Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Angry Why? Why? Why? did this have to happen????

I'm SO upset right now! Today, I injured my right foot. I'm in lots of pain and I am worried that the more I walk on it, the worse it could get. About 2 years ago, I had a major fracture all the way across my foot on the right side and it took over a year to get better. Well, I've been working out a lot and I guess things got worse, plus, there's a new pain at the top right. I am very upset because I use exercise as a major part of my weight loss and sanity, so without it, it will be SO much harder. I really wish this didn't happen and I just want to get down on the floor and have a tantrum about it!!! Thanks for letting me vent.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #2  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Aw! I hope its nothing major again!!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! So sorry! But you need to see your doctor right away. This could get a lot worse otherwise. Don't try to walk on it and tough it out--you NEED your feet to be OK! If you've re-broken something, you need to find that out ASAP.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #4  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

I feel for you- bad luck!! Ice it on and off every 20 min. Worst case scenario maybe you will still be able to do an activity where you don't put pressure on the top of your foot ie stationary/recombant bike use your heels instead of the balls of your feet. Or yoga (easy for me to recommend LOL)- you are so close to your goal I am sure it will either be okay or you will find another way to exercise!
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #5  
k8t
k8t

I am sooooo sorry that happened to you. Please see a doctor about it to make sure there is nothing seriously wrong with it.

In the meantime, is there any place you can go swimming while you wait for your foot to feel stop hurting? I know my local health club will sell day passes to use their pool if you don't have a membership.
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

It totally when stuff like this happens! It's hard enough to lose weight and maintain our weight loss without fate throwing injuries at us. But lifechange is right--you are so close to your goal and you've shown such strength and discipline to get this far; you'll get through this somehow. It's just going to take some adjusting.

First go see your doctor, as Jayell suggests. I think I'd do that before icing it or anything else (other than take some Ibuprofen, stay off it, and keep it elevated), since you don't know what the pain is and it sounds like it could be more than just a soft tissue injury. While you are with your doctor, pin him/her down on what exercise you can do--swimming? bicycle? Does your gym have a rowing machine or one of those arm thingies (it's like a bicycle for your arms). Or maybe upper body strength training? There is a woman who has been coming into my gym lately with a walking cast on her foot and entire lower leg; if she can find a way to exercise in that thing, maybe you'll be able to find some exercise you can do as well. But see your doctor before doing anything of these things.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

I wish you luck! I would be so disheartened if I couldn't workout, but just remember, it's only temporary, and the faster you let it heal properly, the faster you'll be back to normal. I'm sure the fact that you're an active person also might help ya with a speedy recovery!!!
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm wishing you speedy recovery -- hopefully it won't be as serious as it seems right now.

And I second the advice about swimming if that turns out to be an option for you!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #9  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Thank you all so much for your support and great advice. Luckily, I have one of those Frankenstein boots that I'm wearing right now. I will see if I can see a doctor tomorrow, since I was in major denial about it when they were still open! LOL! I will probably have to just swim for a while, since that's what I was told I could do before, but I'll wait until they xray the thing before I do anything. In the meantime, I will have to duct-tape my mouth!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 AM   #10  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

u cud still exercise the top of ur body for cardio....
punches with weights or something?....
hope your foot returns to normality fairly quickly....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

Hi! I know the feeling. A couple of months ago I fell down and scraped up my hand pretty bad. Annoying, but I could still exercise (and I had just begun getting into a regular exercising routine). SIX days later, I was about to go walking on a track over my lunch hour when I slipped of a curb I didn't realize I was standing on. I think I said out loud "Son of a b****!" at first because I fell not even a week before that incident, then because I realized that my ankle was in a lot of pain and I knew I did something bad to it.

All I can say is just wait to see a doctor, and don't beat yourself up about it anymore. It's over, and now you have to focus on recovery. I know how good it can feel to exercise when you're trying to lose weight, and I know how hard it is (for me) to avoid overeating unless I'm exercising. But that's the best you can do while recovering. Rest up so you'll heal faster, and work your way back up to exercising as hard as you have been slowly. Maybe use the time to read up on new exercise options!

I hope you feel better soon!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i saw this... and wanted to tell you my story:

in may 2001 i broke my ankle
the repair caused part of the bone/cartilidge to die.

i have to be non-impact or I get pain. I spend about 1/3 of my life in the CAM boot (the frankenstein boot)

saw the doctor today. there is a surgery to fix this but it might not work

so i swim
i bike
i do wii fit when the ankle permits.

i saw the doctor today.... he told me the only way to keep it pain free is to stay as non-impact as possible.

i feel your pain.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am somewhat in the same situation as Nessa. I broke my shoulder a year and a half ago, which has left my with limited use of my arm. I can't raise my arm or reach forward. My surgeon tells me I can have surgery but it may not work. I don't think I want to go thru surgery that may not work......soooo I do what I can,I can walk and do a lot of that. Other than that I count calories and try to not be a couch potato.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/199/150

Height: 5'2"

So frustrating! I hope it's not as bad as you're thinking it could be. Fast healing thoughts coming your way!

I was told last week no walking/running due to a bone spur on the top of my foot. It's hard to be sidelined when you're on an exercise roll!
Magz is offline   Reply With Quote