Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up Bowflex Revolution

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post and see if anyone else here has a Revolution? I got a treadmill a couple of years ago and feel I've been responsible with the purchase. So, I took the plunge and got the Revolution.

It's a little tricky learning to use it, and I'm really glad I didn't have to put it together. I'm such a *girl* when it comes to these things. *grin* But, I really like it. I've been using it off and on for about 6 weeks and feel that I'm really getting a workout. I can see definite changes.

I'm willing to answer any questions I can if you have them.

Cheers!

Beth
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #2  
Mel

I looked at them when they first came out and thought they looked like a good home gym alternative. My only issue is that it seems to require you to do most exercises seated. Is that true or is it more versatile?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #3  

Hi Mel,

I think the machine is pretty versatile. At the moment, I think about 60% of what I'm doing is seated. But, I'm sure there are many standing exercises I'll do before it's over with. I admit that, at first, it was a bit intimidating to do the changes on the machine that each exercise requires. Probably another reason I'm not doing more standing. I chose my first set of exercises so that I could change the machine as little as possible. I'm getting better at this now.

One of my favourite exercises on the machine is rowing, which is supposed to be for cardio and I'm sure it is. But, my arms and back muscle get a workout when I do that also.

Also, it might be good to add that I am also using the treadmill, free weights and regular exercises in addition to the Bowflex. One of the reasons we got it is because our whole family uses it. I have a 13 year old son who can now use it on his own, or while I'm on the treadmill.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it and just wanted to share my experience.

Beth
Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Beth,

I was thinking a lot about getting a home gym myself, in the past. But then I joined my gym which I really like, and now I am not sure if I should get a home gym. Well, it is something to think about - it is a long term decision, so there is no rush. Do you mind if I ask you how much it ran you down?
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I have a bowflex, but not the revolution one. Mine is old LOL! I really like it a lot. There are some exercises on that I love to do that I can't with free weights , like the lower back extension, rows, resisted punches and pullovers. I mix both free weights and the bowflex.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #6  

Hi Tomato,

I've had two gym memberships at different times and I enjoyed them both. I learned a lot by seeing others and learning *how* to exercise. The problem for me was always making myself go. I was okay once I got there, but I wasn't very good at getting myself out the door.

As I said, I was reluctant about the treadmill, a purchase I made more than 2 years ago. I was afraid I'd make the investment and then not use it. But, I did use it. I do use it. So, I was a little more confident about the Bowflex. I really, really love being able to work out when I want to do so. I don't have to drive. I don't have to worry what I look like. *grin* And, it's as close as my basement.

If I recall, the Bowflex Revolution was around $3,000. Since our family (3 of us) will be using it, it seemed worth the investment. I also did a little more research and know that they go quickly on Ebay, because warranties transfer. *grin* Soooooo.... if we didn't use it..... And, we did get some extras. (The really cool dumbells, which I'm learning to use, too!) They were running a special deal at the time and I got free financing for a year. No interest will accrue. I'll just make sure to pay if off before next June.

I honestly don't work for Bowflex and hope I'm not saying anything wrong here. But, I have to say the customer service has been completely wonderful. We were missing a part. We called. It was overnighted to us. I ordered DVD trainer software. It really wasn't working for me, so I called and they offered me a free year's membership in their online forum, which IS working for me.

Anyway... for me... for my life... I'm really loving the product. *smile*
Old 08-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #7  

Hi Lori,

Same here. I'm using the Bowflex and learning to use the dumbells. It's funny that the two times I worked with a personal trainer at the gym, they taught me to do mostly machines and very little with free weights. I think that might be why I felt more comfortable with the Bowflex. I'm finding that I'm having to work a little harder to incorporate the free weights. But, this is also the first time in my life I've realized that this is really for *life*.. not just until I lose a few pounds. *smile*
Old 01-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 8"

i'm so excited! my boyfriend HAS a bowflex revolution just sitting out at his parents basement. we moved into a little place and he didn't think we had room. and we have gym membership but we have a very difficult time getting there regularly. Sooo, the other day he mentioned he could take out a bookshelf and if we rearrange a little we could make the bowflex fit and have room for a NEW Treadmill! So we are going to cancel our gym memberships to help pay for the Treadmill and now I will have access to his Revolution!!!! YAY! I'm super excited for it, for one I love strength training but hate dragging myself to the gym. Once I'm there I'm good I can workout for 2 hours and feel awesome but it's the getting there that's the problem for me too. And for two I can't wait to use the 'rowing' machine on it you can't beat the benefits of its Cardio & Muscle toning option in one!

I can't wait to see the results! How's yours been going Beth? Any tips? I think I'll try and make a routine that doesn't require me to change the stuff up much in the beginning until I get used to and learn all the millions of exercises it can do.
Sun_Flower2 is offline   Reply With Quote