Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

Default Mixing it up...

I go to teh gym to exercise, adn I like to do a variety of things. I've read that this is good. For fastest weight loss, shoudl I mix it up in a week, or should I do a similar workout for 1-2 weeks in a row, adn then change to something different.

For instance, should I every week:

Day1: 90 min cardio, low HR (120's) intensity
Day2: HIIT training, 45 min cardio.. 2min low HR (120's), 30sec high HR (150's)
Day3: 30 min cardio 130's, 30 min weight train, 30 min cardio
Day 4: Kick box class
Day 5: 45 min running

OR, should I run for 2 weeks, the for 2 weeks switch to low intensity/longer time. What's better for keeping my metabolism in top gear??? TIA!!!
tigerchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

From what I've read, really HIIT is the way to go for keeping things fresh and keeping your metabolism in gear.

Is there a reason for 90 min cardio, low intensity? Are you doing some form of endurance training?

Last edited by nelie; 08-10-2008 at 10:00 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

I really do think your body gets used to an activity when you do it over and over again. I bike to work, but I make sure to do another form of exercise at least twice a week. And I'm pledging to do HIIT at least once a week--seriously, I never work as hard as when I do HIIT, and I really think my recovery time and endurance are improving because of it. My question is: you just list "cardio". Are you always doing the same cardio, or do you do different things? It does like like the 5-day plan you show mixes it up,so I think it's great! However, your body will tell you if you listen to it--if you're too tired, or breezing through your workout, or if you plateau, you can adjust accordingly. My 2 cents.
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 AM   #4  
=D

Keep your training at a high intensity - doing things like interval training is a great example.

Even though working at low intensity burns more percentage of fat calories - interval training burns more calories overall, and even though a smaller percentage are from fat, you're still burning more fat calories than low intensity.

Vary your cardio - treadmill, rowing cycling etc to keep your body progressing, and don't get too comfy with your routine - as this is when progress plateaus.

In a given week, include as much variety as you can - or even if you focus on a different sport each week. I personally prefer the first option as I can get bored with my routine.

If your are going to be doing things like running, kickboxing and HIIT (including lactate threshold training where you are working at 80% MHR or above) ensure you take a rest day in between the bigger sessions, as not doing so will contribute to overtraining and put excessive, unwanted stress on the body on top of the stress being generated by exercise.

Best of all, MOVE! As long as you are exercising instead of at home doing nothing, you are doing more good than bad.

Last edited by mazza; 08-11-2008 at 03:25 AM.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

Question How often???

I am glad I found this thread. I am also trying to mix things up at the gym. But my question is: Should I do so within a week or every 2 weeks or month? How long does it take for your body to get used to the same exercise?
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote