South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #1  
Determined to lose!

Default Does Clutter make my butt look fatter?

OK<, no I haven't read the book, not even boughten it... But I've read the blurp on 3fc...

Since my son moved out and I was able to move the big desk into his room which is now my office, or "jade's" room, my house has been staying clean. NOT that my desk is messy, but rather it looked like clutter in the living room and from there it was like wild fire, bills pilled on the counter, which resulted to spices staying on counter, which resulted to dishes being done less frequently.

Well, now that desk is in office, bills get put away as they come in the door, spices get put back as I use them and dishes get done after eating. Cleaning house takes 10 mins a day!

Since this has happened, my energy level is up, my exercise is happening, and my eating habits, I'm not eating from stress or boredom!!!!!!!!!

So, I think there's some truth to cluttered home equaling a cluttered mind and body!!!!!!!!!!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

So, I think there's some truth to cluttered home equaling a cluttered mind and body!!!!!!!!!!

No wonder - my situation/problem has been solved. Thank you

Last edited by GONNABE165; 08-14-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #3  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

I find that when the home is clean and the kitchen is uncluttered, it is that much easier to get into the kitchen and prepare healthy meals. If the kitchen is a mess, it's much easier to just grab something fast. So I'm not sure about the rest of the house but for me, when the kitchen isn't cluttered, I'm better about eating healthy.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I definitely agree...when my house is clean and clutter free, I am so much more willing to do what I need to do to be healthy. When my house is cluttery.....I don't have the mental edge that I usually do and am more prone to mild depression....

My husband is the same way.

Since discovering this, we both work together to make sure that our biggest source of clutter - DS' room - is picked up every hour or so and that the toys that he brings out of his room return back into his room at those hour intervals.

The kitchen/dining room is always a hot spot for me as well....it seems like everything just gets dumped onto the kitchen counter/dining room table....which makes it more difficult to get my mind in the right place to get those places clean. Like Melanie, when the kitchen/dining room is cluttery, I am prone to just calling it quits and going out for dinner. I've adopted Flylady's advice and devote 15 minutes twice a day in those places (and other hot spots - bathroom counters, dresser tops) to clutter removal.

In addition to getting the exercise and good food that is essential to my (and my family's health), my marriage is also better when our house is less cluttered....and that makes for a much more pleasant life overall.

Last edited by zeffryn; 08-14-2008 at 12:00 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #5  
Determined to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONNABE165 View Post

No wonder - my situation/problem has been solved. Thank you
LOL, not sure but sounds like sarcasm? LOL

Don't we wish it were that easy? wave a wand and all problems solved?

Mel, I agree, cluttered kitchen = take out or fix fast easy junk!!!! (good thing Joe's no longer living home and I don't keep it in the house!)
---------------------------MERGE----------------------------------------------
zeff, as I was reading and seen "hot spot" my mind went' "ah ha! a flybaby"! Then, you even mention flylady! hahahaha, how funny!

I stopped subscribbing to her emails cause it took more time to delete the junk! But I do remember often what she's said. NO, I don't wear shoes in my house, nor do I do a 15 min room rescue. It's just me and I pick up as I go!!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #6  

Don't worry about reading the book...I read it and my butt is still big!!

I agree...less clutter and my life seems more in order. Now if I could just get these 3 sons of mine out of the house my clutter problem would be so much easier to deal with. It just seems like I can't get anything cleaned and in order while everyone is in and out of the house or sitting around watching t.v., on the computer or playing a game system.

I am slowly but surely de-cluttering. Instead of putting those extras in a box with the 'good intention' of having a yard sale, I just box it all up and take it to the charity drop off. It's out of the way and out of my life!!!
Icandoit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #7  

Height: 5'11

I totally agree! I am sort of a clean freak, germ hater type. If things start getting out of control I do too. I find a peace within myself when our home is a comfy, cozy, clean little nest.... lol
AutumnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #8  
Determined to lose!

Ican... I'm big on giving things away.. recently discovered how easy! I dont even have to leave home, and some of it I can get money without having yard sale! CRAIGSLIST!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #9  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Loriann it was definet sarcasm - we've been doing construction around our house for a while now so it's just one big clutter
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #10  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Oh how I understand construction. My house is such a mess, and it has me crazy.... I was going to get the book as I seen him on Oprah. I need a clean and tidy house and then I am in my zen.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #11  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post

The kitchen/dining room is always a hot spot for me as well....it seems like everything just gets dumped onto the kitchen counter/dining room table....which makes it more difficult to get my mind in the right place to get those places clean.
That's exactly what happens, crap just gets dumped onto the counters and dining room table. Our kitchen table is never used because we have so much junk and clutter (most of it BF does not want to get rid of) and it just looks horribly, I have cleaned it off and decorated it with a few simple candles and figurines and it looked great, but then of course a few days later it went back to ****.

Another hot spot is the computer desk, and the tv stand. We do not use the living room TV at all and I have photo frames of our son and Bf's daughter and little knicknacks and I often straighten it up, but it seems BF will come home and dump everything and anything on it. There is CD's everywhere, empty cigarette packs cluttering it, tons of burnt DVD paper sleeves and the computer desk is cluttered with paper, more CD's, and just everything... and I do take some responsibility but 90% of it IS Bf's fault. And I love that flylady site and have been implementing some of their plans but BF does not abide by these rules nor does he care about the website.... urrrrgh. I can't keep anything straight in here. He just leaves stuff from one end to the other, I can pick stuff up several times a day, but no matter, he will have it cluttered again within the hour, including every inch of the couches!

So I agree with the original post you guys, Clutter does make one's @ss look bigger, I feel like lazy crap when the house is cluttered and don't want to do anything, plus it makes me feel frustrated and angry with the BF.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #12  
Determined to lose!

I say dump bf! :LOL: (JUST KIDDING HERE!)
Old 08-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #13  

I've got the book but haven't read it yet. I always enjoyed Peter Walsh on Cleansweep. I really liked that show. I have always lived in a cluttered environment but seeing other people in the same mess was inspiring. It took me a long time to get going clearing some of my clutter.

The second bedroom was an absolute dumping ground I couldn't cross the floor to get to the other side. The cats lived somewhere in here but I'm darned if I know where. It has taken months. I chose an area and started working. I have so many craft supplies that just separating things into piles of similar items took forever. I had to give up a lot of stuff. Bags and bags of usable articles went to charity. I couldn't believe how much was actually garbage. You can now walk across the room but don't try to sit on the daybed because it's still got lots of stuff.

I didn't completely concentrate on the one room or I would have gone mad. You can actually open closets without things falling out. The kitchen was the worst because if you are a hoarder you have a ton of food past the best-buy date. The one room done is my bedroom which is much nicer and more open than it ever was.

Just thinking of this makes me want to eat cookies, it's that stressful to do it. I'm going to get it done yet.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote