Old 08-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #1  

Default Weekend slip

I slipped over the weekend. I'm posting so I can be accountable. I started doing 'my' version of Atkins last week and not 'the' version of Atkins so I was bound to slip sooner or later. It wasn't an all out binge but I did go there, ice cream, toast, pasta. I'm back on plan this monring I'm not going to waste a lot of time beating myself up and I'm glad I came to my senses before my blood sugar got completely out of control. I haven't been preparing my meals right and I've had other personal problems to contend with lately so I wanted to get some comfort from food and I slipped and ate some but didn't get any comfort. What I got was fear that I was going back down that dark road of the sugar/carb blues. I'm back in the saddle again. One thing I noticed was that I stopped coming to this page during that week. I tend to put my eating choices on the back burner when I have other issues going on. I'm glad to be back and I'm taking it ODAAT.

Ruthie
msruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Ruthie-

I too have a some slips recently. for the past month I have not been journaling my food. I have allowed myself some treats. A few evenings of adult beverages, etc. Saturday was my worst day and as I went to bed Saturday night I told myself that Sunday I was going to recommit. AND I DID!!

The good news my month of relaxed eating did not cause my any weight gain, I did not lose any though either. So here I am back on track and ready to stay on plan!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

I went way off last night and today as well...we hosted a house party and of course, I HAD to drink. It was bacardi and diet coke though...kind of makes me feel a bit better. However, I did snack on a few chips and had a couple brownies once I was feeling the effects. Today was a killer too...I had a horrible hangover and there was no way I could handle anything in the meat/veggie department. So, I had a piece of apple pie, a chocolate chip and cookie dough blizzard from DQ and a bottle of gatorade. Back on plan now though!!

Hopefully this don't set me back too much...I'm guessing that it'll take a couple days of induction to get me back on track again...
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #4  

Default Back on track-Rant

Thanks for posting, I think I took my slip too hard. I'm reminded this morning as I look at your posts that my perfectionist side was getting the better of me. I wanted to do this WOE perfectly with no slips I wanted to cruise into my 100lb weight loss steadly and perfectly. Well that's not going to happen. I will do my best everyday and not let my little perfectionist devil get the best of me. Changing lifestyle habits and eating habits is not an overnight process and it's not easy. I didn't want to slip but I did and I found out why and now I'm moving on and hopefully I won't make those same mistakes again. But there may be mistakes and I don't think I was taking that into account. As much as I want this perfect weight loss I'm only human. I not only need a new WOE but I need a new way of thinking about food and slowly that's changing. I was slipping back into old habits of trying to change by myself too. That behaviour has nothing to do with food. As long as I don't read my book and don't post or read this forum then I can slowly slip back into my comfort thinking and comfort food. This is a real process for me more than just a diet. Everyone in my family has high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney problems, blindness, stroke, heart attacks. My grandmother has gone blind from her diabetes and has kidney and heart failure. But she doesn't want to stop eating macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, cornbread, cake, pies. Wow! So my perfect intentions were warranted but I don't want to get so down about it that I don't continue. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Ruthie
msruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #5  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Cool To err is human...

and the person we have to forgive is ourselves. (That's a grammar hot mess!) I went out Sunday night and fell prey to Captain Morgan's and diet coke with lime. It was 1000 degrees outside with ridiculous humidity, and I hate to say, my little cocktail was delicious. I did stop at one; I wanted about five. And switched to water. But I think it set off a sugar thing because I ate most of a recipe of ice cream made with Splenda yesterday. Uncool. And today I had the distinct displeasure of registering a 1 pound gain.

I'm trying to decide if it was worth it...probably not. So I'm back on track...we can do it. And when we slip, it is what it is.

I have a lot of weight to lose; I can't afford to get all flipped out if I stray. Have a great week, all.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #6  

Well...another weekend's here and I slipped already! This time i slipped horribly...I ate 2 Oatmeal to Go bars along with 5 slices of pepperoni and groud beef pizza. It felt awesome as I was chowing down on the pizza, but now of course i'm overwhelmed with disgust and guilt. Back on plan again tomorrow! I hope I just don't have too many of these "slips"...
Old 08-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/166/132

Height: 5'9

Sask, maybe you need to make the foods you can't eat less available to yourself. I mean, I can sit here and crave pizza all i want, but if I have to make myselft go out and buy it I will probably change my mind on the walk over to the pizzeria.

When you want something outside of the healthy feeling meat/veggies, make a dish with meat and lots of cheese, like the taco bake from Linda's. It feels like a something that one could never eat and at the same time be "on a diet", but with atkins, you can.
BlondeAmbition08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeAmbition08 View Post
I can sit here and crave pizza all i want, but if I have to make myselft go out and buy it I will probably change my mind on the walk over to the pizzeria.
Thanks for your suggestions!! It's much appreciated...

Well, I was craving pizza from about 3pm yesterday afternoon. I had porkchops and spinach for supper...didn't quite do the trick though. I kept thinking "pizza"!! Around 9pm, I had to drive my wife to a friend's place and on the way home I broke...I called and ordered my pizza to pick up. Lesson learned from this one...next time I drive my wife somewhere on a Friday night, leave the cell phone home so i can't call and order pizza.

Now, how much will these slips affect a person? I'm sure everyone's different, but if I "slipped" once a week...say every Friday night...and remained pretty much on plan the other 6 days, how much damage will it do? Is it more like the 2 steps forward, 1 step back? Thanks again...btw, sorry if i'm hijacking the thread, but figured since the topic was weekend slip, i'd keep it going...
Old 08-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #9  

I will join the "being accountable" posts - had 2 beers last night and a chocolate chip cookie, was out of town for a house party/pig roast. At least I had the pork without a bun...but today driving home for 5 hrs when my husband stopped for lunch his burger & fries looked so good I had the same thing.

Will increase water the next few days and back to induction! I can't start doing this only 2 weeks in.
Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #10  

Yesterday I had Stone Cold Creamery. Iw as still within my calorie alottment for the day, but SCC is not exactly a wise choice. (I am a calorie counter, but still know what weekend slips are.)

OK now that I have been accountable, I am gonna throw out a tip that I use for cravings.

If you are craving lets say Pizza since that is the example you used try this...Take a WW whole wheat english muffin ( around 100 calories) Toasts it and top it with a little pizza sauce, throw on some favorite veggies and some cooked chopped chicken breast, or even a couple slices of pepperoni a tablespoon or so of shredded low fat mozzeralla cheese and pop it under the broiler...PIZZA and you didn't go WAY off your plan.

I am a salsa-oholic. I used to eat lots of chips and salsa, salsa is not high in calories or carbs, so now I eat salsa on cucumber slices.

Sometimes I crave Ice Cream. I like the cold creamy texture. I blend 8 or 10 ice cubes with a cup of light vanilla soy milk, a teaspoon of cocoa powder and some vanilla stevia drops. It tastes similar to Chocolate DQ soft serve.

I think trying to find ways to substitute cravings for on plan choices is a key factor in sticking to a plan.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
OK now that I have been accountable, I am gonna throw out a tip that I use for cravings.
Thanks for those tips...i'll have to give those a try (if needed)...
Old 08-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 181/166/132

Height: 5'9

KateB, I don't know if you are aware of this, but you posted in the atkins forum. A whole wheat muffin is a weekend slip as far as atkins induction eating is concerned.

Anyone new to Atkins, please note that this person is not doing Atkins and that most of these suggestions are not Atkins apropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
Yesterday I had Stone Cold Creamery. Iw as still within my calorie alottment for the day, but SCC is not exactly a wise choice. (I am a calorie counter, but still know what weekend slips are.)

If you are craving lets say Pizza since that is the example you used try this...Take a WW whole wheat english muffin ( around 100 calories) Toasts it and top it with a little pizza sauce, throw on some favorite veggies and some cooked chopped chicken breast, or even a couple slices of pepperoni a tablespoon or so of shredded low fat mozzeralla cheese and pop it under the broiler...PIZZA and you didn't go WAY off your plan.

I am a salsa-oholic. I used to eat lots of chips and salsa, salsa is not high in calories or carbs, so now I eat salsa on cucumber slices.

Sometimes I crave Ice Cream. I like the cold creamy texture. I blend 8 or 10 ice cubes with a cup of light vanilla soy milk, a teaspoon of cocoa powder and some vanilla stevia drops. It tastes similar to Chocolate DQ soft serve.

I think trying to find ways to substitute cravings for on plan choices is a key factor in sticking to a plan.

Last edited by BlondeAmbition08; 08-11-2008 at 04:15 PM.
BlondeAmbition08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #13  

Yeah - low fat mozzarella cheese didn't sound right
Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #14  

Oopps- I usually just check out what is under "new Posts" and don't check the forms. Sorry for the mix up!!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #15  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Cool Pizza solution!

Here's what I did when I lost 70 pounds on Atkins eight years ago...I had a friend who ordered delivery pizza often when I was at her house. I just ate the top and left the crust entirely if I wanted some. My friends knew I didn't eat bread; they didn't care. Because the toppings are so rich - cheese, pepperoni, etc..., I don't think I ever ate more than the tops off two slices.

I don't suggest ordering it yourself and letting it sit around your house. You might read the section "When Does a Slip become a Binge" in Atkins to increase your awareness. And I might take my own advice! If I'd never started eating "white," I wouldn't have gained my weight back...but I'm working it ODAAT.

You can do it; we ALL CAN!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote