Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #1  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default emotional eating- I had no idea

I really never felt like I was an emotional eater. I have been doing South Beach for over 3 weeks now and, as today is a particularly emotional day with all of my friends seemingly MIA (so no phone support) I just keep thinking I would really like a bowl of ice cream. - I am not even the least bit hungry though.

I think I may just go back to bed.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Aw I'm sorry you're feeling so low Sometimes going back to bed or just having a good cry can help. Just remember it's okay to feel and to cry, you dont need ice cream to smother those feelings.

Last edited by Spoz; 08-14-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #3  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Thank you. I was able to take a nap (DD co-operated and took one herself) and I feel a little better now.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/181.5/150

Height: 5'0''

Ice cream never did it for me.. I always enjoyed going out to the deli and getting a sub and a dr. pepper when i was feeling particularly low.
Crazy Cat Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 299/240/170

Hello All
I stumbled upon this thread and it is speaking to me right now. I have often wondered what the real reasons are for emotional eating. Is it learned? I struggle with this majorly. I come from a long line of overweight/obese women. My mother always "medicated" us with food. She knew no difference herself. I have been doing well on my personal journey this time around, however; it seems when stress arises (majorly lately) I just want a pizza and my bed. How do we break the cycle? I know that the answer is to turn to the Lord. He is the only One that can "fill" us. Sometimes it just seems like I want to be destructive towards myself. I think this is the depression coming through.
ROMANS828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/183/160

Height: 5' 8"

Glad you were able to get a nap and feel a bit better. There's an acronym that you may find helpful... HALT - It stands for Hungry-Angry-Lonely-Tired. It's used in recovery groups, but I find it helpful in weight loss too. If you want to eat something, and it's not a normal mealtime situation, ask yourself if you have other needs that may need to be met. If you are angry/upset/sad/tired etc., then deal with that rather than 'stuff' the bad or tired feeling with food. A big glass of water and a nap can frequently change your outlook.
InkyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #7  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

yer, hits hard when u do find out ur an emotional eater....
i had the cruelty of people making my life emotional so i would eat....
now, its a completely different story....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/221/150

Height: 5' 5"

I tend to find myself eating in stressful situations. Chocolate is usually the first thing I reach for. Try keeping chewing gum on hand, cinnamon if you can handle the taste. It seems to be working for me.

Good luck!
WindyCityG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #9  
carinna

For me it's not so much that I eat when I'm emotional, it's more WHAT I eat when I'm emotional or stressed. I tend not to think much about what's healthy for me, but more what is easy to eat and right at hand. This is exactly why I try not to have bad snacks in my house. No way I'm going for the carrot sticks when there's a bag of potato chips sitting next to me.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #10  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Emotional eating is my pitfall as well. I never really thought about it too much (but that was prior to be joining 3FC). 3FC really opened my eyes in this sense. Now I know I really have to watch it because my immediate reaction would be to eat (probably at McD's) when I am very happy, when I am feeling very low, etc.
I used to that a lot in the past but somehow I never saw the pattern.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote