort of lean protein with a huge salad, and another green vegie. I make an additional carb for the guys.

Denver- I really don't think you need to get into the 200's for grams of protein! My motto has always been to eat for the body that you want. I would think that 140-150 would be PLENTY!

Cardio done, shoulders at lunch time. I found a new way to do standing ham curls at my gym which is lacking in hamstring equipment. Where there's a will, there's a way! But I'm hurtin' this morning

Have a good one!