Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/173/140

Height: 5'9

Question i am going crazy.

so here is my deal.

2004- 110lbs ate whatever i wanted. didnt matter
2005- 150lbs. my metabolism slowed right down. felt lots of pressure form my mom to loose the weight but this only caused me to gain more.
2006- 170lbs.
2007- dont know how but made it to 155lbs but this wasnt good enough, so i went and gained again?
by april 2008- i was 200lbs and extremely sad.
when i came home from university my mom had a freak attack at my weight (shes a heath freak) and i started eating healthy again and i am now 179lbs, the problem is i have been stuck here for over a month. i have tried pills and teas and im just sick of trying with no success. i work two jobs so i am always moving around and i try to go on 20 minutes walks 2-3 times a day. i like to think i am a healthy eater but it seems it doesnt matter i stay where i am. i started doing laps in the pool for 1 hour a day and i friggin GAINED 2 pounds. WTF! and if i mess up once with my eating, like one little cheat, i will gain. i have a non existent metabolism. i feel stuck and i dont know what to do,

any suggestions?
fleming13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #2  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Start measuring spots on your body like your waist, thighs, hips, arms, etc. It might be that you are adding on lean muscle mass and hence why the scale isn't dropping right now. It will, but you might plateau for a bit scale wise. I'd really start taping so you don't feel defeated. Good luck!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey fleming13!

We can try to make some suggestions--but you'll need to tell us more. What weight loss program are you following?

Can you post a typical day's menu? Include everything you actually ate, not your plan.

Also, what does "one little cheat" mean?

Cheers!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #4  

i follow weight watcher and allow myself 22 points each day.

on a regular day i would eat

high fiber cereal 3/4 cup with 1/4 cup milk

small piece of fruit and a yogurt

whole wheat weight watchers bagel and a few slices of cheese

chicken burger and veggie salad with low cal dressing

and 1/2 cup frozen yogurt

but a small cheat i mean maybe having one 2-bite brownie, but that only happens maybe once a week.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #5  

Are you eating enough? Looking at your menu I can't make it add up to more than 17 points max... and that's assuming things like non fat-free yogurt. I could be wrong, of course, since I don't know the brands you are using. An integral part of the WW program is to eat all of your base target points, every day. I'm also concerned about the points level you have assigned yourself. Even if you are living a totally sedentary life you should at least be getting 24 a day as per the program, with 35 on top of that to spend throughout the week.

A lot of people trick themselves into believing that in order to lose weight they must restrict, restrict, restrict. Your body needs fuel to run efficiently, and if it doesn't feel it is getting enough if will be more reluctant to let go of the extra pounds. It might sound counter-intuitive but try adding a number of points to your days for a week and see what the scale says at the end. You might be surprised, and if it doesn't do anything, well, it was just a week and you can move on to the next potential solution!

Good luck, and if you have any WW-related questions don't hesitate to join us down in the WW forum here at 3FC.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Allowing yourself 22 points a day...Does this mean you continue to take the quiz as you lose weight & adjust your points as necessary or that you just like the sound of 22 points and so that's what you're eating? I know that I'm the same height... and that at 179 (if things are the same) I'll be eating 24 points, and I have a sedentary job. Are you using your Weekly Points as well?

I do not see nearly enough fruits or vegetables within your daily plan. Especially since most vegetables are zero points, there's no excuse not to eat a few carrots or snap peas as part of your lunch. Or to sneak a few in with your snacks.

If you want that brownie each week... that's not cheating. As long as you're counting it towards your daily/weekly points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming13 View Post
i follow weight watcher and allow myself 22 points each day.

on a regular day i would eat

high fiber cereal 3/4 cup with 1/4 cup milk

small piece of fruit and a yogurt

whole wheat weight watchers bagel and a few slices of cheese

chicken burger and veggie salad with low cal dressing

and 1/2 cup frozen yogurt

but a small cheat i mean maybe having one 2-bite brownie, but that only happens maybe once a week.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I agree with the others...per my checking, you should be eating 24 Points per day MINIMUM, as your daily Target Points. This is bare minimum! You should also use some of your 35 weekly Flex Points as well...some people use them a little each day (5 per day) and others save them for a dinner out, or on the weekends.

Your daily Target Points are the minimum that you should be consuming for your height.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #8  

thanks for the advice,,,,i really didnt know much about weight watcher except how to check how many points something is...i never knew you had weekly points. my mom just always told me i should stick to 22 points a day. so thank you for enlightening.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #9  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

I don't know squat about W.W.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think you should maybe ask your Mum to politely back off. I'm sure she's concerned for your well being but, having her on your back like that probably doesn't feel very nice from where you stand. Lose the weight because you want to, not because your Mum wants you to. I'd understand her pressuring you if you were morbidly obese but, your not! Your 5'9 for goodness so your current weight isn't too shabby at all.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by bananapancakes; 08-12-2008 at 02:11 PM.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #10  

lol. trust me i agree my mom does need to back off , she knows that too, but it seems to be a never ending fight between us. ive accepted the fact she will always be on my back about it.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming13 View Post
thanks for the advice,,,,i really didnt know much about weight watcher except how to check how many points something is...i never knew you had weekly points. my mom just always told me i should stick to 22 points a day. so thank you for enlightening.
I know your mother probably means very well. Afterall, it does sound like she just wants you to be healthy.

But undereating is not only unhealthy, but can slow your progress.

Just sticking to our daily points is only a part of the program. It's the part that gets the most attention, but it is only part.

I'm not sure where she figured you should be eating 22 points. Perhaps this was an older chart or something. Either way, it's best that, if you'd like to continue following WW, I really suggest going to at least one meeting to get the most up-to-date materials and learn the healthy eating guidelines. (And perhaps to give the meetings a chance, as the group really does help.)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #12  
No description available.

Welcome to 3FC! I agree with the others. I don't think you are eating enough. I would be pulling my arm out of my socket and gnawing at it if that was all I ate in a 24 hr period. We have a lot of threads on 3FC where people post their daily nutrition and I think it will give you some good ideas. I don't know a lot about WW, but I do know that you need to eat enough on any plan, or your body goes into survival mode---danger!! Must cling to calories!!

Calorie counting is another way to evaluate and moderate intake. There are various websites that you can enter your foods on and then play with your calorie levels to see what works for you.

It sounds like you are active during the day--that is good! I am glad you are adding swimming as well. How about weight training?

Also, the scale can do weird things. If you eat two bites of a brownie and the scale jumps up, that is not a fat gain. You could be retaining water. Our bodies do weird things with weight, and I am certain that 2 bites of brownie or swimming will NOT cause a fat gain. If you choose to use the scale to track your progress, weigh at the same time and under the same conditions each time. I can weigh 5 pounds more in the evening than in the morning....I did not gain 5 pounds of fat in one day though!

Stick around! You have stumbled on a gold mine of information and support. I know you will be able to meet your goals (and, yes, they must be YOUR goals, not your mom's).

Good luck!

Last edited by midwife; 08-12-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #13  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

I can certainly simpithize with you and your weight gain/loss/gain/loss
2004 130 ate whatever I wanted
2005 started medication for blood pressure 150
2006 180
2007 droped to 150
2008 back to 173
I have gained and lost the same 20/30 pounds so many times now I am about to slit my wrists

I don't know anything about weight watcher either but I do know from experience that you must eat enough calories and balance with exercise.

This round I am taking a more sensible approach and researching different diets and finding one I can make a lifetime change with. Not just a quick drop in pounds.

And with that being said I added my 2 cents LOL
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote