Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/see ticker/195

Height: 6'2"

Default Zucchini Bread?

Hi guys,

I must admit, I LOVE zucchini bread (and banana bread and heck, many many breads). I am looking for a very healthy version, but without sacrificing the taste. Aren't we all?

I was thinking about taking a normal recipe and replace the following:
- eggs to egg whites
- oil to applesauce
- sugar to splenda
- maybe 1/4 of the flour with finely ground fiber one cereal

What do you guys think? Too many replacements? Anyone have a tried and true recipe for zucchini bread? Help....I am jonesing for it.

Thanks
Angie
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I've been doing a lot of substitutions when baking lately. Last week I made a high protein/fiber blueberry muffin. I've also recently revamped a zucchini chocolate cake. Twice. Once for lower calories, and once with protein powder and soy flour. My first attempt at a zucchini bread ended up just a touch dry. The next one will be better. Here's a few things I've learned so far.

- egg whites are an okay substitution, however, they seem to make the finished product a little more tough. I figure as long as you're not making a single serving, whole eggs are better

- I've only used Splenda (so far) once - the brown sugar blend. It seemed to do a pretty good job.

- substituting applesauce for oil is a good choice, however, leave a small amount of the oil in - don't know why, but it does make it better

- adding in a small amount of soy flour can actually make things a little softer, however, it doesn't rise as well so you need to adjust by adding more rising agent and/or wheat gluten

- watch the moistness of the batter. A couple of times when playing I've made it too dry. You end up with a dry/tougher final product.

So, if you're interested:

http://realcdn-recipes.blogspot.com/...hini-cake.html
This one was really good. I gave pieces to a couple of neighbours and asked for opinions. Everyone was surprised that it was low-fat and relatively low-cal. I took it from 181cals per piece to 106 (less if you skip the chocolate chip icing).

http://realcdn-recipes.blogspot.com/...n-muffins.html
Now, I'm not a huge muffin fan but these are starting to grow on me. They ended up small, but two muffins are under 200 calories with 14g of protein and 6g of fiber.

If anyone is interested in the protein powder chocolate cake recipe just let me know. It's on my list of things to put up on my recipe site but I'm just running behind. It turned out pretty well, more of a dense gingerbread type quality though.

Last edited by RealCdn; 08-07-2008 at 10:43 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default "Country Woman" Zucchini Bread

I made this, this morning with a few changes from the original recipe. I have tried three different brownie recipes and left out all of the oil and it just doesn't work for me. I think splenda dries stuff out, IMOP.

Cinnamon Zucchini Bread
3/4 c. sugar - swapped this out for 3/4 c. of granular Splenda
1/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. canola oil
2 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. of all-purpose flour - I used 1 c. whole wheat and 1/2 c. AP flour
1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
1/4 tsp soda
1 1/4 c. shredded peeled zucchini
1/2 c. raisins Didn't use because of sugar content

In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar, applesauce, oil, egg whites and vanilla until well blended. Combine all of the dried ingredients; and gradually beat into egg mix. Fold in zucchini and raisins. Bake in a greased 8"x4"x2" loaf pan at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan and put on wire rack to cool. 12 servings.

Nancy J.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #4  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

[QUOTE=nanj;2307682]I made this, this morning with a few changes from the original recipe. I have tried three different brownie recipes and left out all of the oil and it just doesn't work for me. I think splenda dries stuff out, IMOP./QUOTE]

Funny you should mention that. I did a zucchini bread the other day and I felt it was too dry as well. I do usually leave a Tb of oil in when I'm adding applesauce, however, this time I used Splenda brown sugar blend as well. I will probably try it again but I may not use the Splenda.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I've been making this recipe for Carrot-Zucchini Yogurt Muffins from Martha Stewart and I think they come out fabulous. They make a nice sized muffin with a spicy flavor. I substitute non-fat yogurt for lowfat and leave out the nuts and they come in at about 90 calories per muffin. They aren't super sweet, so you might want to add some Splenda if you like your muffins sweeter.

Also, Cooking Light has several recipes for lower calorie zucchini bread.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 08-08-2008 at 10:06 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

How about using ground flaxseeds instead of fiber cereal? I'd only substitute approx 1/4c of the flour in the recipe though.

You can substitute 1T soy flour and 1T water for each egg.

Make sure to leave some oil in, otherwise you'll end up with a dry tough product.

Also, lower your oven 25 degrees and check often. Substituting can sometimes lead to a shorter cook time.

Last edited by zenor77; 08-08-2008 at 10:11 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote