Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-09-2008, 02:59 AM   #1  
Fancy Shmancy bo Bancy

S/C/G: 168/115/110 Now: 129/129/105

Height: 5'2"

Default Mirror, Mirror...DIE!!!

Hello, chickadees (yes, I really did just say that)...

I joined this forum about a month and a half ago, and I just want to start off by saying that this website has kept me ridiculously motivated in a way that I wouldn't have been able to sustain on my own. Apparently feeling fat isn't as good a motivator as dancing carrot emoticons and silly little weight tickers with random armadillo or muffin graphics. Who would have known??

With the support of 3FC I have officially dropped 16 pounds since my start date on June 30th. I'm absolutely enthralled to see the scale steadily decline, and have learned to make healthier decisions, count calories and indulge in daily bouts of hellish excercise. I'm also extremely happy that the "Confessions of a Carb Queen" banner is no longer under the daily features of the homepage, because that big pink donut always gave me the WORST cravings! That thing was cruel, I tell you!

I've seen a slight difference in my stomach and around my face, but nothing noticeable to others yet. I started at 168 and am now at 152. I suppose I thought I'd see more of a difference by now physically, not just in a number on a scale. I wish I'd taken a 'before' picture to remind myself what I was a couple of months ago.

And the strange thing is I feel larger now than I did at 159. I felt absolutely wonderful when I left the 160's, and had this mental image of myself I wish I still had today. But now when I look in the mirror I get a bit depressed. I know logically I'm thinner, but why am I feeling so fat and crummy?

A friend of mine said I'll probably see the difference once I get into the 130's. I'm hoping to see it before then...

You know, because I'm an impatient American with instant gratification issues.

How long was it before you seemed to notice the physical differences in yourself? Were any of you in this disillusioned state of past-fatness? Like you were physically the same person you were before you even started? And for those of you who have reached your goal and maintained it, do you find yourself still dwelling in that "fat" mindset?

~Laura~
RedPorcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well... other people started to notice when I was down 15 or 20 pounds, but I had been heavier to begin with.

My basic body shape now is still the same--that didn't change. So, in my case, that means I still have fat on my midsection. But, I no longer have fat upper arms and thighs, back fat, large tush, or round face. Unfortunately I do have a bit of sagging skin, but I can live with that.

I think, though, that you'll find the more you lose, the more apparent the loss will become. For example, my waist measurement didn't change for the longest time, although everything else was changing. Then that started to shrink as well.

Outside of wanting instant gratification, I don't know why you feel "fat and crummy." Maybe you're just in the habit of thinking that when you look in the mirror and need to work on that reaction. Obviously it isn't reality...

You are doing very well! Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Laura, here are some dancing carrots for you!

(one for each pound lost!)

I'm with you on the big pink donut problem! And as for the question at hand, I feel the same. In previous weight loss attempts, I seemed to lose in certain places sooner than others, and so I saw a difference. This time it seems to be more of an all over thing, and though my pants are falling down, my proportions are the same, so I see myself the same as before I started. I guess we need to be patient, as unnatural as that is!

Btw, you are hilarious, are you sure you're not a comedy writer?
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It is harder to see our own loss because it is happening gradually. Someone who hasn't seen you in a while will notice it right away. They may not comment on it , though. Are you taking measurements? The tape measure does not lie.You have made a great loss, do not be discouraged, you will see it and so will others, be patient.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #5  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

After about 20 lbs is when I started seeing a difference, but it was mostly just in how clothes fit and looked on me.

Like JayEll, I am still the same shape, just smaller. So, when I stand in front of a mirror nekkid I still see the same person, and same shape, as I did 42 pounds ago.

I can really only see the difference when I am clothed, since everything looks so much better on me now.

BUT, I know if I hang in there and stay persistant that I will eventually change my shape, too. It will probably take a lot longer than losing most of the weight does, but with continued diet & exercise I know I can do it.

(I learned I could do this from our superstar maintainers here at 3FC, who have done the same thing.)
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 181/166/132

Height: 5'9

I know the crummy feeling. For me it comes and goes. And I do think I have reason to feel bigger some days - my body seems to retain water every now and then and make me feel all puffy and bloated.

How do your clothes feel? I know mine are looser. I haven't necessarily lost a size yet, but things that were getting tight fit nicely now and things that were ok are loose.

Since our self image constantly morfs to how we currently look it's hard to see change, so like others have said, look at the tape measure and the waistband of your trousers.
BlondeAmbition08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #7  
Fancy Shmancy bo Bancy

S/C/G: 168/115/110 Now: 129/129/105

Height: 5'2"

Thinking of what you all said, it may indeed be that I still am maintaining my original "proportions"...I have larger upper arms and thighs, those are the two areas I want to focus on the most. Of course I want my belly to go down, but these arms and legs are just killer. And those are the areas I'm not really seeing any results in.

I think another facet may be the fact that I don't feel that hungry anymore. When you're first adjusting to the new eating habits and caloric limitations, you sort of sit there with your cravings and feel a bit lighter in the tummy because it isn't so full. Then a few weeks go by and your stomach has adjusted, and you feel full again on less, which I think is tricking my mind into thinking I ate too much or something.

I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to feel hungry to lose weight. It's a psychological battle.

Thanks everyone for your input, I really really appreciate it. I'm going to keep on truckin' ahead, avoiding any hitchhikers wearing goalie masks and holding chainsaws behind their backs.

You all rock.
RedPorcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/144/130

Height: 5'5"

I definitely understand what you're going through and feeling heavier even when you are definitely losing. I would look in the mirror with disdain at my fat rolls and start feeling very alienated by my own body... like I was a thin person trapped inside all this extra flab, even after losing 20 or so lbs. I guess you can't get caught up in the numbers game. The scale shouldn't matter. Like it shouldn't be, "I weigh x amount of pounds, why do I not look/feel skinnier than i did 10 lbs. ago?" Just wait until you start getting reactions from people... "You look too skinny, we're getting worried about you." I thought people were nuts, but I guess I was looking a little gaunt when I was down to the 120's... which spurred a binge ED and now I'm back in the 140's. Anyway... your weightloss journey will vary day by day. Just try to look at the bigger picture and don't get hung up on the intermittant details.
skinnymel is offline   Reply With Quote