Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #1  

Default Constantly craving food, but never hungry.

So I realised today that I am always thinking about food. I'm not hungry. I just can't sit and not be eating. It's not even the eating part...I just want something in my mouth. I also don't feel like eating homemade food. Just want to eat out or eat junky snack food....

Anyone have any tricks to getting over this???
Chubby Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I really obsess about food all day too, so you're not alone. I can just tell you what I do: chew gum (I try to get long lasting gum), drink tea (sweetened w/ Stevia), do little exercises (push-ups, weighted hula hoop, etc.), go upstairs (away from food possiblities), watch youtube clips about weight loss, visit this website (as I'm doing right now, while I chew my gum). Make sure that you keep your blood sugar steady all day. You said you're never hungry, but just make sure that's really true. I find that if I get very hungry, then I'm out of control at night. I also know that controlling stress (poor sleep, anxiety, eating junk..which is hard on the body) makes me have less cravings. If you really want junky stuff, try low cal alternatives. I get my junk food "fix" by eating Lean Cuisine frozen meals. I love their panninis and they fill me up. I know they're not super healthy, but I doubt they're worse than McDonald's, but at least they're low cal. Finally, the number one thing that helps (I saved the best for last): counting calories. I keep a running tally in my head and if I keep track of calories (sometimes I have to guess), then I know where I'm at and I have some level of accountability...otherwise, it's just a free for all!

I simply can't believe medical science hasn't come up with a healthy solution to this problem! Until that day comes, I do all I can to get the eating under control. It never solves any problems and the comfort is very temporary. I really hope you figure out your own bag of tricks (feel free to take mine!) that will help you manage your cravings. I feel for you, that's for sure.

Good luck & hugs to you.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:26 AM   #3  
Recovering Sugar Addict

S/C/G: 160/158/145

Height: 5'6"

Hey chubby barbie! I totally obsess about food too. I think about it constantly, what I'm going to eat next, how long it will be. And advertising kills me... every sign on the side of the road or radio commercial. I finally just got pissed at myself and told myself I wasn't eating ANY of it until I cleansed the cravings... and I haven't eaten it yet.

I know it sounds hard and it was for the first couple of days, but I planned exactly what I was going to eat and when, and told myself "ok, you're going to feel like crap and you're going to hate it. accept it, you'll get over it in a couple of days."

I'm 14 days in from that decision, 6.5 lbs lighter and doing much better!! It is possible, you just need some good self talk and a plan to stick to. PM me if you want to connect for on going support, I could use it too... today was discouraging. too much good tasting food around that I had to say no to. sigh.

Last edited by Sciana; 08-09-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Sciana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #4  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

My trick for getting over it was to get on a scale and nearly die of shock when I saw the big fat number blinking back at me. It wasn't like I was under any illusions, mind you, but seeing 275 was a real dose of reality. And that gave me a big dose of will power.

Junk food - whether it is a Snickers bar, a tube of Pringles, or a Whopper - is addictive. Certainly refined sugar is, but the salt and the fats also have their seductive powers. Your body was designed thousands of generations ago to want those things - they were rare but essential. Now? Not so much with the rare part, but your genes haven't gotten the news.

Even a couple days away from refined sugar and the cravings will subside a great deal. Some folks can treat themselves with 100 calorie packets of this or that but for myself, I find it's all or nothing. If I break the cycle and get a couple days away from my addictions then I'm golden.

One of my co-workers is a phenominal baker. She made toffie bars last week and I dutifully took a very small piece of one piece. I actually didn't like it. It wasn't that I'd overcome my love of chocolate and butter and sugar, but more that this particular combo just didn't really work for me. So, as I ate it I thought "excellent! I don't like this! I won't be tempted." Yet, not 10 minutes later I found myself REALLY craving another one. The thinking part of my brain, the part that had paid attention while I ate my tiny sample knew very well that I hadn't really liked it. But the cro-magnon part of my brain was ready to go hunt down that wiley tupperware and get more. More more more.

Saying "no" to junk food is hard. But carrying around an extra 100 pounds (or even just an extra 25) day after day after day is even harder.

Good luck!!!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I used to be like that too.. I love food for the taste.. expecially when I used to get home from grocery shopping.. I wanted to taste all the goodies I bought at once! I find what helps me is that I EXERCISE everyday and I remember how many calories I burned during my hour of cardio.
So when I am bored and I wanted a taste of something bad like ice cream at Dairy Queen.. I looked it up.. and there was no way that little sundae was worth all that sweat and energy to work off.

I ALso feel being on South Beach helped alot too.. It has you take away all those refined carbs and high carb foods for phase one.. to get them out of your system.. the longer I was on it.. the less I craved those foods. Very rarely now I will want something bad like ice cream. Instead I'll want that homemade sorbet I make..
Now I only eat when I am hungry.. and I never eat until I am stuffed.
You need to find something that will work for you.

Good Luck!
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgurl0531 View Post
Instead I'll want that homemade sorbet I make..
Mmmmm Send some of that here! (haha total fat girl comment huh?)

Thanks ladies for the advice! I'm gonna try it all!!!
Chubby Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I count calories. Before I eat anything, I put it in the website (Daily plate)...usually if it's something "bad" (binge food), I'm so horrified by the amount of calories and the number of servings I would eat, I no longer crave that food when I'm not hungry. If I really feel the need for something in my mouth and tummy, I'll go for some fruit.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/190/170

Height: 5'11"

I agree about the always craving food. I guess what I do is try to remember that I associate food with happiness because whenever something good happens, I eat, not because eating causes happiness.
whenever I need a little boost to stand those cravings I usually look in the magazines. there are soo many clothes in there I would love to be able to wear, and if I keep giving in to cravings, I never will be able to.
good luck to you!
EMFand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 315/?/145

Height: 5'10

I like to keep a selection of "healthy" junk that wont kill my calorie allotment if I try some...my current favorite are sugar-free jolly ranchers (I swear they taste the same), and a pacifier covered with diet soda...it sounds weird, but often times all I'm looking for is something to keep in my mouth.
ciadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:51 AM   #10  
Burning it away

If you look at a drug addict or an alcoholic much of the time they dont want that specific substance because they want it, but because theyre addicted and are so used to having it in their system. Your craving fast food and the only way your going to get over it, like any addict, is time and determination. It will take time, but eventually you'll stop craving. Good luck!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 203/188/135

Height: 5'2"

Lucky mommy and Sciana,

I'm new here, but I too obsess about food all day long. I think about what I'll make for dinner tomorrow, while I'm eating dinner today!

I love cooking, I love being in the kitchen. I could spend hours grocery shopping, reading all the labels and looking at all the different foods. I read restaurant reviews. I watch for new food specialty shops opening up. I love food.

Also, I don't like "wasting" calories. I tell my husband, I can only consume 1,500, so those 1,500 had better taste good!! When I go to restaurants, it's practically torture trying to select something because I know I can only eat this meal, and so it had better be good.
FreshOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #12  
Burning it away

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshOne View Post
Lucky mommy and Sciana,

I'm new here, but I too obsess about food all day long. I think about what I'll make for dinner tomorrow, while I'm eating dinner today!

You'll probably find that if you plan your meals and snacks in advance you'll obsess less over the food
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #13  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Is there something you really want that thoughts about food distracts you from wanting or thinking about?
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote