Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 275/see ticker/ GW 175

Height: 5'6

Default Exercises for lower back pain

Can anyone out there recommend exercises for lower back pain? Right now I have major back pain, but I want to exercise. What can I do without hurting it further? I am right now on back pain meds, as well as ice/heating and lots of water and rest.

These are the two things I need to do:
A) something to strengthen my back
B) other exercises without hurting my back further.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ginger
kissingginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

im no expert, but i have an old hip injury that means the muscles in that side of my hip dont support it very well. Because of this i was advised by my physio to do cycling to strengthen my lower back muscles. Maybe that would help you too?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #3  

Thanks! I wish I had access to a bike - I've got a treadmill and some weights and I can do some floor work? Does anyone know if I should be doing AB workouts with a sore back, or should I wait?

I also need to know what exercises I can do without hurting myself?
Anyone?
Thanks, Ginger
Old 08-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

If your back hurts so much that you have to take pain meds and lie on an ice pack, then you shouldn't be trying any ab exercises yet. It can be dangerous to try to exercise under those conditions because one doesn't know what exercises might make things worse.

I'd say, see a chiropractor or an M.D.--they can give you a list of exercises that should be safe for you to do while your back gets better, and may actually help prevent the problem.

I hope you feel better soon!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm giving you a mental hug ** <<<>>>** as a back pain sufferer I feel your pain my dear!

If you're ACTIVELY feeling the pain right now - either consult a doctor first or don't do any exercises, you'll only aggravate it. All I was allowed to do was a short walk, and when you're in bed, bring your knees to your chest and wrap your arms around them, and gently rock forward and back a bit - it helps stretch out the lower back to get the day started!

Once my pain subsided (by the way a big exercise ball is amazing!!! you can lay on it and stretch gently to pull that back muscle..heaven!!) my doctor recommended dropping weight (wow did that help a LOT!!!) and then exercises that strengthen your core

but again, wait til you're fully healed up please??? pleeaaaaaaseeeeeeeee!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yes, please check with your doctor to see if and when you should do some exercises and which ones to do. I think it would all depend on the cause of the pain.

Back pain is awful. Please try to take care of it and I hope you feel better soon!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #7  
Choco lovin couch potato

S/C/G: 207/ticker/145

Height: 5'5

When you get the ok from your doctor...and please dO!!! My mother was constantly told to walk more it will help..until she had a crap load of tests done and found out every one yes I said every one of her discs was deteriorating. Then she was told that would have been very bad for her( she was never overweight btw)...so please check with your Dr. Anyhoo sorry about the rant...when you get the ok you should be doing alot of core exercises. Alot of people with bad backs simply have weak ab muscles. Your core is what holds you up my dear. Something that kicks your *** without alot or any real impact is pilates....it also lengthens your muscles and makes you look longer and leaner.

Take care of yourself hun...we are only given one body!!!
halfbakedtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone - I have decided to take the time to heal and wait until this clears up before moving forward. So for now I am concentrating hard on what I put in mouth. I have a very weak core and I know it - lugging an extra 100lbs is not helping.

Thanks!
Ginger
Old 08-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/240/140

Height: 5'2"

Lower back exercises

1. Lie on your stomach with your hands extended in front of your head. Lift your right leg and left arm at the same time. Switch leg/arm repeat. Do 10 reps each leg
2. Lie on your stomach and lift your knees and feet and flutter kick (as if you were swimming freestyle) Do 3-4 reps.

This is actually part of my workout routine. The author of my book is real keen on exercising your lower back and stretching it.
PenChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #10  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

I have had 2 surgeries on my lower back and my dr told me the best thing I can do is walk. start out little like 1/2 mile and do that for a week and then increase it 1/2 mile a week.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I agree with PenChick, those are the exercises I've gotten from a physiotherapist for a sore back, it helps to strengthen your back a lot! Also, I was told by a trainer a long time ago that when you focus too much on abs, and not on your back it can create an imbalance causing more pain. I'd definitely add those exercises into your routine!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

Once you feel better, the most important thing to do is stretches every day, that can really prevent "pulling" it again. Whenever I don't do them for awhile invariably I will do something and then the back seizes up.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #13  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenChick View Post
Lower back exercises

1. Lie on your stomach with your hands extended in front of your head. Lift your right leg and left arm at the same time. Switch leg/arm repeat. Do 10 reps each leg
2. Lie on your stomach and lift your knees and feet and flutter kick (as if you were swimming freestyle) Do 3-4 reps.

This is actually part of my workout routine. The author of my book is real keen on exercising your lower back and stretching it.
I agree I had back surgery (partial laminectomy L4-L5) for a ruptured disc. I did physical therapy THREE TIMES and every day they had me doing the exercises above AND also

*on your hands and knees, knees below hips, hands below shoulders-- raise your right arm paralell with the floor straight out in front of you (keep looking at the floor so you don't strain your neck) and then switch to your left arm. then do the same with your legs extending them one at a time all the way back paralell with the floor. Once you build up enough strength to do this start doing your right arm and left leg at the same time. and then switch to left arm and right leg...

*If you have a sturdy enough table or counter top-- hip level-- lay on it until your hip bones are resting on the edge of it. lay your top half of your body down on the table(face down) with your toes touching the floor(use a towel under your hips if it's a hard surface so it's not uncomfortable). Raise one leg at a time, keeping it straight pulling your heel towards the ceiling and repeat this with both legs alternating from left to right.

*if you have a resistance band put it around something that will not move or close it in a door about ankle level. Put your foot in it, face the door far enough away to hold the band straight(no drooping in the band) and pull with your heel backwards a few inches holding your leg straight.

there are tons of exercises you can do...*google lower back exercises) these are a few that I still do today that I was taught in Physical therapy. BUT make sure it is cleared with your doctor first!! You definitely don't want to hurt it any more or cause a bigger problem. I also did crunches to strengthen my core-- knees bent, small of your back flat on the floor, lifting your shoulders up just far enough to get your shoulder blades off the floor. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the inversion table!! or zero gravity table!! It does WONDERS! I shrunk from 5'9" to 5'7 3/4" after my surgery and with the use of the inversion table, with dr.'s ok, i'm' back to 5'9" again!!

Good luck and my heart goes out to you as a fellow back pain sufferer, actually chronic back pain sufferer, over 2 years now) I feel for you and pray you feel better soon!!

Last edited by net knee; 08-12-2008 at 11:44 PM.
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 AM   #14  

Wow! Thanks for all the info. I'm off the back muscle relaxers now and I've eased into a bit a walking which surprisingly is bringing about better mobility. I'll definitely be trying these exercises as soon as I think I'm ready.

Thanks!!
Ginger
Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #15  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I have a spinal injury from a car accident back in 95'. I went through tons of therapy and all..........but yes do consult a dr, chiropractor or someone, because you do need to heal before you exercise. In the beginning of my therapy they only would put heating pads on me and I would fall asleep every single time (I would have these appointments after I got done working all day) Then they gradually added stuff, like stationary bike, leg lifts, ab crunches, oh and there is a good one where you act like you are sitting down while leaning your back against a wall and holding it, that is a really good one for abs and back strengthening. There are I know lots more, but those are the ones that I can think of, but yes do consult a dr or someone first.
Oh yeah and my mil got a bean to workout on and she is disabled and able to do it. So maybe look into that once the dr oks exercise. Just google "The Bean".

Last edited by Sassy_Chick; 08-13-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote