South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #1  

Default Not eating enough

x

Last edited by kshe78; 01-22-2009 at 09:45 AM.
kshe78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:48 AM   #2  
Determined to lose!

Are you on p1 or p2?

Actually the last week I have been eating way too little. Yesterday all I ate was at 10 am, a breakfast cup filled with bacon, onion, mushroom, green pepper and egg with seasoning, and a glass of v8. I had a handful of nuts for snack I think around one. Three I had a salad with chicken breast, chick peas, cheese, mushrooms and a glass of milk. later I had a nsa fudgesicle and later a string cheese.

I started taking multivitamins for women (Michaels), and iron pills. I haven't been eating as much since then.

Last night around 6 I weighed at 184, it's 2:45 am and I just weighed in at 177. This is the first time in years I've been under 178. I reach 178 and yo yo back up to about 190! Frustrating. But I think I am tooled to stay on plan now, even with little "cheats" like the corn Sunday, and sweet potato casserole. Tooled, meaning knowledge!

So to answer your question, Yes, I'm eating way less than I should.
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Actually I wasn't going to ask what phase you were on, but if you were on SB?
I don't know about that soup, even if you didn't eat the noodles - does that mean you just drank the broth? Cause I don't remember there being much else in there, maybe a couple of pieces of dark chicken meat. You'd do better to make yourself a cup of broth. What are the ingredients?
And did you eat the bun with the sandwich or did you throw that away?
You should be getting your veggies in (4.5 cups), even if you have to force it a bit at this point. It will get easier.
Are you getting any dairy or beans in a normal day?

As to the appetite supression, I think this is a common phase on SBD. After the first time I did Ph1, my appetite was very low. I got worried about my calorie intake and started tracking it on Fitday. I had a goal to keep it between 1500 - 1800 calories, and if I was below 1200, I made myself eat a snack, whether I wanted it or not. Your appetite will come back eventually. But until then you don't want to let your calories get too low. I estimate your calories for yesterday at about 850. That's just your basic starvation diet. Overeating veggies and healthy food is probably NOT what got you overweight.
And by the way, when I was going through that phase of not wanting to eat, I also quit losing even though my calories were low.

Maybe scramble your eggs with some veggies, add some veggies to your chicken for dinner and have a yogurt or ricotta snack in the evening.

That's just my opinion, for what it's worth. I assume you wanted some comment on the food, but if not, disregard!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #4  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

When I do Phase 1 I'm never hungry and don't eat enough, so I guess it's common, at least for P1
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #5  

Quote:
Actually I wasn't going to ask what phase you were on, but if you were on SB?
I don't know about that soup, even if you didn't eat the noodles - does that mean you just drank the broth? Cause I don't remember there being much else in there, maybe a couple of pieces of dark chicken meat. You'd do better to make yourself a cup of broth. What are the ingredients?
And did you eat the bun with the sandwich or did you throw that away?
Yes, I'm on SB. I have been for about 6 weeks, so I'm on P2, not P1.

As for the soup, I ate the broth, celery, carrots, and a few chunks of chicken. Was it ideal? no. Was it high in sodium? Yes. I had it in my drawer, and couldn't leave work to go get something. I had just returned from a trip Sunday night, so I had not been to the store, so it is what it was.

I ate 1/2 the bun. It's supposedly "whole grain," although they don't list the actual ingredients for me to know if whole wheat is the first ingredient. It has 4 grams of fiber, and 6 of sugar in a whole bun, and I ate the smaller half.

I don't eat beans - I've TRIED to like them, but I can't. It's a texture issue, not a taste issue. I was pointed to the roasted chickpeas recipe, I just haven't had a chance to pick them up and try it, although I plan to. I just can't handle foods that are "mushy."

Dairy - Yes, I normally get in at least a 1/2 c. of skim milk. I don't love it, but I try. I can't eat yogurt for the same reason - texture.

I normally track my calories on SparkPeople, so I know when I'm eating too many, and not enough. I don't do it on purpose, I'm just not hungry. I'm definitely NOT trying to starve myself, or using it as a tool to lose weight faster. I know about sending the body into starvation mode!

I was just asking because I'm so used to being hungry all the time, and now I'm working out more, and I'm not hungry. I could totally skip dinner tonight, and be perfectly fine. I won't, but I could.

today's meal:

1 1/4 c. shredded wheat (0 sugar, Whole Wheat - SB friendly)
1/2 c. skim milk
blueberries
splenda

salad w/ shrimp
SB Friendly dressing
Grilled cheese (r.f. cheese / whole grain bread)

on the menu for dinner
lean grilled sirloin
SB "mashed potatoes"
salad

So my plan is better today, but I'm not hungry for dinner at all. I'll eat it, but I could go without.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

sorry it does not look like south beach to me...

but it does not look like a bad menu...

2 slices of bread at lunch?

you're light on fruit you should have 2 fruit per day

maybe some protein at breakfast...

personally without dairy and beans i'd like to see more veggies..
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I don't always eat protein for breakfast. When I'm having oatmeal, my milk is my only breakfast protein, but I always drink V-8 with it.

I also think you need to incorporate more healthy oils other than dressing at lunch. Try using olive oil with dinner or nut butters with a snack.

I also struggle with lack of appetite sometimes on SB. I have to force myself to eat at some meals. This doesn't happen every day, but the fact that I'm not thinking about food all the time just blows my mind when I think about how I feel so much better eating this way!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #8  

for me at least it comes and goes. When my appetite is down, I enjoy it while I can because I know the week before TOM is coming eventually and I will wake up one morning wanting to gnaw my arm off.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #9  

Quote:
sorry it does not look like south beach to me...

but it does not look like a bad menu...

2 slices of bread at lunch?

you're light on fruit you should have 2 fruit per day

maybe some protein at breakfast...

personally without dairy and beans i'd like to see more veggies..
It was one slice of bread at lunch, with 1 slice of cheese

I did have an apple this afternoon, which I forgot, so I had another fruit.

I had string cheese and tomatoes and s.f. jello at work to eat today, I just never got around to it.

My usual breakfast is some sort of eggs, or egg beaters. I got excited to finally found some SB friendly cereal, that I had it today instead. It has 0 sugar, 6 grams of fiber per serving. The ingredient is "whole grain wheat." That's all. So I thought that was ok?

I didn't think I was having too many grains for week 4 of P2? A serving at breakfast, a serving at lunch, none at dinner. Assuming that the lunch bread was more grams, then that's 3 servings - but I thought still okay.

I just finished dinner, and ended up having green beans, 4 oz. of lean steak (the Laura's Lean Beef kind), a salad with oil and vinegar (romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, r.f. feta), and I changed from water to skim milk to get in more dairy.

Am I doing something else wrong? I promise I've read the book, and I've been planning meals and thought that I was okay - when I eat enough - other than the beans......and sometimes the dairy, but I'm trying to get that in.

Oh - and the soup from yesterday was white meat chicken, not dark meat - I have one here at the house that I just looked at - Campbell's Homestyle Chicken Noodle soup with egg noodles. (which I didn't eat).

Maybe I need to re-read P2 if it doesn't look like SB to you. Ugh.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I usually have 2 servings of fruit, 3 servings of grains if I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast, only 2 grains if I eat eggs for breakfast. The dairy is important to incorporate for calcium (but also some sources say dairy helps with weight loss). Cheese is a good source but lacks the Vitamin D found in milk. Do you supplement with calcium?
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #11  

Quote:
I usually have 2 servings of fruit, 3 servings of grains if I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast, only 2 grains if I eat eggs for breakfast.
That's basically what I've been doing as well.

If I have oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, I will only eat them one other time that day. Tomorrow I'm planning to have oatmeal, because I get home from bootcamp at 6:15 a.m., so I have plenty of time to cook it before I have to get ready for work.

I don't supplement with calcium, but I got in 1 1/2 cups of milk today, and will make a conscious effort to get the dairy in going forward.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #12  

What is bootcamp? Is it a class you're taking? Sounds interesting.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #13  

It's a 4 week fitness bootcamp. I'm doing it 3 days a week - M, W, F at 5:15 a.m. Lasts an hour. Today was only class #2 - and boy am I sore!

It's ladies only, and we have it at an elementary school. There are 15 of us signed up, and the instructor is a former Marine, but he's nice. Mostly.

The class changes each day, but today was lot of arms, abs, and cardio (running), with some squat jumps as well. Lots of jumping rope too.

He's already told us that Friday is going to be a "good leg workout," but I can barely sit now, so it should be interesting!