Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #1  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

Default Online Calorie Counters....

Have read many mentions about FitDay and The Daily Plate as far as keeping track of calories etc.

Any feedback from those sites would be wonderful. Not sure which to chose. Are there more out there???

I've never counted calories and thought it would be fun to do so.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

gail
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I've used fitday for a few years now...it works great for me. Once you get your favorite stuff in there as custom foods it's quite convenient. They als just upgraded everything...so there's even more nifty reports. I can log in from work or home...and best of all? It's FREE.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #3  

A word to the wise tho - ignore how many calories it says you burn. In my case, it's wishful thinking.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #4  

Maybe - but I have myself set at sedentary (I'm actually pretty active)...and it says I can maintain at 1416 - 1495 calories a day. Hmmm...maybe they fixed it? It used to be a lot higher than that.

Anyhoo - I've gotten myself in a lot of trouble in the past thinking I can eat more because I worked out. Mostly because I do stupid stuff like go to a buffet.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

I like the daily plate more personally....because the database of food is large and easy to find my items.

(when I looked at fit day a year or so ago, it's database of food was much smaller).
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #6  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

bunny
Good for you wanting to count calories. I think it is the most natural way to watch what we eat. Won't take you any time at all and you will be an old hand at it. Doesn't take that long to measure or weight what we eat and after awhile we don't really even think about it we just do it. I have one rule about what I put into my mouth. If I don't know the calories, carbs and fat in it. I DON'T EAT IT. I happen to like fit day but that is a personal choice. I don't use any of the foods they have on their lists. I put my own foods in and the amounts off the packages. I even have a food called " Meat loaf ", I make meat loaf exactly the same way each time. I added up all the ingredients and then popped it all into my fit day. I don't really like the way the new fit day looks compared to the old fit day but it works for me.

I don't worry about how many calories it says I burn. Working out and eating are two different things. I don't workout so I can eat and I don't eat so I can workout lol, I do make sure I have carbs before a workout and protein after a workout. I eat the required amounts of the four basic food groups and stay within some basic ranges of calories, fat and carbs. I workout to tone the body.

Fit day does have some nice features like a weight tracking tool and a place to put your measurements so you can see the difference each time you put new measurements in. I happen to like the measurement feature.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I used to use DietPower, which was great (but not free).
Since I swapped to a mac, I don't have DP any more but have been using fitday, the upgraded version is really good.
Some of the reports confuse me - like noting I'd lost 7lbs in 2 weeks (it's my first 2 weeks, I know, I know) but then saying my average weightloss was 0.17lbs a week. Aside from that, the food log is great, and gives grams and ounces, great for us Brits that don't really do cups.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #8  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

Thank you so very much for your suggestions! I appreciate it and will take a look at all the sites listed.

gail
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #9  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I used fitday for a long time, but switched to calorie-count.com. The food database is larger and there's a great recipe analyzer. I also like that it assigns a letter grade for each food, and also for the day.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #10  
Tink is on The Beach

S/C/G: 240/see signature/150

Height: 5'7

I just started using thedailyplate which I love! I had to use FitDay back in high school for a project and I didnt think it had a big selection. I personally like thedailyplate better.
TinkFreak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/183/160

Height: 5' 8"

I use SparkPeople's food tracker and really like it.
InkyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #12  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I have both FitDay and TheDailyPlate.

TheDailyPlate has more available foods, etc. but I like the simplicity of the way FitDay is laid out. So I'm actually using both right now.

And like someone else mentioned, I don't even consider the "calories burned" because I think that's bogus.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

I use daily plate and I love it, its easy to use and more pleasing to the eye then fitday.
scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote